• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats the beef with Springfield XD, and Glock

wally1120

imported post

I was curious about why people hate the XD, Glock? What is so bad about either one of them? I would like to hear reasons why people like to Dis them. I would like to see good and bad about both of them.

EM87

imported post

Some people don't like "plastic" guns. I have a GLOCK and I love it. It's really just personal preference. There's nothing wrong with either. GLOCK pistols are highly reliable and are carried by many LE departments. That should tell you something.

I believe the XD has a grip safety (and maybe a manual safety as well?). GLOCKs have no external safety other than the trigger safety. That is a deciding factor for many people. Also, the grip angle on a GLOCK is much more aggressive than on most other pistols. You have to angle your wrist a bit steeper. That of course is also personal preference.

That's just what came to mind - hope it helps a bit.

wally1120

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Some people don't like "plastic" guns. I have a GLOCK and I love it. It's really just personal preference. There's nothing wrong with either. GLOCK pistols are highly reliable and are carried by many LE departments. That should tell you something.

I believe the XD has a grip safety (and maybe a manual safety as well?). GLOCKs have no external safety other than the trigger safety. That is a deciding factor for many people. Also, the grip angle on a GLOCK is much more aggressive than on most other pistols. You have to angle your wrist a bit steeper. That of course is also personal preference.

That's just what came to mind - hope it helps a bit.

I have a Glock and a XD and love both of them. I was just trying to see why people are talking bad about one, or the other. I like each one just the same, True they are different guns. But I worked around both of them, And love each of them the same. The XD does have a Grip Safety, But not all of them have a External Safety, I think it would be stupid to have a External Safety like that on a XD.

I am just trying to see why people talk bad about either one of them, I own both, So I do have experience with them. But I was reading that Glock`s Suck, Or XD`s Suck. And was just wanting to see what peoples views on each were.

FatboyCykes

imported post

It's just personal preference to most and a silly bigotry for some. I shot a few Glocks and a few XD's before deciding on the XD. For me it was the grip safety, the grip angle, but mostly the grip size. I guess I have small hands, Glocks never felt right to me.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

simple question, simple answer. Xd is just better:p

LOL just being a troll

really its mostly preferance, one has certain features the other doesnt. This is like having two high schools in one town, theres gonna be a rivalry for the sake of competition. Both schools of thought are the same, school is school people will dis each other,the boys will fight about it all day, but those same boys from one school would jump in the sack with the girls from the other school in a second. If youre a glock guy and someone handed you an XD with 100 rounds, you would shoot them.

When I grip my XD, it feels right, the angle works for me, and it fits my hand very well. To me, the XD looks better, but they are both bricks. The springfeild name had a part, as they have a good reputation, but what sealed the deal for me, was the loaded chamber indicator on top of the XD slide. its foolproof, and it you can easily feel for it in the dark. Many guns have a hole to peek through, phooey.

I shot a glock, and it worked flawlessly and shot straight, but when I held it, the thing was pointed up, the XD just points naturally for me.

Bronson

imported post

EM87 wrote:
carried by many LE departments. That should tell you something.
Because they are sold to depts. at an incredibly deep discount and then Glock inflates the price of their consumer products to make up for it. Murphy's Law of Combat #20) Never forget that your weapon is made by the lowest bidder.

I believe the XD has a grip safety
I do not like the XD either but it is simply a fit issue. It doesn't fit my hand but it is the rare gun with a double stack magazine that does.
GLOCKs have no external safety other than the trigger safety. That is a deciding factor for many people.
My big "beef" with Glock is the combination of no manual safety and short light trigger pull. I have nothing against DAO or plastic guns but I've shot Glocks that had comparable trigger pull lengths and weights to some SA guns. I think this combination is not suitable for many people to carry. I would feel the same way about someone carrying a SA revolver with the hammer cocked on a live round. Another issue I have with them is that they will fire out of battery. If you move the slide back slightly until there is a small gap at the breech face and pull the trigger the striker will still fall. I asked a certified Glock armorer about this and he said that yes it was true they will do that ....no thanks.
Also, the grip angle on a GLOCK is much more aggressive than on most other pistols. You have to angle your wrist a bit steeper. That of course is also personal preference.
This too for me. When I hold a Glock, or most other double stack guns, I feel like I'm holding a 2X4.
Bronson

manicdevery

imported post

Bronson wrote:
EM87 wrote:
carried by many LE departments. That should tell you something.
Because they are sold to depts. at an incredibly deep discount and then Glock inflates the price of their consumer products to make up for it. Murphy's Law of Combat #20) Never forget that your weapon is made by the lowest bidder.

I believe the XD has a grip safety
I do not like the XD either but it is simply a fit issue. It doesn't fit my hand but it is the rare gun with a double stack magazine that does.
GLOCKs have no external safety other than the trigger safety. That is a deciding factor for many people.
My big "beef" with Glock is the combination of no manual safety and short light trigger pull. I have nothing against DAO or plastic guns but I've shot Glocks that had comparable trigger pull lengths and weights to some SA guns. I think this combination is not suitable for many people to carry. I would feel the same way about someone carrying a SA revolver with the hammer cocked on a live round. Another issue I have with them is that they will fire out of battery. If you move the slide back slightly until there is a small gap at the breech face and pull the trigger the striker will still fall. I asked a certified Glock armorer about this and he said that yes it was true they will do that ....no thanks.
Also, the grip angle on a GLOCK is much more aggressive than on most other pistols. You have to angle your wrist a bit steeper. That of course is also personal preference.
This too for me. When I hold a Glock, or most other double stack guns, I feel like I'm holding a 2X4.
Bronson

man bronson, it seems you don't like plastic guns, or at least the ones being discussed, and personally i love the feel of steel/1911 in my hand. but like everyone else my taste in guns are allpersonal prefference. as far as my carry gun i love my glock, it's the only gun that if dropped i would feel safe if it ended up pointing at my genital region or more importantly another individual. now if it weren't my glock i would only carry my revolver, %100 reliable and no worry of accidental fire. my 1911 is always next to my bed. and this year for my birthday i plan on investing on a kimber.

One thing i love about this forum is that people on here can not like certain guns or views but always give an educated decision as to why.

Guns, i love em

Devery

Scooter

imported post

I think it's mostly personal preference too, most folks have a favorite brand regardless of whatproduct you are talking about. I tried several guns and ended up picking the Smith & Wesson M&P because I was instantly comfortable holding it. It just felt like it was custom made for my hand, I knew it was the right one for me. Plus it's quality was confirmed by several people I trust.

(no safety, your brain is thesafety)

Michigander

imported post

Trigger pull, weight, grip profile, and structural strength (specifically the no go on a 460 Rowland conversion). That's what I don't like. That said, I would like a Robar grip converted G 20.

eastmeyers

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Trigger pull, weight, grip profile, and structural strength (specifically the no go on a 460 Rowland conversion). That's what I don't like. That said, I would like a Robar grip converted G 20.

Looks like someone has money!!! I wish I could afford to shoot 10mm. For now I'll just stick with my G21 (.45ACP)

God Bless

PS: I'm a Glock man myself, I bought my first pistol when I was 20, three years ago, it was a Glock 27. I still have it, and still ankle it every once in awhile. Today however I carry a Glock 21 with me everywhere I go. Untill I can afford a Smith and Wesson .357 revolver (snubby).

conservative85

imported post

Take your Glock and drop it in mud, then pick it up and try to fire it. No seriously try to fire it...lol Don't worry it is all about Preference, preference, preference!

:celebrate

manicdevery

imported post

Scooter wrote:
I think it's mostly personal preference too, most folks have a favorite brand regardless of whatproduct you are talking about. I tried several guns and ended up picking the Smith & Wesson M&P because I was instantly comfortable holding it. It just felt like it was custom made for my hand, I knew it was the right one for me. Plus it's quality was confirmed by several people I trust.

(no safety, your brain is thesafety)

I loved the way the M&P shot when i tried one, theONLY thing i didn't like, and this may be a silly reason to some,was the fact that if the magazine wasn't in it wouldn't fire the bullet in the chamber. apart from that great gun(though me andmy glock still outshot my friend's M&P:p)

Devery

conservative85

imported post

When you get tired of your squirt gun Put down your toy, pull up your pants, and grab a 1911-A1.

Good Looks, Good Feel, Good Knock down, & Dependability!

wally1120

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
When you get tired of your squirt gun Put down your toy, pull up your pants, and grab a 1911-A1.

Good Looks, Good Feel, Good Knock down, & Dependability!

HAHA, Your funny. I used to have a 1911, And it was the worst Firearm I ever owned, Amd will NEVER buy one of them POS again.

If you carry a 1911, Then you are making up for something you weren`t so gifted on.:D