• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry and "dress code"

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
and to dougy, it's also show & tell time.... show the world I am a wealthy elitist & tell everyone how much I spend on my affluent clothing with my 1000.oo coat & creepy fedora. you keep talking about being equal, but you love rubbing everyones face in the fact that your so much better off than them.
I live in a small town community. As a fund riser my church has an annual rummage sale. For years, more than mine here, we have had an anonymous donor that works as a model for a high-end mens clothier. He is just my size. I have benefited.

Yes, I am an elite in so many ways. Not least for having been an employee for my entire working life. Wealthy? Time will tell. How ya doin' DJ?
there ya go again, talking down to someone..How ya doin' DJ ? < nice try

Well thanks for asking, I am doing great ! Booking weddings like crazy for the upcoming wedding season. The wedding show at shopko hall is paying off like normal, my $ 1000.00 booth is always a good value, bookings are up compared to a slower 2009, last year weddings were down a little maybe 10 percent but I still did like 42 weddings & about a dozen other events...so i did alright Thanks & the best part of it, I don't have to answer to anyone as long as i deliver what i promise, i love being self employed doing what i want , when i want to do it`only working the weekends. so, yes, things are really:) good, thanks for asking !!!

bigdaddy1

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Imagine this. You work in an office which has people from other countries as part of the staff. A new female employee from Iran comes to you for some information and when she appears, she is wearing full covered garb from her country - you know, face and hair covered, long black body covering, etc. Regardless of how you might think you'd react, I can pretty much guarantee you will experience a wall of separation initially. Granted, in time, this may disappear. But at first, you will not treat her in the same manner as you would if she were to dress like an American. Once again, it's simple human nature.. and it is not a bad thing.

I would be more nervous about the biker than the burka. Being more familiar with what bikers do:what:

scorpio_vette

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:

I would be more nervous about the biker than the burka.  Being more familiar with what bikers do:what:

HEY.....careful what you say. you wouldn't want this big bad biker coming to visit you. cuz then you/d have to tell me what it is that bikers do, so i could do it. LOL

i'm a biker, but i'm not a 1%er.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Mike wrote:
If you want tohelp normalize gun ownershipthru open carry, then one should strive to appear and behave like a respectable and trustworthy member of American society, and one who others will identify with - that does not necessarily mean dressing up like a college young republican dork with dockers and a collared shirt all the time - but how you behave is more important the number of piercings or wiskers.

Dressing casual (shorts, flip flops, t shirts) is fine and sometimes good to remove from other's minds that your might be some sort of plain clothes policeman - defeats the startegic objectiveof open carry if people think you are law enforcement.

Are you open carrying a normal properly holstered handgun in a discreet manner - or are you "flaunting it," or carrying the gun in a shoulder holster with teh muzzle pointing at people's faces, or stuck down your pants, or an unusually dangerous lookingweapon, trying to get attention, cause a problem, etc?

Are you going about your business normally, or are you loitering somewhere, trying to get random people to talk to you?

Is your appearance casual, confident, and pleasant, or are you edgy or starring at people?

Are you casually holding somthing in your carry hand like coffee or keys, or are you dangling your hand by your holster like you might need to draw at any time?

These questions are self-explanatory.

We win by open carrying without incident - a day where nobody appears to notice or care isa winning day for all.

Its not for everybody - conceal carry is an option in most states too.

Here goes....: "Dress to the gun." In all sincerity... most men these daysdress like complete slobs. Shorts? Unless you're under six years old;you look like an idiot. Hang a gun on 'em and you look like a bigger idiot. Flip flops/sandals... (and a gun)? Total idiot.

Try 'fire and maneuver' in flip flops. Who dresses you guys... your mother? Dress like an adult... not some kid ready for a day at the playground or beach.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Here goes....: "Dress to the gun." In all sincerity... most men these daysdress like complete slobs. Shorts? Unless you're under six years old;you look like an idiot. Hang a gun on 'em and you look like a bigger idiot. Flip flops/sandals... (and a gun)? Total idiot.

Try 'fire and maneuver' in flip flops. Who dresses you guys... your mother? Dress like an adult... not some kid ready for a day at the playground or beach.
+1

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Mike wrote:
If you want tohelp normalize gun ownershipthru open carry, then one should strive to appear and behave like a respectable and trustworthy member of American society, and one who others will identify with - that does not necessarily mean dressing up like a college young republican dork with dockers and a collared shirt all the time - but how you behave is more important the number of piercings or wiskers.

Dressing casual (shorts, flip flops, t shirts) is fine and sometimes good to remove from other's minds that your might be some sort of plain clothes policeman - defeats the startegic objectiveof open carry if people think you are law enforcement.

Are you open carrying a normal properly holstered handgun in a discreet manner - or are you "flaunting it," or carrying the gun in a shoulder holster with teh muzzle pointing at people's faces, or stuck down your pants, or an unusually dangerous lookingweapon, trying to get attention, cause a problem, etc?

Are you going about your business normally, or are you loitering somewhere, trying to get random people to talk to you?

Is your appearance casual, confident, and pleasant, or are you edgy or starring at people?

Are you casually holding somthing in your carry hand like coffee or keys, or are you dangling your hand by your holster like you might need to draw at any time?

These questions are self-explanatory.

We win by open carrying without incident - a day where nobody appears to notice or care isa winning day for all.

Its not for everybody - conceal carry is an option in most states too.
Ahh, don't you mean "democratic dork"?

bigdaddy1

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:

HEY.....careful what you say. you wouldn't want this big bad biker coming to visit you. cuz then you/d have to tell me what it is that bikers do, so i could do it. LOL

i'm a biker, but i'm not a 1%er.

I am also a biker, and am a 99%er

MMRpics080.jpg

and my bike

025-2-3.jpg

SouthernBoy

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Imagine this. You work in an office which has people from other countries as part of the staff. A new female employee from Iran comes to you for some information and when she appears, she is wearing full covered garb from her country - you know, face and hair covered, long black body covering, etc. Regardless of how you might think you'd react, I can pretty much guarantee you will experience a wall of separation initially. Granted, in time, this may disappear. But at first, you will not treat her in the same manner as you would if she were to dress like an American. Once again, it's simple human nature.. and it is not a bad thing.

I would be more nervous about the biker than the burka. Being more familiar with what bikers do:what:
My scenario was just the first thing that came to mind. It could have been anything, really. My point was, like it or not, people do form initial impressions of others - it's human nature and we are hardwired to do this as a defense mechanism. It is not a bad thing because it can and does work to our advantage in exceptional situations.

I was hoping our OP saw this and understood where I was coming from. But then again, I can always take the position that I frankly don't give a s--t what others think. Of course, when OC'ing that is one stance I avoid because I very much want to present a positive image of Americans who chose to carry a firearm.

bomber

imported post

i'm proud of my right to carry a gun. i'm proud of the fact that i don't need to ask for permission to do so. and i sure as hell am proud that it doesnt matter what other people think of me and i don't need their approval of how i present myself in order to carry a gun. i'm not about to conform to some preconcieved idea of what a gun owner should look like. i follow the law, i use my weapon safely and responsiblyand i keep to myself. i would hope fellow gun owners could understand that.

if i want to wear shorts and flip flops with my gun on my hip, i will do it. it may not fit with what you think is ok, but as a citizen of this great country, i don't have to care. if i get a mwag call on me, i'll deal with it and move on. but i'm not gonna let it affect how i present myself.

bigdaddy1

imported post

I knew what you were after Southern, but how else am I going use the dancing banana?

Most people have predetermined opinions of a person based on their appearance, that is a given. However why normalize open carry for one stereo type, only to alienate others? My pic above is pretty much how you would see me carry, sans the leather jacket (wouldn't want to conceal). I do understand that some are concerned over appearance, but normalcy is not always average.

bomber

imported post

exactly bigdaddy. its not "normal" if only one type of gun owner is presented to the public.

45acpForMe

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
... However why normalize open carry for one stereo type, only to alienate others? My pic above is pretty much how you would see me carry, sans the leather jacket (wouldn't want to conceal). I do understand that some are concerned over appearance, but normalcy is not always average.
Good point. I wouldn't be threatened by you (in the leather coat or not) carrying. A little old granny might. :)

I would say that desensitizing the general public to OC-ers is "a" goal so not scaring them is the first step. That is why I say, smile! The next step is to convince them that it is their best interest to take responsibilty for their safety and consider carrying themselves.

The more good people carrying the less crime!

scorpio_vette

imported post

this is one of the best i can find right now. i'm somewhat camera shy, so if you want a pic, you better keep up or get me drunk. LOL

13932_159869734498_655129498_2790715_6420951_n.jpg

45acpForMe

imported post

I would be more afraid of your ride. It looks like it has piercings all the way down its backside! Ouch!

I miss the days before helmet laws. I used to ride without one in CA but when I moved to VA I got pulled over a couple times for not wearing one. Eventually sold my bike for lack of riding (VA thunderstorms all summer made riding each day a crap-shoot).

cscitney87

imported post

Here's the deal. I'm 22. I literally look like I'm 17. Plus I'm tiny in height and weight. Point being, half my total weight is the iron on my hip. I look like a kid with a gun. I do. Anytime I get my haircut I always get asked what high school I go to. That being said- I haven't run into any problems OC here in Colorado. I wear my old nasty baseball cap backwards with a slant. I wear my jeans with holes in them. I wear tshirts and I have my left arm sleeved. There's been court rulings on this issue- when a Latin American was arrested for OC and the judge ruled that just because the Latin American had tattoos and a buzz cut and long shorts doesn't mean he doesn't have the same rights as anyone else. Your clothing represents your freedom of speech. Just like your 2nd Amendment, guard the 1st with your life. For these are our American moral values. In 1776, people had tattoos. Nothing new here. Rock it, man, that's what I'm trying to say. Rock those tats, that size 10 hole in your ear, those tattered shorts and an old pair of shoes. Your gun could be the pretties, shiniest, most glorious item in your repertoire.

scorpio_vette

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
I would be more afraid of your ride.   It looks like it has piercings all the way down its backside! Ouch!

I miss the days before helmet laws.  I used to ride without one in CA but when I moved to VA I got pulled over a couple times for not wearing one.   Eventually sold my bike for lack of riding (VA thunderstorms all summer made riding each day a crap-shoot).

good eye. LOL yeah did some custom rear lights on it before a bike rally last year, and since most of the hardware was removed with the lighting, i needed something to tie the inner and outer fender back together. so i bolted them together with the spikes. LOL i currently have the bike completely disassembled to finish the theme across the whole bike.
here's a better view of the rear fender. thought you might get a kick out of it. LOL
5573_243004865093_612595093_8151585_4874351_n.jpg

45acpForMe

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
here's a better view of the rear fender. thought you might get a kick out of it. LOL
5573_243004865093_612595093_8151585_4874351_n.jpg
Looks kind of like those bed of nails. You can acupunture yourself at 65 mph!

Just don't spike the seat!:what: Gotta love freedom of "expression"!

SouthernBoy

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
I knew what you were after Southern, but how else am I going use the dancing banana?

Most people have predetermined opinions of a person based on their appearance, that is a given. However why normalize open carry for one stereo type, only to alienate others? My pic above is pretty much how you would see me carry, sans the leather jacket (wouldn't want to conceal). I do understand that some are concerned over appearance, but normalcy is not always average.
We're cool.

I don't see where your attire or appearance is anything other than comfortable casual. Looks fine to me.