• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting in VA - Suspect surrenders

Chaingun81

imported post

Just saw it on foreign news - wasn't that easy to find it on the US sources. Don't know if it's been posted before, but I couldn't find it here.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/20/virginia.shootings/index.html

(CNN) -- A suspect in the shooting deaths of eight people in Virginia turned himself in Wednesday morning and was taken into custody, a spokeswoman for the Virginia State Police said.
Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller identified the suspect as Christopher Speight, 39. She said he approached a law enforcement officer and surrendered without incident about 7:10 a.m.

Geller said charges are pending.

Authorities think he acted alone in the shootings, said another Virginia State Police spokesman, Tom Molinar.

Local coverage from CNN affiliate WTVR

Geller said police don't know Speight's relationship to the victims, but he was acquainted with them.

"Obviously, this is still unfolding as we speak," Geller said at a news conference.

In an earlier statement, she said the investigation is moving "into the next phase and will concentrate on the identification of victims, next of kin notification and processing of the crime scene."

Seven people were killed in and around a home in Appomattox, about 75 miles from Richmond in central Virginia, and the eighth was found in the middle of a road, Molinar said. Males and females were killed, but authorities did not provide their ages.

Police were trying to determine a motive.

The investigation started Tuesday afternoon with a 911 call reporting a man lying in the middle of Route 703.

"The male subject was transported by Med-Flight State Police helicopter to Lynchburg General Hospital, where the man later died," State Police said.

On arrival at the scene, police heard gunshots in the area. A search turned up seven bodies.

Police established a perimeter around a large area of Appomattox County on Tuesday afternoon, Molinar said, suspecting Speight was within it. The manhunt included canine units and helicopters.

"During the course of the search Tuesday afternoon, a State Police helicopter was shot by the suspect," the State Police said in a statement. "The helicopter was struck at least four times" and "was able to make an emergency landing in a field near the scene."

The bullets that struck the aircraft indicate Speight had a high-powered rifle, Geller said.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Shall be interesting to see what may have "prompted" this guy to do such killing as he's done. From what is being reported by WSET the guy apparently had a clean criminal record, was a CHP holder and was well liked. As me and others in my industry know, even if you hold the highest of clearances and have a squeaky clean background, no one knows what a person will do tomorrow, especially if a person feels threatened or finds themself in apparently desperate times.

I suppose if anything this goes to show, even people you may know and trust can turn and do something nasty at any moment, thus it's necessary to always be prepared to defend yourself and your family.

wylde007

imported post

Anderson said he has known Speight about five years and that she and her husband, David, both have concealed weapons permits and have been to Speight’s home in Appomattox for target practice.
Speight has had a concealed weapons permit issued in Appomattox County since 1999, according to court records, and he last filed to renew it Jan. 6.
It still amazes me that they focus on this.

Who cares? <- rhetorical

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yup, it's pretty much a "who cares?" thing to mention. From some reporting I've seen it appears he used a rifle, or at least used one to tag the helicopter. I'll bet like most other peoplein this areahe also occasionally ate Oreo's, went to church on Sunday and occasionally spends time walking in the woods. So what if he wanted to carry a firearm or any other tool for self defense, prior to this heinous act?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yup, see post immediately above yours ed and even the next sentence in my post that you quoted. :)

*I'm not sure if you were knocking me for mentioning it, but it's already out there, so someone not already on the board and unfamiliar with us might see this thread and think we're trying to conceal the fact that he's a CHP holder by not mentioning it, so I mentioned it and discussed it. Being a CHP holder has no bearing on this other than to show that a person's lawful actions in the past are just that, past, and only may infer that a person will continue to act lawfully (or not get caught) in the future.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
jmelvin wrote:
was a CHP holder
but he wasnt shooting with a handgun and it was not concealed.

I wonder if he had a drivers license too.

or if he is a member of Blockbuster Video

:lol:

guess which one of these facts will receive media attention, and by virtue of that, be linked to his criminal acts. So when Joe citizen reads the article or sees the news brief, they will come away with this: "Criminal had CHP, therefore people with CHP's are potential criminals." Idiocy, yes, but that will probably be the picture painted, however subtle the connection may be.

TFred

imported post

Unfortunately, we see a prime example of why the news media will fight so hard to see that HB79 does not become law.

The anti-gun media absolutely drools over any chance to link a violent killer to a CHP.

TFred

TFred

imported post

SoldierMedic wrote:
ed wrote:
jmelvin wrote:
was a CHP holder

guess which one of these facts will receive media attention, and by virtue of that, be linked to his criminal acts. So when Joe citizen reads the article or sees the news brief, they will come away with this: "Criminal had CHP, therefore people with CHP's are potential criminals." Idiocy, yes, but that will probably be the picture painted, however subtle the connection may be.
Obviously these news reporters don't understand the statistics behind the rare nature of things like this.

Perhaps we should start a campaign that says something like "Whenever a CHP holder commits a violent crime, you should buy a lottery ticket, because maybe lightning will strike twice that day..."

TFred

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

TFred wrote:
SoldierMedic wrote:
ed wrote:
jmelvin wrote:
was a CHP holder

Obviously these news reporters don't understand the statistics behind the rare nature of things like this.

Perhaps we should start a campaign that says something like "Whenever a CHP holder commits a violent crime, you should buy a lottery ticket, because maybe lightning will strike twice that day..."

TFred

between this incident, and the guy in philly, I should go buy a ticket. :?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
SoldierMedic wrote:
ed wrote:
jmelvin wrote:

TFred
Yep, he is a bad apple. And to think, we trusted him to take a handgun in a tree stand....During Bow Season. Shocking!:p

In all seriousness, it looks like both the mainstream news and the police are starting to hint that he is a militia member or terrorist.

Possible booby traps in the house, had weapons training judging by the weapons found...I'm not sure how they got that. I know people that have very expensive target rifles...and couldn't hit the broad side of a barnm from inside.

virginiatuck

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Anderson said he has known Speight about five years and that she and her husband, David, both have concealed weapons permits and have been to Speight’s home in Appomattox for target practice.
Speight has had a concealed weapons permit issued in Appomattox County since 1999, according to court records, and he last filed to renew it Jan. 6.
It still amazes me that they focus on this.

Who cares? <- rhetorical
I'm not amazed. I've heard many pro-gun and pro-concealed-handgun-permit-extra-privilege people use CHP to further their agendas, too. "CHP/CCW holders are some of the most law abiding citizens..."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
wylde007 wrote: I'm not amazed. I've heard many pro-gun and pro-concealed-handgun-permit-extra-privilege people use CHP to further their agendas, too. "CHP/CCW holders are some of the most law abiding citizens..."
+1

wylde007

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
I've heard many pro-gun and pro-concealed-handgun-permit-extra-privilege people use CHP to further their agendas, too. "CHP/CCW holders are some of the most law abiding citizens..."
Touché

TFred

imported post

Washington Post article has some quotes from a 1995 CHP application that sound like character references.

When did we switch from may-issue to shall-issue, and did the may-issue process require character references? I haven't been paying attention that long.

Somehow it seems wrong for CHP applications that include character references to still be open court records, especially since they are not currently required.

TFred

Dreamer

imported post

VA became a "shall issue" state in 1988 but many judges didn't follow the state law, or added additional requirements, so VA was de facto a "May Issue" state. Va strengthened the shall-issue language in 1992 (because some judges were refusing to renew valid permits when they came up for renewal).

The state enacted stringent "Shall Issue" statutes in 1995, and now judges can't impose any sort of additional requirements above what the state law stipulates.

I'm not sure why a 1994 permit would have recommendation letters with it, because under the VA CHP laws, you don't need such letters. But some Judges have required people to submit letters of recommendation (in violation of the requirement statutes), especially in the NoVa counties...

However, since this 1994 permit app was before the 1995 Shall Issue statute, the local judge may have had additional requirements....

Here is the current VA statute on concealed carry laws:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
Washington Post article has some quotes from a 1995 CHP application that sound like character references.

When did we switch from may-issue to shall-issue, and did the may-issue process require character references? I haven't been paying attention that long.

Somehow it seems wrong for CHP applications that include character references to still be open court records, especially since they are not currently required.

TFred
Change from may issue to shall issue clarified in 1995

Summary of 1995 bill which was approved:
Concealed handgun permits. Modifies the criteria for issuance of a permit which is made applicable to only handguns. Under current law, an applicant must demonstrate a need for the permit. The bill requires issuance of a permit to any person 21 years of age or older unless a disqualifying event has occurred

Virginia’s Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) statute (SB744) of 1995
Approved by Governor-Chapter 829 (effective 7/1/95)

Character witness were required prior to that date and in some instances a personal interview to determine "need."

Still a matter of public record avail until/unless we get that door closed.

Yata hey