• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats the beef with Springfield XD, and Glock

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Michigander wrote:
One other thing I forgot to mention about Glocks is that I don't like the slide release. While reloading, I often have a very hard time with pushing it down to make the slide go forward from a racked back position. I don't like having to rack it forward manually.

There are definitely fixes for every Glock problem I have, but I think it's absurd that they haven't improved their products more over the years.

There's always the extended slide stop option, but it does make a person wonder why Glock would not put one on in the first place. It's my understanding that the original stop is usedto hinder the possibility ofthe shooter to accidentally apply pressure to it while shooting which can cause the slide to lock back prematurely.

I've read posts--not here--where competitive shooters would remove the slide stop and only use an over-hand or slingshot method to chamber a round. Mine is staying in place.

wally1120

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
Isn't there a 40 rounder for the G17/18/19?

Glock 17, 18, 19, and 26. I believe it is a 31 round mag, some people put that lil +2 adapter on it to make it 33, although this is just the 9mm. They have started to make them for the .40s&w (22, 23, and 27) too, but they are rare. Their are non-glock made mags for all their pistols though.

God Bless
You do have an option for a 35 Round Magazine for the Glock 9mm`s.

wally1120

imported post

cabman1 wrote:
wally1120 wrote:
cabman1 wrote:
hell I have a hi point c9 and love it wouldnt trade it for a glock xd or a kimber
Hey CabMan, If memory serves me right. Didnt you used to have a Hi-Point 45? And I also believe you traded the 45 JHP for some other $hitty little gun, If I recall correctly?

there is no real @#$%ty gun in my opinion. Unless it doesnt go bang when you need it 2. I really dont think a bad guy cares how good the gun looks when it is pointed at him. a hi point in my hand is better then no gun in my hand and as an fyi there is very few guns that have the warranty hi point does and I can almost bet the hi point shoots just as accurate as any of the 3 guns u own It just isnt as pretty
I agree with you that a BG dosent care what kinda gun is pointed at him, But a 22 LR? That .22 LR isnt a mean looking. Hi-Point does have a GREAT warrenty, But Springfield, And Glock does stand behing there products as well. And I havent heard of a Springfield, Glock having to be sent back like the Hi-Points have. Dont get me wrong Hi-Point is a OK gun, But I would rather have the XD, Or Glock. And if you love Hi-Points so much, Why didnt you keep the 45? You traded it for somehing I never heard of, And the Warrenty Qualityis Un Known.

G

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

Glock 17, 18, 19, and 26. I believe it is a 31 round mag, some people put that lil +2 adapter on it to make it 33, although this is just the 9mm. They have started to make them for the .40s&w (22, 23, and 27) too, but they are rare. Their are non-glock made mags for all their pistols though.

God Bless
I prefer my 15 rounds of .45ACP.

Even if it means having to carry 2 guns. (The brand of which shall remain nameless out of courtesy to the OP.):celebrate

wally1120

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
wally1120 wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

God Bless
I prefer my 15 rounds of .45ACP.

Even if it means having to carry 2 guns. (The brand of which shall remain nameless out of courtesy to the OP.):celebrate

Thank you for that Pat, At least someone is nice enough to not say it. But I do know what you are talking about. I like carrying 11 or 14 rounds in my 45 ACP, Then 17 Rounds in my 9x19. Then you always have the Spare Mags for one of them on the other side.

But I cant get away from the all hated UUHH, You know it. My Dad still has his, So I am still in the house with one.

wally1120

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Michigander wrote:
One other thing I forgot to mention about Glocks is that I don't like the slide release. While reloading, I often have a very hard time with pushing it down to make the slide go forward from a racked back position. I don't like having to rack it forward manually.

There are definitely fixes for every Glock problem I have, but I think it's absurd that they haven't improved their products more over the years.

There's always the extended slide stop option, but it does make a person wonder why Glock would not put one on in the first place. It's my understanding that the original stop is usedto hinder the possibility ofthe shooter to accidentally apply pressure to it while shooting which can cause the slide to lock back prematurely.

I've read posts--not here--where competitive shooters would remove the slide stop and only use an over-hand or slingshot method to chamber a round. Mine is staying in place.
I can see the Slide Stop as an issue for some. But I have gotten used to Racking the Slide Manually, I dont use the Slide lock. It is there to lock the Slide only, It Dosen`t function as a Slide Release. But people have different techniques, And I am fine with that.

wally1120

imported post

Before we get to much farther into this, I am going to have to drop in on the Hi-Point. They are Great Guns to have in the House, Or a Back up piece in a Car, But as far as carrying one I wouldn`t do it. I do plan on getting a Hi-Pont 40 S&W in a little bit, Just to say that I have a 40 Cal, And I am not eating to much on the Purchase. But I am not going to carry it, It is going to be a OS, PlinkingGun. But it is a descent gun, If it is the only thing that you have.

cabman1

imported post

the 22 is for the wife and have you seen the size of the 45 it is a hand cannon almost to heavy to carry and the 22 will make a ok back up gun and if i want to shoot an xd or glock ill just call ya up and ask f ya wanted to go to the range!!!!!!!:celebrate:celebrate

G

imported post

I've heard all of the Glock complaints and outright bashing over the years.

Here's my take on them based on limited experience.

Ergonomics:
I dropped mine (it didn't go off) and the rear sight came off. I continued to shoot it with out any rear sight for about 3 years by simply point shooting. I find it to be the most accurate of all my pistols for point shooting.

Safety:
I treat it just like a double action revolver. No Mexican carry etc. It does have a manual safety, in spite of what a lot of people think. It also has a number of internal safties that make it one of the safest pistols to carry. One of the basic firearm rules must be adhered to though religiously... KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO DESTROY WHAT YOU'RE AIMING AT!

Slide release:
It's small and hard to drop the slide. So is the slide release on a standard 1911. That's why there's so many aftermarket parts available.

Mag release:
I had to manipulate the pistol in my hand to reach the mag release just right. Same with almost every other pistol except my H&KUSP. Installed a Vickers extended mag release.

Failure to go into battery:
A condition called limp-wristing causes the slide to not go completely into battery on compact models. When I first read about this I thought it was a problem that smaller shooters and some women experienced. When I had it happen to me with my son's G23 I was shocked. I was able to replicate it repeatedly by not holding the pistol firmly enough. This is something that I have never had happen with any other pistol for this reason.

My Glock is like any other weapon of mine. It is customized to my own liking. Whether it simply sights or a full blown custom job. I have put Trijicons on it (relamped once because of age), Houge grip for texture, extended mag release, and a trigger job to smooth the trigger pull and eliminate over travel and creep. And I've changed recoil springs. It's just things I felt my pistol needed. And I've acquired a few holsters for it.

20+years and thousands upon thousands of rounds through it and it's still running strong and still one of my favorites too. The boys are waiting for me to croak so they can fight over it.

Now is it as pretty as my K***** Eclipse Pro Carry II?

Nope. But it does have a face that only a mother could love.

wally1120

imported post

HAHA, Only if you supply the Ammo. I dont think I would have a problem with that. But they aren`t going to be ran with that Blazer crap. It is going to Brass cases ONLY.

wally1120

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
I've heard all of the Glock complaints and outright bashing over the years.

Here's my take on them based on limited experience.

Ergonomics:
I dropped mine (it didn't go off) and the rear sight came off. I continued to shoot it with out any rear sight for about 3 years by simply point shooting. I find it to be the most accurate of all my pistols for point shooting. They are some very tough Firearms, I tossed mine in sand, Picked it up and fired another 100 Rounds thru it. And not a single jame with it.
Safety:
I treat it just like a double action revolver. No Mexican carry etc. It does have a manual safety, in spite of what a lot of people think. It also has a number of internal safties that make it one of the safest pistols to carry. One of the basic firearm rules must be adhered to though religiously... KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO DESTROY WHAT YOU'RE AIMING AT! All of my Firearms have no external safety, It isn`t nesscerry to have any safety outside of the gun.
Slide release:
It's small and hard to drop the slide. So is the slide release on a standard 1911. That's why there's so many aftermarket parts available. I dont think that a extended Slide Lock is a must have, Try practicing not even using it, Just rack the slide with your hand
Mag release:
I had to manipulate the pistol in my hand to reach the mag release just right. Same with almost every other pistol except my H&KUSP. Installed a Vickers extended mag release. Again personal prefence, I just swipe my thimb down, Until the Mag hits the ground.
Failure to go into battery:
A condition called limp-wristing causes the slide to not go completely into battery on compact models. When I first read about this I thought it was a problem that smaller shooters and some women experienced. When I had it happen to me with my son's G23 I was shocked. I was able to replicate it repeatedly by not holding the pistol firmly enough. This is something that I have never had happen with any other pistol for this reason. I haven`t tryed this one yet, But I have heard this before.
My Glock is like any other weapon of mine. It is customized to my own liking. Whether it simply sights or a full blown custom job. I have put Trijicons on it (relamped once because of age), Houge grip for texture, extended mag release, and a trigger job to smooth the trigger pull and eliminate over travel and creep. And I've changed recoil springs. It's just things I felt my pistol needed. And I've acquired a few holsters for it. I would like to put Nighters on my Glock, But the XD has to sport them first. And I also have a VERY NICE trigger on my Glock, Probly a 3 IB trigger on it.
20+years and thousands upon thousands of rounds through it and it's still running strong and still one of my favorites too. The boys are waiting for me to croak so they can fight over it. I haven`t even come close to that round count out of mine yet, Still have a little time to play with it to get there, But eventually I will get it up there. That isn`t very nice of the kids, But they do have a taste in Firearms.

Now is it as pretty as my K***** Eclipse Pro Carry II? imber? Yeah it may not be as good looking but OH WELL, It performs MUCH better. And can haveMUCH more abuse thrown at a Glock, And wouldn`t have to worry about it. I dont think the Glock looks as good as the XD, But it is a Great Performing Firearm

Nope. But it does have a face that only a mother could love.

G

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
HAHA, Only if you supply the Ammo. I dont think I would have a problem with that. But they aren`t going to be ran with that Blazer crap. It is going to Brass cases ONLY.
Nickel plated only!

ETA: Sorry, I thought you were talking about shooting my K*****s.:uhoh:

wally1120

imported post

cabman1 wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
you dont,...seriously, open carry a...hipoint?,....do you?:shock:
yep sure do hand a s&w 40 cal every time I shot it the mag droped
OH Yeah, The Smith And Wesson Sigma SW40VE. Man that gun was a Joke, But I have since shot one after that, And didnt have that problem with that one. I think you may have just found a weak Magazine Release Spring.

wally1120

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
wally1120 wrote:
Nickel plated only!
Brass is good to, But I wont run that Blazer Aluminum cased stuff in Firearms. Or I wont run Steel cases n any of my Guns either.

G

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
wally1120 wrote:
Nickel plated only!
Brass is good to, But I wont run that Blazer Aluminum cased stuff in Firearms. Or I wont run Steel cases n any of my Guns either.
The problem with the steel casins is the lacquer that is used for corrosion protection on some of it. As the chamber gets hot, some of the lacquer melts and becomes deposited in there. Get enough and you experience feeding issues.

Then when you get home and go to cleaning, the chamber has cooled right down and the lacquer has hardened. Making it extremely difficult to clean properly. The resultant scraping can be detrimental to the chamber & bore.

It's just not worth the cost savings to me.

wally1120

imported post

And when the Steel expands, Hits the Chamber, And just Grinds all to hell on the Chamber. I like my Guns to much to do anything like this to them. I am a Brass, Nickel cased shooter only. And the Aluminum is to soft of a caes to Reload, So I dont bother with them either, I want cases I can Reload after I shoot them.

wally1120

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
wally1120 wrote:
Nickel plated only!

ETA: Sorry, I thought you were talking about shooting my K*****s.:uhoh:
I know I am never going to be able to not hear the word kimber, My Dad still has his. But I know I will NEVER hold, shoot, ownone EVER again.

Michigander

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
And when the Steel expands, Hits the Chamber, And just Grinds all to hell on the Chamber. I like my Guns to much to do anything like this to them.
No, that does not happen, at least with a gun that will last more than 50 shots.

Steel in steel casings is soft steel, much softer than the hardened steel used to make good barrels.

I have put about 400 rounds of non lacquered wolf cased ammo through my Sig, and I have had exactly 0 malfunctions or other problems from doing so. It has been my experience that it cycles better because it is smoother.

Lacquer can be a problem depending on the gun, and in my experience the amount of heat. I've also heard horror stories of broken AR parts. But I've heard nothing beyond that which I can substantiate to suggest that the lacquer or steel casings can damage a thing. Personally, I think the best bet is just to avoid the lacquer.

Edit to add- about cleaning up laquer and other deposits, I have always had good luck with carb and choke cleaner.

wally1120

imported post

The steel cases will hit the Chamber, And will grind on the way out. It will take time for it do anything serious, But it is leaving scratches everytime it is spitting the cases out. Steel cases are just to hard on the Chambers of Firearms.