• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has anyone contacted Ottawa County Sheriff about OC?

d_hillman00

imported post

I will be starting to OC next month when I purchase my gun! I just wanted to send a message to Ottawa County Sheriff Department reminding them about OC and it being legal. I haven't come acrossed any email for the sheriff directly, so I may have to call down there and proceed in that manner. But if someone has already informed them about OCing then that will save me some time. Also if you could let me know how long ago you informed them as well, as they might need a recent reminder. And if someone knows the email for Mr. Rosema (sheriff) that would be helpful is well. I can't wait to join you guys in the ranks of OCing next month, I am counting the days. Keep the OC stories coming, I read them all day as they come in! Happy OCing!

autosurgeon

imported post

All of the Sherriffs Departments have received a packet of info on OC.

And I really haven't heard of any problems up there. I have OCed as has my brother in Grandville not that far from you.

Michigander

imported post

It happened at the big Sheriff's meeting last year.

The thing is, worrying much about what the cops know is a mistake. You need to be far more concerned with your ability to handle bad encounters with the police, should they be stupid enough to harass you.

A solid knowledge of wash rinse repeat is a must, and in my opinion you should have no less than 2 recorders, including a "spy" recorder which you can easily get from ebay, so that police won't know it's a recorder. Worst case scenario, you can catch them on video taking away your gun and other recorder, and perhaps acting like fools in other ways too.

d_hillman00

imported post

I am not really worrying about the police as I have come to find out per this forum. I have been studying this forum for the past two months and just became a member a couple of weeks ago for the internet part and will becoming an official member come next month as well. What I am trying to do is cover all the aspects I can to inform as many people that I may come into contact with while OCing. I know that there will still be issues that may arise and police may be involved but if I know I took all the routes possible to me and informed those individuals, it may be easier for OCing, minus regular citizens of course. As soon as I receive my gun I will be an avid speaker for OCing and informing regulars as much as possible. I guess the biggest goal on this forum is to get everyone on the same pages as the laws are concerned. So if the county needed a refresher of OCing, I would be willing to do that! I am glad to be part of the OCing family and I can't wait for the gun and OCing next month.

THway

imported post

Mr Hillman,

Please do not take this the wrong way. But by trolling on this forum for 2 months reading over the posts and such is great and all, in fact i did it myself. However this is not nearly enough time that needs to be spent looking at the laws and so on and so forth. TRUST ME I KNOW. i thought i knew, and sadly i did not. I had to learn the hard way. a very painful way. Remember mr hillman, baby steps... you must crawl before you can walk.

signed,

The friendly neighborhood felonious felon

Im just kidding with the name... but i will explain that in due time...

d_hillman00

imported post

No, I understand what your saying! I have to laughingly say I am unemployed since August and I have been studying not just the forum but the laws as well. I have a lot of time on my hands. So studying OCing has been my full time job, lol. I do alot of cross reference and visiting the library as well. This carry a gun thing wether OC or CC it is something I feel strongly about and it just didnt come about, I have been around guns since I was little. I am glad for your input, its much appreciated. The more the members talk the more knowledge I will gain. Thanks again

autosurgeon

imported post

Another thing I would recommend would be attending a meet and eat or other event, as you will be able to see how others carry and discuss how to handle questions.. both by LEO and the public..

There is one coming up in Kzoo that might interest you.

Glock 19

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
All of the Sherriffs Departments have received a packet of info on OC.

And I really haven't heard of any problems up there. I have OCed as has my brother in Grandville not that far from you.

Since there is a New Sheriff in Saginaw Co. (federspeil) did Saginaw co. geta new LEO pkt sent to them when federspeil took over last yr.

here's another thought, maybe one or two people in each county should a send new info pkt when there is a change of the "guard"

its just a thought not trying to ruffle feathers.........;)