• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCOTUS

Gundude

imported post

I wondering if the court procedings will be available on Cspan or the internet. I would like to watch it, as it's a landmark case.

Rusty

imported post

SCOUTS hearings are never televised.

In 1996, Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter told a congressional committee that "the day you see a camera come into our courtroom, it's going to roll over my dead body."

Rusty

imported post

Quite frankly I do not like this. I think all government functions should be video taped and put in a perpetual archive. Including Congressional hearings, congressional offices courts and any meetings with the president.

Some would have to be held back for a time, due to sensitive information (read classified stuff), but after some years, even that stuff should come out. It is important from a historical standpoint. After all, they are public servants, working on our dime. They should be held to account for what they do.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Audio recordings and transcripts will be available shortly after the oral arguments. You can usually find both at http://oyez.org around a week after the arguments.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Rusty wrote:

In 1996, Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter told a congressional committee that "the day you see a camera come into our courtroom, it's going to roll over my dead body."

That's a pretty funny statement from Justice Souter.

It is a touchy issue I think for good reasons and may not be so beneficial to start throwing it in the muck with everything else that has been perverted on TV.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Rusty wrote:

That's a pretty funny statement from Justice Souter.

It is a touchy issue I think for good reasons and may not be so beneficial to start throwing it in the muck with everything else that has been perverted on TV.
+1

I think the prospect of a few minutes of fame may cause outrageous behavior which would only disrupt the court room.

I'm all for people having full access, but that means being able to sit in person. I think it's great that they post transcripts and audio, but I think that's above and beyond what they would be required to do.