• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry and "dress code"

sudden valley gunner

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
I just wear casual- jeans, t-shirt, hat, but I am VERY self concious about how fat I am. It just doesn't look right for me to be obese and OC. I've tried losing weight and went about 3 months more than a year ago, lost 20 pounds of fat and went to size 16, but then it stopped, I just couldn't lose anymore. Then my nutty hormones peaked andI got too moody to do anything anymore. Men can do Atkins and do 30 mins hard workout daily and drop 10 pounds a week or so, but us women have it so it's like trying to climb Mt Everest without oxygen tanks.

However, size 18-20 or size 16, no one really notices when I OC. I was only asked about it once and it was positive. LOL I was wearing a coyote skin with the coyote's head on top of mine, and this drew the primary attention. It was after chatting 5 mins about York county coyotes when the guy said " oh I see you carry too". It was Halloween night btw. I went out into PA as an "XD40 Coyote".
Don't be super self conscience about your weight. People have different body types some will be thin no matter what they do others will be larger. If your body doesn't want to loose more I say just stay healthy and be comfortable who you are. And keep up the good work open carrying.

NightOwl

imported post

I normally wear a pendleton, black pants, stocking cap, and black boots. Unsurprisingly, nobody runs in terror, babies don't cry at the sight of me OC, and livestock with two heads aren't born simply due to my presence.

okboomer

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
I just wear casual- jeans, t-shirt, hat, but I am VERY self concious about how fat I am. It just doesn't look right for me to be obese and OC. I've tried losing weight and went about 3 months more than a year ago, lost 20 pounds of fat and went to size 16, but then it stopped, I just couldn't lose anymore. Then my nutty hormones peaked andI got too moody to do anything anymore. Men can do Atkins and do 30 mins hard workout daily and drop 10 pounds a week or so, but us women have it so it's like trying to climb Mt Everest without oxygen tanks.
Yeah, I got a few pounds on, too ... but it just makes me fluffy :lol:I do manage to loose a few pounds with a modified Atkins ... I found that if I suffer through hunger pains for about 3 hours before eating any meal and drinking a lot of water or unsweetened tea, and manage my portions, I can shed the pounds like a guy ... but then I suffer from chocolate withdrawal :banghead:Then the hormone swings really get going ... it's just healthier for all if I get my daily *fix* of chocolate.

Besides, I spent a lot of years learning how to be a goodcook ... home made apple, cherry, chocolate, and lemon merrainge pies, peach and blackberry cobbler, home baked bread and cinnamon rolls, a sirloin roast that makes even cattlemen ask if it is ribeye roast, and potatoes and carrots, and gravy, and fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy, and chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes and gravy, and grilled pork chops with baked potatoes, and baked chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy, and fried catfish with fried okra, and fried porkchops and mashed potatoes and gravy ... and then there is all the fresh vegetables I grow in my organic garden each year ...

XD40coyote wrote:
I went out into PA as an "XD40 Coyote".
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

okboomer wrote:
...SNIP
Besides, I spent a lot of years learning how to be a goodcook ... home made apple, cherry, chocolate, and lemon merrainge pies, peach and blackberry cobbler, home baked bread and cinnamon rolls, a sirloin roast that makes even cattlemen ask if it is ribeye roast, and potatoes and carrots, and gravy, and fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy, and chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes and gravy, and grilled pork chops with baked potatoes, and baked chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy, and fried catfish with fried okra, and fried porkchops and mashed potatoes and gravy ... and then there is all the fresh vegetables I grow in my organic garden each year ...

SNIP...
I am available for adoption.:lol:

45acpForMe

imported post

okboomer wrote:
... home made apple, cherry, chocolate, and lemon merrainge pies, peach and blackberry cobbler, home baked bread and cinnamon rolls, a sirloin roast that makes even cattlemen ask if it is ribeye roast, and potatoes and carrots, and gravy, and fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy, and chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes and gravy, and grilled pork chops with baked potatoes, and baked chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy, and fried catfish with fried okra, and fried porkchops and mashed potatoes and gravy ... and then there is all the fresh vegetables I grow in my organic garden each year ...
Now I'm hungry!

I suggest people eat until satisfied then stop. The last thing I want to see roaming the streets is a hungry/hornery OC-er (not to mention hormones/hot-flashes) :uhoh:

iheartglock

imported post

i feel so uncomfortable when i OC. Im a young guy (20) and wear usually shorts and tee shirts or jeans and a hoodie in the winter and man i can just feel the thoughts going on in peoples heads when they pass by.

bigdaddy1

imported post

iheartglock wrote:
i feel so uncomfortable when i OC. Im a young guy (20) and wear usually shorts and tee shirts or jeans and a hoodie in the winter and man i can just feel the thoughts going on in peoples heads when they pass by.
I agree, they must think your nuts wearing that hoodie.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

okboomer wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:

Well, If you ever find yourself in the northern reaches of WI,We could use another talented cook in our catering Biz.
I can guarantee pork will be something you may not enjoy anymore since we cook about 6,000 pounds of it each summer, withabout 2 tons of beef, and 1 ton of chicken in 3 months time. All done in wood-fired cookers.
Everything you own will smell like BBQ.

45acpForMe

imported post

iheartglock wrote:
You are just being selfconcious. Wear a belt and a good holster and you will be fine. The people wearing hoodies that make me worry aren't usually OC-ing.

My usual attire is khaki shorts and tshirt for 9 months then jeans and flannel for the winter 3 months (gotta love southern VA) :). As you get more comfortable with OC-ing you may actually forget you are carrying at times.

If you are going to imagine peoples thoughts, think good thoughts like "Man He is prepared to defend himself" and "What a cool gun, should I ask to look at it closer?"So far the majority of comments I have gotten have been positive. Occassionaly the rude comment comes along but you just have to let it roll off your back and continue doing what you know is right.

ufcfanvt

imported post

Carry when and how you want.
Wear what you want.
You obviously see the point that "normal-looking" carrying is advantageous to the movement as a whole so:
Recruit 2-3 professional-looking people to the cause and when they OC at least once a week, then you can enter Open Carry Heaven when you die :p

david.ross

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Recruit 2-3 professional-looking people to the cause and when they OC at least once a week, then you can enter Open Carry Heaven when you die :p
Everyone gets a kimber 1911 custom with the option of solid gold or silver. :cool:

Dreamer

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Everyone gets a kimber 1911 custom with the option of solid gold or silver. :cool:

That's only in "Democrat Heaven", where EVERYTHING costs twice as much as it should, doesn't work half the time, but LOOKS really spiffy... :p

Personally, I'd rather go to "Pagan Heaven", where everyone is sexy, in-shape and beautiful; the rivers flow with mead; and anything you need grows on the trees... ;)

I'd be happy to be allowed to bring my "earthly" firearms with me, have an unlimited supply of Heavenly Ammo, and a constantly-changing IPSC course to play on...:celebrate

And of course, John Browning would be there, to custom-tune my 1911's.

A ECNALG

imported post

So far, I have only group UOCed for the purpose of distributing literature and promoting the concept of UOC to the general public.

I prefer a dress-casual style of clothing for this purpose. Usually light colored Dockers pants and a nice shirt, both of which make the holstered firearm more noticible than if I werewearing jeans or clad inblack.

Because my objective is to inform, educate and persuade, I dress the part. Some of my fellow group members, however, dress as if they were preparing to clean their garage. To each his/his own, certainly, but one thing for sure, not one of these people would show upfor a job interview dressed as they do for group UOC events !

And that's just the point. Appearance DO matter.

Generalizing here, folksget tattoos and piercings to make a statement about themselves and to convey a nonverbal message about themselvesto the people around them. Nobody spends perhaps hundreds of dollars to have a huge tattoo applied to their back just because they are an art lover. It's there for OTHER people to see.

Just as the Revvvverannnnd Jesse Jackson would rather see five white guys behind him in a dark alley than five black guys, I would rather see, and would feel far more comfortable around,a smartly dressed individual carrying a firearm than one who looks like the homeless guy at the freeway offramp with his cardboard "give me money" sign.

Old Grump

imported post

Shorts or tie, limo or bike, hairy or bald, you come to my house carrying a gun be prepared with lots of ammo because the talk will be of guns and we will go into the back yard and destroy some perfectly good targets till they cry uncle. If you are pierced I will make fun of you, if your ink work is good quality I will comment on it, If your bike is 750 or bigger, biker brother will be all over you comparing notes but first we shoot. My yard my rules. Temp gets above 65 the only time you will see me in long pants is if I am going to a wedding or a funeral and no I will not wear a tie. Threw most of them away and gave the last ones to my nephew. Bolo tie is dressing formal for me. Using a hose on my boots to get the mud and uh...stuff off is going semi formal.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Old Grump wrote:
Shorts or tie, limo or bike, hairy or bald, you come to my house carrying a gun be prepared with lots of ammo because the talk will be of guns and we will go into the back yard and destroy some perfectly good targets till they cry uncle.  If you are pierced I will make fun of you, if your ink work is good quality I will comment on it, If your bike is 750 or bigger, biker brother will be all over you comparing notes but first we shoot.  My yard my rules.  Temp gets above 65 the only time you will see me in long pants is if I am going to a wedding or a funeral and no I will not wear a tie.  Threw most of them away and gave the last ones to my nephew.  Bolo tie is dressing formal for me.  Using a hose on my boots to get the mud and uh...stuff off is going semi formal. 

so where is blue river??? sounds like a good time with you making fun of my piercings while complimenting my tattoos and checking out my bike. LOL

Old Grump

imported post

Put a ruler on the map and draw a line straight west of Cudahy and mark out 157 driving miles. I'm 6 miles west of Muscoda and 1 mile east of Blue River. Let me know when you want to take that ride. You will have to stop at RumbleSeats in Spring Green an old fashioned 50's style drive in and buy a gallon of the house brand root beer or you won't be allowed past the mailbox. I'll provide the targets and the ear muffs and if it's not raining the grill. We will think of something to put on it.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Old Grump wrote:
Put a ruler on the map and draw a line straight west of Cudahy and mark out 157 driving miles.  I'm 6 miles west of Muscoda and 1 mile east of Blue River.  Let me know when you want to take that ride.  You will have to stop at RumbleSeats in Spring Green an old fashioned 50's style drive in and buy a gallon of the house brand root beer or you won't be allowed past the mailbox.  I'll provide the targets and the ear muffs and if it's not raining the grill.  We will think of something to put on it.   

i'll most likely take you up on that. my buddies and me are always looking for reasons to rack up the miles. just gotta figure out how to strap the shotgun onto the bike.

wait.........isn't there that part where you can have it open in your vehicle if it's completely visible??? so basically if i strap it on the back of the bike, possibly in an upright position, it should be legal. LOL

Old Grump

imported post

It's a popular route for bikers and my brother can show you some of his favorite ride routes in the area. As for shotgun I cannot tell you but I would think if it's in the back and your ammo is up front but I don't know. My last time armed on a motorcycle was on the back end of my other brothers bike in Miami Fl. I carried a 22 rifle uncased in my fist on the way to and the way back from the rifle range and we were passed by a lot of squad cars who didn't look twice at us.

Stopped at a light next to a squad car and the officer riding shotgun asked if we were going to the range. I said yep, have fun he says and drives off. That was about 66 or 67, it was a different world back then.

Best ask somebody who knows these things because this dinosaur doesn't ride so it has never come up and biker brother doesn't do shotguns so its out of his area of expertise. If you bring a few buddies bring tents, I have a 12 acre backyard and lots of firewood available.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

I wear jeans or cargo pants and a T-shirt to church. When I dress up, it's only because I have a business meeting or I'm taking my wife out for a nice evening. I have a $2000 Corneliani suit I haven't worn since I quit lawyering. I doubt it fits anymore anyway. I think the best anyone could say of my everyday attire is that it doesn't smell bad. So maybe I'm not the poster-boy for OC.