• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What the heck? Illinois members need to get on the ball here

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I find it very sad that A guy that lives in Northern WI with no connections to IL is the first to post notice ofthis meeting based in Illinois in the Illinois thread!

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/201...gyuw/index.xml
Gun laws could get new look
By DIANA SROKA - dsroka@nwherald.com

In March, the Supreme Court is expected to hear a case that could turn gun laws in Illinois upside down.

McDonald v. Chicago will question the constitutionality of the city’s gun ban. If the court sides with gun-rights proponents, as it did in the 2008 case District of Columbia v. Heller, the Chicago-area politicians who dominate in battles over gun laws could lose their influence.

“If they follow the Heller decision and they apply the second amendment to state and local governments, ... what happens logically is we have right to carry via the courts,” said Todd Vandermyde, state lobbyist for the National Rifle Association.

The Chicago area’s Democrats and the Springfield politicians who support them long have kept gun-rights laws from advancing in the Legislature.

State Rep. Mike Tryon said that even when gun-rights bills – such as those advocating concealed carry – had been proposed, they seldom made it to the House or Senate floors.

“We always have a concealed-carry bill. It’s just it never really gets a fair chance and a fair debate,” said Tryon, R-Crystal Lake. “If you can’t get bills called for a good debate and you can’t get them called on the House floor for a vote, they never pass.”

For Illinoisans, that means gun rights isn’t just a partisan issue – it’s geographic.

Consider the Pro Second Amendment Resolution, which the McHenry County Board adopted with unanimous support in April 2008.

Ninety counties in the state joined McHenry County in opposing the passage of any bills that would put limits on the right to bear arms, according to the Illinois Pro Second Amendment Resolution Web site.

The resolution failed in Lake County, and lingered at “undecided” in Cook, DuPage and DeKalb counties. The resolution passed in almost every other county.

It’s not all grim for right to carry supporters in the collar counties, though.

A Spring Grove resident, Lou Rofrano, has launched a group called the McHenry County Right to Carry Association. The group’s kickoff event isn’t until Thursday, but the concept already has garnered regional attention.

“We’ve needed a voice out in our suburbs for quite a while,” said Bryan Javor, president of McHenry County Young Republicans.

Among his goals for the group, Rofrano said he wanted the association to serve as an educational outlet about the rights guaranteed by the second amendment. He’s optimistic that approach not only will attract other residents, but ultimately influence legislators in historically anti-carry areas.

“I think we have to try and reach out to some of the representation that’s in Cook County because there’s a lot of resistance in Cook County,” Rofrano said.

The political climate might make that easier, Javor said.

Rod Blagojevich’s ouster from office and the state budget crisis have caused many voters to become more aware of what’s happening in Illinois politics, Javor said. As voters become disillusioned with Democrats on those issues, they also might question their historically anti-gun rights stance.

“The Democratic party tends to not like guns or tends to try to restrict gun owners’ rights,” Javor said. “I think people are beginning to look closer at other policies by Democrats.”

McHenry County Democratic Party Chairwoman Kathleen Bergan Schmidt said she wasn’t sure what the state party’s position on concealed-carry laws was, and her organization hadn’t taken a position, either. But she recognized that it’s a divisive issue.

“To either pass or defeat it will probably take some effort on the part of supporters of either position,” Bergan Schmidt said. “It’s not going to sail through easily.”

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

A lot of local groups are starting to spring up on a countywide basis. The movement is growing. The numbers have grown exponentially in the last few years.

Were trying, this site has not caught on, Illinoisans generally drop their jaw at the words "open carry".

CraigC178

imported post

lockman wrote:
A lot of local groups are starting to spring up on a countywide basis. The movement is growing. The numbers have grown exponentially in the last few years.

Were trying, this site has not caught on, Illinoisans generally drop their jaw at the words "open carry".
Mouths might drop north of I-88, but not down south. I grew up in Lake County and my family still lives there. I can imagine the flocks of sheeple running off of the bluff into Lake Michigan if they saw a gun. I Live in Normal now and the only people that would freak out here are the ISU students and the foreigners that work for State Farm.

I hunt way down south in White & Wayne Counties... down there people wouldn't even bat an eye. The friend that I hunt with advised us that there are tons of huge bucks in the river bottoms, but there are also tons of makeshift meth labs. He told us in no uncertain terms not to go into the bottoms without a gun. The DNR officer for the area is aware of the problem and has been known to turn a blind eye to hunters and fisherman that want to open carry.

junglebob

imported post

I have a friend who is a Conservation Officer and he has mentioned stopping people who have an unloaded handgun transported in a Seagram's 7 bag. He said it was legal because that was a container. Even after the Illinois Supreme Court Diggins's decision I wonder how many others would have arrested for having it in something other that a gun case? Glad to hear there is a Conservation Officer for White and Wayne counties that is willing to recognize peoples right to bear arms.

DEROS72

imported post

Wanted to show you in Wa.there was an attempted assault weapons ban by a couple of liberal legislators. If everyone bans together you will win300showed up at the state house and only 14 were in favor of the gun ban bill.We open carried in the state house in the senate hearing room.When a couple of anti gun folks told police to have us disarmed they refused and said it is within their rights.Keep up the pressure and ban together on this.It should be a right of every U.S.citizen.....

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m1d29-Fear-and-hostility-toward-open-carry-in-Olympia

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/y8db2xe
DSCI1867.jpg

junglebob

imported post

Deros72, Don't confuse Washington state with Illinois. You got 300 people to come oppose a AWB. Last year 5000 people showed up for Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day in support of license to carry legislation and good gun laws. None or almost no mention in Chicago Tribune and most other major newspapers.

"Fanny Pack Transport" (see Fanny Pack Carry topic here) is legal in Illinois. That doesn't mean you won't get arrested. Illinois law enforcement doesn't always enforce laws as they are written, sometimes the way they'd like them to be.

DEROS72

imported post

I have friends in Chicago so I sort of keep track of whats going on in there and every where.Intresting five thousand and not aq word mentiond in the media.I have heard from friends and others that Illinois is moving fast and hard for their gun rights.

amzbrady

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I have friends in Chicago so I sort of keep track of whats going on in there and every where.Intresting five thousand and not aq word mentiond in the media.I have heard from friends and others that Illinois is moving fast and hard for their gun rights.

Wow fancy seeing you here. I also have friends in IL. They are the friends I grew up with. I was born and raised in IL. I remember when I got my Firearm Owner ID card only to find out my rights to carry a loaded firearm for self defense ended at my property line. I have since moved to the Great Pacific North West, and have Carried Concealed since getting my CPL. I found OCDO by accident and watched topics, read and learned. Eventually I got the nerve up to just take my jacket off in a Wal-Mart one day. Didnt have any issues. Little by little I OC'd in more places and now I dont even think about it. I have never had a run in with the police, and in fact know quite a few. At times we talk about our firearms and have had a few check mine out and have let me look at their preferred weapon of choice (although most carry their standard issue Glock 40mm). Keep fighting and hopefully ya'll will someday know what the 2nd amendment really stands for.

BTW Deros, hope you dont mind, I hijacked one of your photos and posted it on another thread here. Good example of public OC.

jbone

imported post

Hey I gotpals there also,even went to Boot Camp at "Great Mistakes"

DEROS72, I though your "interstate gun rights support message" of keep the fight was great.