• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC in Miami

rpyne

imported post

I am going to be taking a business trip to Miami in February to attend a conference and am seeking advice on OC/CC.

I am a Utah resident and hold a Utah CWP. I OC most of the time.

rpyne

imported post

I got a little more information on the trip. The conference is being held at a Miami Beach beachfront hotel.

After reading what I could find on restrictions of CC, the one that raises a question is the restriction on places that sell alcohol for consumption on premises. Assuming that the hotel has a bar, does the restriction apply to the entire hotel or just the bar? Also, if they serve alcohol on the beach, then would the restriction apply to the beach area?

Please excuse my ignorance, I have never been to Florida nor to any beach resort, so all I have for understanding of what such a resort is like is what I have read or seen on TV.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

rpyne wrote:
I am going to be taking a business trip to Miami in February to attend a conference and am seeking advice on OC/CC.

My understanding is that you can't OC a handgun in Florida. IF you have a license you HAVE to CC only.

mavidal

imported post

rpyne wrote:

Florida is a CC state, so you must conceal. You cannot carry in the following locations:
Bars that are exclusively alcohol, you can carry in the restaurant and non bar portions of a facility, but cannot leaglly carry at the bar.
No schools or courthouses
No governement buildings (local, state and federal)
Basically if you don't print, don't worry, but government buildings have metal scanners so forget that.
At airports, I would have it locked up in your bag, unless your flying a private aircrart.

brboyer

imported post

mavidal wrote:
rpyne wrote:

Florida is a CC state, so you must conceal. You cannot carry in the following locations:
Bars that are exclusively alcohol, you can carry in the restaurant and non bar portions of a facility, but cannot leaglly carry at the bar.
No schools or courthouses
No governement buildings (local, state and federal)
Basically if you don't print, don't worry, but government buildings have metal scanners so forget that.
At airports, I would have it locked up in your bag, unless your flying a private aircrart.

There are no restrictions on state/local government buildings. Only meetings of governing bodies.

See here.

mavidal

imported post

BR, thanks for the correction but every federal office building down here in Miamuh that I have been in has X-ray equipment and metal detectors, so I would not even think carrying into one of those.

MV

brboyer

imported post

mavidal wrote:
BR, thanks for the correction but every federal office building down here in Miamuh that I have been in has X-ray equipment and metal detectors, so I would not even think carrying into one of those.

MV
Sorry, you are correct for Federal buildings. I updated my post.