Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in VA - Suspect surrenders

Post imported post

Just saw it on foreign news - wasn't that easy to find it on the US sources. Don't know if it's been posted before, but I couldn't find it here.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/20/...ngs/index.html

(CNN) -- A suspect in the shooting deaths of eight people in Virginia turned himself in Wednesday morning and was taken into custody, a spokeswoman for the Virginia State Police said.
    Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller identified the suspect as Christopher Speight, 39. She said he approached a law enforcement officer and surrendered without incident about 7:10 a.m.

Geller said charges are pending.

Authorities think he acted alone in the shootings, said another Virginia State Police spokesman, Tom Molinar.

Local coverage from CNN affiliate WTVR

Geller said police don't know Speight's relationship to the victims, but he was acquainted with them.

"Obviously, this is still unfolding as we speak," Geller said at a news conference.

In an earlier statement, she said the investigation is moving "into the next phase and will concentrate on the identification of victims, next of kin notification and processing of the crime scene."

Seven people were killed in and around a home in Appomattox, about 75 miles from Richmond in central Virginia, and the eighth was found in the middle of a road, Molinar said. Males and females were killed, but authorities did not provide their ages.

Police were trying to determine a motive.

The investigation started Tuesday afternoon with a 911 call reporting a man lying in the middle of Route 703.

"The male subject was transported by Med-Flight State Police helicopter to Lynchburg General Hospital, where the man later died," State Police said.

On arrival at the scene, police heard gunshots in the area. A search turned up seven bodies.

Police established a perimeter around a large area of Appomattox County on Tuesday afternoon, Molinar said, suspecting Speight was within it. The manhunt included canine units and helicopters.

"During the course of the search Tuesday afternoon, a State Police helicopter was shot by the suspect," the State Police said in a statement. "The helicopter was struck at least four times" and "was able to make an emergency landing in a field near the scene."

The bullets that struck the aircraft indicate Speight had a high-powered rifle, Geller said.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Shall be interesting to see what may have "prompted" this guy to do such killing as he's done. From what is being reported by WSET the guy apparently had a clean criminal record, was a CHP holder and was well liked. As me and others in my industry know, even if you hold the highest of clearances and have a squeaky clean background, no one knows what a person will do tomorrow, especially if a person feels threatened or finds themself in apparently desperate times.

I suppose if anything this goes to show, even people you may know and trust can turn and do something nasty at any moment, thus it's necessary to always be prepared to defend yourself and your family.

Post imported post

Anderson said he has known Speight about five years and that she and her husband, David, both have concealed weapons permits and have been to Speight’s home in Appomattox for target practice.
    Speight has had a concealed weapons permit issued in Appomattox County since 1999, according to court records, and he last filed to renew it Jan. 6.
    It still amazes me that they focus on this.

Who cares? <- rhetorical
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Yup, it's pretty much a "who cares?" thing to mention. From some reporting I've seen it appears he used a rifle, or at least used one to tag the helicopter. I'll bet like most other peoplein this areahe also occasionally ate Oreo's, went to church on Sunday and occasionally spends time walking in the woods. So what if he wanted to carry a firearm or any other tool for self defense, prior to this heinous act?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

jmelvin wrote:
    was a CHP holder
    but he wasnt shooting with a handgun and it was not concealed.

I wonder if he had a drivers license too.

or if he is a member of Blockbuster Video

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Yup, see post immediately above yours ed and even the next sentence in my post that you quoted.

*I'm not sure if you were knocking me for mentioning it, but it's already out there, so someone not already on the board and unfamiliar with us might see this thread and think we're trying to conceal the fact that he's a CHP holder by not mentioning it, so I mentioned it and discussed it. Being a CHP holder has no bearing on this other than to show that a person's lawful actions in the past are just that, past, and only may infer that a person will continue to act lawfully (or not get caught) in the future.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    jmelvin wrote:
    was a CHP holder

Â*

guess which one of these facts will receive media attention, and by virtue of that, be linked to his criminal acts. So when Joe citizen reads the article or sees the news brief, they will come away with this: "Criminal had CHP, therefore people with CHP's are potential criminals." Idiocy, yes, but that will probably be the picture painted, however subtle the connection may be.

Post imported post

Unfortunately, we see a prime example of why the news media will fight so hard to see that HB79 does not become law.

The anti-gun media absolutely drools over any chance to link a violent killer to a CHP.

TFred

Post imported post

SoldierMedic wrote:
    ed wrote:
    jmelvin wrote:
    was a CHP holder

guess which one of these facts will receive media attention, and by virtue of that, be linked to his criminal acts. So when Joe citizen reads the article or sees the news brief, they will come away with this: "Criminal had CHP, therefore people with CHP's are potential criminals." Idiocy, yes, but that will probably be the picture painted, however subtle the connection may be.
    Obviously these news reporters don't understand the statistics behind the rare nature of things like this.

Perhaps we should start a campaign that says something like "Whenever a CHP holder commits a violent crime, you should buy a lottery ticket, because maybe lightning will strike twice that day..."

TFred

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    SoldierMedic wrote:
    ed wrote:
    jmelvin wrote:
    was a CHP holder

Obviously these news reporters don't understand the statistics behind the rare nature of things like this.

Perhaps we should start a campaign that says something like "Whenever a CHP holder commits a violent crime, you should buy a lottery ticket, because maybe lightning will strike twice that day..."

TFred
    between this incident, and the guy in philly, I should go buy a ticket. :?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    SoldierMedic wrote:
    ed wrote:
    jmelvin wrote:

TFred
    Yep, he is a bad apple. And to think, we trusted him to take a handgun in a tree stand....During Bow Season. Shocking!:P

In all seriousness, it looks like both the mainstream news and the police are starting to hint that he is a militia member or terrorist.

Possible booby traps in the house, had weapons training judging by the weapons found...I'm not sure how they got that. I know people that have very expensive target rifles...and couldn't hit the broad side of a barnm from inside.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    Anderson said he has known Speight about five years and that she and her husband, David, both have concealed weapons permits and have been to Speight’s home in Appomattox for target practice.
    Speight has had a concealed weapons permit issued in Appomattox County since 1999, according to court records, and he last filed to renew it Jan. 6.
    It still amazes me that they focus on this.

Who cares? <- rhetorical
    I'm not amazed. I've heard many pro-gun and pro-concealed-handgun-permit-extra-privilege people use CHP to further their agendas, too. "CHP/CCW holders are some of the most law abiding citizens..."

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
    wylde007 wrote: I'm not amazed. I've heard many pro-gun and pro-concealed-handgun-permit-extra-privilege people use CHP to further their agendas, too. "CHP/CCW holders are some of the most law abiding citizens..."

+1

Post imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
    I've heard many pro-gun and pro-concealed-handgun-permit-extra-privilege people use CHP to further their agendas, too. "CHP/CCW holders are some of the most law abiding citizens..."
    Touché
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

CHP, veteran, trained in explosives, lived in a log cabin, worked as a security guard - how bad is that? :shock: The guy was a nut case maybe but not for any of these reasons - he is an individual, not representative of any group.

Explosives found in house.
    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/ne...cident/318637/

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Washington Post article has some quotes from a 1995 CHP application that sound like character references.

When did we switch from may-issue to shall-issue, and did the may-issue process require character references? I haven't been paying attention that long.

Somehow it seems wrong for CHP applications that include character references to still be open court records, especially since they are not currently required.

TFred

Post imported post

VA became a "shall issue" state in 1988 but many judges didn't follow the state law, or added additional requirements, so VA was de facto a "May Issue" state. Va strengthened the shall-issue language in 1992 (because some judges were refusing to renew valid permits when they came up for renewal).

The state enacted stringent "Shall Issue" statutes in 1995, and now judges can't impose any sort of additional requirements above what the state law stipulates.

I'm not sure why a 1994 permit would have recommendation letters with it, because under the VA CHP laws, you don't need such letters. But some Judges have required people to submit letters of recommendation (in violation of the requirement statutes), especially in the NoVa counties...

However, since this 1994 permit app was before the 1995 Shall Issue statute, the local judge may have had additional requirements....

Here is the current VA statute on concealed carry laws:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Washington Post article has some quotes from a 1995 CHP application that sound like character references.

When did we switch from may-issue to shall-issue, and did the may-issue process require character references? I haven't been paying attention that long.

Somehow it seems wrong for CHP applications that include character references to still be open court records, especially since they are not currently required.

TFred
    Change from may issue to shall issue clarified in 1995

Summary of 1995 bill which was approved:
    Concealed handgun permits. Modifies the criteria for issuance of a permit which is made applicable to only handguns. Under current law, an applicant must demonstrate a need for the permit. The bill requires issuance of a permit to any person 21 years of age or older unless a disqualifying event has occurred

Virginia’s Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) statute (SB744) of 1995
    Approved by Governor-Chapter 829 (effective 7/1/95)

Character witness were required prior to that date and in some instances a personal interview to determine "need."

Still a matter of public record avail until/unless we get that door closed.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Thanks for the history.

This case sure highlights why the newspaper industry hates the idea of closing the court clerk leak of CHP application info.

TFred

Post imported post

What the antis often leave out is no one is perfect. A permit is no more than a piece of paper verifying a criminal background check, it doesn’t make any one person over another any more special, nor is it a guarantee that they are not a criminal that hasn’t been caught or that their motivation is good. It as well does not guarantee that criminal agencies have reported properly, in which those mistakes often are overlooked in purpose by the antis to further their agenda.

Having said that, wasn’t it in Maryland that a cop was caught selling a gun illegally out of the trunk of his car? How many true cases of police brutality have been proven? How many cops have gone bad, and either been fired or are facing prison terms for their wrong doings? This does not in itself even have to deal with gun owners or peoples who’s jobs revolve around guns, look at the many politicians, bankers, and more with high profile jobs. With a pen or their actions can do more harm to millions with out firing a single shot? Seems they should be expected to have a better track record, and held to a higher accountability but no the anti gun focus on one thing the true law abiding.

Quite often what is like using sand paper instead of soft toilet paper to me is the antis refuse to acknowledge that if in fact, there had been another gun owner there the chances of having as many casualties would have been diminished. Than again something his concealed didn’t cover were his bombs. I would take that to mean if he didn’t have access to his guns he would have found another way to do his damage.

Last criticism in the matter for now is how the antis are so quick to jump on the band wagon of bad gun that they missed the warning signs. As in Texas, as well as VA Teach, the signs were all there, but for them it is easier I guess to try and ignore that, and chalk it up to an anti-gun agenda rather than get to the root of the problem. Seems that some things never change, and we have to deal with the brunt of their ignorance.

This is one reason we should have Alaska style rules, Concealed carry no permit needed. As I believe that piece of paper marked permit, while it may have its perks is worth just that, a piece of paper. Why not have permits not to carry? Sorry for the rant just venting.

Note, one comment above, was not to discredit the many fine men and women in uniform, but only to remind that there are bad apples in every bunch. You wouldn’t chop down a tree for a few bad apples and that is exactly what the antis try to do.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Thanks for the history.

This case sure highlights why the newspaper industry hates the idea of closing the court clerk leak of CHP application info.

TFred
    Maybe we should start calling it the "court clerk loophole".

Post imported post

I think the more important question is - what is the importance of a CHP that was issued in 1995 have to do with anything at all, other than showing at one time he was responsible enough to do the things required to get one.

What I would like to know is if he had it renewed in the last 5-8 years. Even then, it's not a story because as someone else pointed out, he didn't use a handgun, and it wasn't concealed. When I heard this story break I thought Oh crap. Here's fodder for the anti's to use. The more I thought though, how important or even relevant is a permit issued back that far to what he did? I see none really.

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    I think the more important question is - what is the importance of a CHP that was issued in 1995 have to do with anything at all, other than showing at one time he was responsible enough to do the things required to get one.

What I would like to know is if he had it renewed in the last 5-8 years. Even then, it's not a story because as someone else pointed out, he didn't use a handgun, and it wasn't concealed. When I heard this story break I thought Oh crap. Here's fodder for the anti's to use. The more I thought though, how important or even relevant is a permit issued back that far to what he did? I see none really.
    True, he didn't use a handgun. However, he did have a permit and that is seen by the anti's as a contradiction to permit holders being law abiding. It makes no difference to they what the percentage is when one guy along took out 8 people.

I agree that this shouldn't mean anything but perception is everything. When a story like this gets prime time coverage all most people see is "CHP holder kills 8, loaded house with bombs". I would doubt we would be seeing this much coverage had a CHP holder pulled 10 people from a burning home, car, or plane.

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:

He appears to have had a CHP continuously since 1995 - his application for renewal was in process at the time - yes it is only relevant as fodder for the antis.

What always strikes me as ludicrous is the reference to the permit when someone does have a permit. Is it the permit that caused or allowed the shooting to occur? If that were the case, bg would not shoot anybody until/unless they had a permit.

Yata hey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast