• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1271: Regulating firearms by educational institution

TFred

imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+sum+HB1271

Full Text

Regulating firearms by educational institution. Provides that the board of visitors or other governing body of an educational institution has the power to establish rules and regulations for the possession or transportation of firearms or ammunition on property owned or operated by the institution.

This would be another one of "those expressly authorized by statute" exceptions to the 15.2-915 preemption law.

I'm sure PVC will quickly add this to his "Strongly Oppose" section of the VCDL Legislation tracking page.

TFred

KBCraig

imported post

I think the bill, just by existing, admits that the various rules and regulations created by the schools are not based on any lawful authority.