• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CT carry in a bar/restaurant

Beezdeep

imported post

Does anyone know what the law is for carrying in a restaurant's bar area? I know that common sense dictates not to mix alcohol and carrying one's weapon. Does this mean you can't sit at the bar of a restaurant while carrying?

Work demands that I'm frequently on the road and I'll typically have lunch by myself where I'll grab a seat at the bar where I can watch TV. Since we're talking lunch here, I'll never have more than one beerover the courseof my meal. I'd ratherhave my piece on me than leave itthe car.

Of course, If I'm meeting friends at a bar for a few drinks after work the piece either stays home or secured in the trunk because clearly that isn't the time to carry.

I've looked through the CT General Assembly rules but can't find a clear statute on this.

Tazman2

imported post

If I recall there is no law saying you can't carry at a bar or any place that serves alcohol in CT as long as you have a permit. But you drink and things change.

Edward Peruta

imported post

There is NO prohibition which prevents you from carrying with a valid permit in any establishment that serves alcohol. It is illegal to be inpaired or intoxicated while carrying a firearm.

This was resolved in the fall of 2007 when the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners removed an incorrect position from their website and acknowledge the fact that there is not law against carrying in this type situation.

You might also like to know that many stolen handguns are taken because permit holders left their weapon behind in their vehicle to enter a bar or nightclub.

There was a case out of Bristol wherea person's permit was taken and later revoked revoked after being ovserved consuming alcohol by a private off duty police officer at a local bowling alley. The appellant admited to consuming two beers while carrying with a valid permit but was never found to be impaired or intoxicate and the board returned his permit. I believe that Attorney Ralph Sherman handled the appeal.

NickNt

imported post

Correct me if i am wrong, i believe the specific statue states that the person can not be "visibly" impaired, such as i believe, staggering around etc....

and the person can not have, in his system, more then 1/10 of 1 percent of alchol, which i believe translates to .10 right? Also, the law for being legally intoxicated for driving is .08 correct? If someone could be kind enough to verify that information i would be grateful, thank you.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Impaired while carrying a fiream has a threshold of .07

DUI while operatinga motor vehicle has a threshold of .08

Carrying a firearm while intoxicated has a threshold of .10

DPS attempted in the past to have the 10 firearms threshold lowerd to the DUI threshold.

I hope thisanswers your question

NickNt

imported post

So which one of those 3 is actually the illegal one? the.10? .08? or .07?

Granted if i ever go into a bar carrying i have a total of 1 shot of whiskey and chicken fingers while playing pool, i know that does not impair me, but which one of those standards is actually against the law?

Edward Peruta

imported post

Sec. 53-206d. Carrying of firearm while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drug prohibited. Class B misdemeanor. (a)(1) No person shall carry a pistol, revolver, machine gun, shotgun, rifle or other firearm, which is loaded and from which a shot may be discharged, upon his person (A) while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, or both, or (B) while the ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person is ten-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight.

(2) Any person who violates any provision of this subsection shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor.

(b) (1) No person shall engage in hunting while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, or both, or while impaired by the consumption of intoxicating liquor. A person shall be deemed under the influence when at the time of the alleged offense the person (A) is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, or both, or (B) has an elevated blood alcohol content. For the purposes of this subdivision, "elevated blood alcohol content" means (i) a ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person that is ten-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight, or (ii) if such person has been convicted of a violation of this subsection, a ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person that is seven-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight. A person shall be deemed impaired when at the time of the alleged offense the ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person was more than seven-hundredths of one per cent of alcohol, by weight, but less than ten-hundredths of one per cent of alcohol, by weight.

(2) Any person who violates any provision of this subsection shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

(3) Enforcement officers of the Department of Environmental Protection are empowered to arrest for a violation of the provisions of this subsection.

(P.A. 98-129, S. 20; P.A. 00-142, S. 3.)

History: P.A. 00-142 amended Subsec. (a) by designating provisions as Subdiv. (1), making technical changes therein, designated former Subsec. (b) as Subsec. (a)(2), making a technical change therein, and added new Subsec. (b) re hunting under the influence.

NickNt

imported post

Yes, but part "b", where is specifies the 7 hundreths, specically says in the beginngin of the subsection that is talking about hunting while impaired

aadvark

imported post

In Conneticut it is Legal to Carry your Firearm to or while at: 1. any Airport, 2. any Bar/Restaurant, 3. any Church, 4. Entertainment or Sporting Event, 5. any Political Rally or Function, 5. any Public Building, 6. any College/University, and almost everywhere esle.

Be careful though..., there is no Firearms Preemption Law in Connecticut. Therefore, the flood gates are still somewhat open to allow Local Laws to make a quilt-patch-work of Firearm Ordinances throughout the State. However, there is still some hope though..., because, there are Court rulings that indicate the Legislature has implicity regulated '... much' of what can be regulated in Connecticut in relation to Firearms.

Still though, Local Regulation may well be possible...

buketdude

imported post

aadvark wrote:
4. Entertainment or Sporting Event,
The XL Center has lots of "No Firearms" signs so I do not carry there..although I would like to..i am not concerned about losing my permit so much as I am if they banned me from there..I enjoy Wolfpack Hockey games!! I would also like to ensure my safety walking too and from my car there..i carry pepper spray for what its worth...

stacks04

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:

DPS attempted in the past to have the 10 firearms threshold lowerd to the DUI threshold.

can someone explain to me the difference between impaired while carrying a fire arm, and carry a firearm while intoxicated. thanks. just curious is all. i normally dont carry while i am out drinking, nor do i go out often drinking for this reason.

Leverdude

imported post

stacks04 wrote:
Edward Peruta wrote:

can someone explain to me the difference between impaired while carrying a fire arm, and carry a firearm while intoxicated. thanks. just curious is all. i normally dont carry while i am out drinking, nor do i go out often drinking for this reason.
Impaired is when they find out your not legally intoxicated but still dont want to let you go.