Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You can help strike down Seattle's illegal gun ban

Post imported post

For those of you not already aware of my civil rights lawsuit challenging the City of Seattle's illegal gun ban, attached is my latest filing. My lawsuit is separate from Chan et al filed in state court, but their attorneys and I are coordinatingefforts and strategy.

I have already paid about $500 out of my own pocket in expenses, and anticipate between $2000 and $5000 more before the battle is over. I can't do it alone. Please consider donating a few dollars through my blog:
    bobwarden.org. Any amount is greatly appreciated. As noted on my blog, I will post and update the total donations I receive, and will donate all surplus to charity.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO ANYONE YOU FEEL MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN HELPING.

Thanks,
    Bob Warden
    Pistol-Packing Attorney from Kent

Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. -The Who

Post imported post

but their attorneys and I are coordinating efforts and strategy.
    Well isn't that interesting . . . . .

Post imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
    For those of you not already aware of my civil rights lawsuit challenging the City of Seattle's illegal gun ban, attached is my latest filing. My lawsuit is separate from Chan et al filed in state court, but their attorneys and I are coordinatingefforts and strategy.

I have already paid about $500 out of my own pocket in expenses, and anticipate between $2000 and $5000 more before the battle is over. I can't do it alone. Please consider donating a few dollars through my blog:
    bobwarden.org. Any amount is greatly appreciated. As noted on my blog, I will post and update the total donations I receive, and will donate all surplus to charity.

Thanks,
    Bob Warden

If you cannot afford it why did you file when there was already a pending suit?
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    Bob Warden wrote:

Thanks,
    Bob Warden

You do understand that the more suits filed, the better the chance that you'll win? Sometimes you just have to jump in... especially when our Constitutional rights are being taken away.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Post imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    Bob Warden wrote:
    For those of you not already aware of my civil rights lawsuit challenging the City of Seattle's illegal gun ban, attached is my latest filing.Â* My lawsuit is separate from Chan et al filed in state court, but their attorneys and I are coordinatingÂ*efforts and strategy.

I have already paid about $500 out of my own pocket in expenses, and anticipate between $2000 and $5000 more before the battle is over.Â* I can't do it alone.Â* Please consider donating a few dollars through my blog:
    bobwarden.org.Â* Any amount is greatly appreciated.Â* As noted on my blog, I will post and update the total donations I receive, and will donate all surplus to charity.

Thanks,
    Bob Warden

You do understand that the more suits filed, the better the chance that you'll win? Sometimes you just have to jump in... especially when our Constitutional rights are being taken away.
    Uh....Ok. Not an answer to my question that I did not ask you.

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
    I have already paid about $500
    On what exactly? Can you list your expenses?

Post imported post

Rough itemization of expenses is at bobwarden.org.

Donate if you want; don't if you don't want!

Thanks,
    Bob

Post imported post

Is there any progress being made on an injunction to stop the rule for now?

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    Bob Warden wrote:

Thanks,
    Bob Warden

Don't post on an open forum if you don't want others commenting on what you post... there is a PM function you know.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    Bob Warden wrote:

Thanks,
    Bob Warden

Don't post on an open forum if you don't want others commenting on what you post... there is a PM function you know.
    Hey, thanks for the tip.

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    A cheap lawyer makes $175.00 an hour and $30 per email with client, and you want me to donate?!?
    OH CRAP $30 AN EMAIL WITH MY ATTORNEY? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR What about paralegals????

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

Post imported post

Poosharker wrote:
    NavyLT wrote:
    A cheap lawyer makes $175.00 an hour and $30 per email with client, and you want me to donate?!?
    OH CRAP $30 AN EMAIL WITH MY ATTORNEY? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR What about paralegals????
    THAT"S who does the work but the Attorney will still bill you for "His" time.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    That's why I have a slight personal problem with a lawyer who takes it upon himself to perform a deliberate act to be a test case with the intention of filing a lawsuit then comes asking for money to cover his legal expenses.

So, Bob, if you were awarded damages in your case, would you share it in proportion with those who donated to your cause?
    Sounds perfectly reasonable, so sure, why not.

Post imported post

I'm glad there's a case like yours going in addition to the SAF et al case. I wish there were more, I think it carries more weight. Maybe not legally, but the public perception.

Post imported post

Apparently Mr. Warden is still planning on prosecuting his lawsuit.

http://www.westseattleherald.com/201...un-ban-vacated

Post imported post

Does continuing to pursue the lawsuit seem wrong to anyone else?

It always seemed iffy to me to pursue this on anything other than grounds of violation of state preemption. That case is so strong, and avoids trying to drag in all these larger issues... which were never really in doubt to begin with.

What possible positive practical outcome can continuing to pursue this have? I see only potential downside.

I'm not a lawyer, so maybe I've missed something or am misguided... if so someone please help me see the error of my ways.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    tai4de2 wrote:
    Does continuing to pursue the lawsuit seem wrong to anyone else?

It always seemed iffy to me to pursue this on anything other than grounds of violation of state preemption. That case is so strong, and avoids trying to drag in all these larger issues... which were never really in doubt to begin with.

What possible positive practical outcome can continuing to pursue this have? I see only potential downside.

I'm not a lawyer, so maybe I've missed something or am misguided... if so someone please help me see the error of my ways.
    I am guessing the Federal court will affirm the summary judgment, which will kick the appeal up to a higher level. Basically, the Federal court will be the appeal judgment to the summary judgment, skipping a step in the whole process.
    I would presume that it's likely that Seattle will file a motion with the federal judge, advising her that a state judge has struck down the ban, and to either continue the federal case until the case is final in all aspects (as in, placing it on hold for both resolution with the Chan case and the McDonald case, or dismiss the case entirely.

At least one of my points was vindicated today: The individual plaintiffs (including me) had standing under state law to challenge the ban, despite statements by Warden to the contrary. It was the organizational plaintiffs that did not, as the individual plaintiffs adequately represented their interests.

Post imported post

Bob Warden wrote:

Thanks,
    Bob Warden

Mr Warden:

I'd like to start off by stating that I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but am really really confused by this post.

just shortly after chan was filed, you go out, announce to the authorities that you're going to go to a "prohibited place" and then file your own suit. by doing so, it appeard to myself (I'll simply speak for myself in this comment & leave everyone else out of it) that you were doing so in an effort to "ride the shirttails" of those that came before you (chan).

There were several heated discussions about your tactics (I don't recall specifically if there was any discussion on the board BEFORE your action, but I believe there may have been).

During some of these discussions, you made it very well known that you were an attorney & that you knew very well what you were doing as well as the path that you were taking.

but now, you come in, asking/soliciting funds for YOUR cause. Yes, I know, the cause is important to all of us, but while most of us were content to sit back and let the legal system work in our favor (as it most certainly has), you went forth on your own tangent..and now want help with the funds?

what about all the billing at several hundred dollars an hour you send out? did you jump into this suit of yours without giving full thought to the costs? surely, an attorney would be well aware of the costs associated with such an undertaking & would be sure to make sure the necesary funds were availabble prior to filing suit.

perhaps you could enlighten me/humor me with your thought procuf this as well as justify your solicitation of funds for YOUR lawsuit?

Jeff

Bob, you should win your case now....

When will your case be reheard and won
    Live Free or Die!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    An appeal was filed with the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals a few weeks after the ruling in District Court. The appeals issue was narrowed to one sole point: That the 2nd amendment applied to the states. That's it. That was answered in McDonald, and I expect the 3 judge panel assigned to the case will likely VR it (vacate, remand).

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Actually, didn't the WA State Supreme Court rule that the 2nd amendment applied to WA State a few months ago already?
    Yes, in State v. Sieyes.

http://www.wasupremecourtblog.com/tags/state-v-sieyes/

Actually, didn't the WA State Supreme Court rule that the 2nd amendment applied to WA State a few months ago already?
    Sort of but it is all moot now. "McDonald" did the real job and in the short time I have had to read the decision it might just go a little farther than "Heller". There were a few references to Heller and the implication that the 2A allowed for a handgun "in the home". Justice Scalia mentioned this but in a manner that only recognized it a a primary consideration. In reading further I got the sense that having a firearm for Self Defense was the fundamental issue and not just in the home. One thing for sure, there will be a lot of States, Counties, and Cities having quick meetings with prosecutors and attorneys. Some real serious "oh ****, what do we do now?" type meetings because this decision leaves them very no option to prevent possession of firearms. Not even by excessive regulation. Only thing left is the type of limits on where and how firearms can be carried. It would appear that any law abiding citizen can now own a firearm no matter where in the US they reside. Wonder what they're saying in New York City today?

Cool Oh Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    <snip> Wonder what they're saying in New York City today?
    Oh Crap!

Yes, but if you remember Bob Warden's case was in federal court.

Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomberg
    The court's decision today and its decision in 2008 in District of Columbia v. Heller both make clear that we can work to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and terrorists while at the same time respecting the constitutional rights of law- abiding citizens," Bloomberg said in a separate statement. "That's what New York City has always done. And I will continue to collaborate with mayors across the country to pursue common-sense, constitutional approaches to protecting public safety."

No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

• • • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Faciémus!• • •

The only way you get firearms out of the hands of terrorist and criminals is by arranging a meeting between them and their maker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast