• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You can help strike down Seattle's illegal gun ban

Bob Warden

imported post

For those of you not already aware of my civil rights lawsuit challenging the City of Seattle's illegal gun ban, attached is my latest filing. My lawsuit is separate from Chan et al filed in state court, but their attorneys and I are coordinatingefforts and strategy.

I have already paid about $500 out of my own pocket in expenses, and anticipate between $2000 and $5000 more before the battle is over. I can't do it alone. Please consider donating a few dollars through my blog:
bobwarden.org. Any amount is greatly appreciated. As noted on my blog, I will post and update the total donations I receive, and will donate all surplus to charity.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO ANYONE YOU FEEL MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN HELPING.

Thanks,
Bob Warden
Pistol-Packing Attorney from Kent

joeroket

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
For those of you not already aware of my civil rights lawsuit challenging the City of Seattle's illegal gun ban, attached is my latest filing. My lawsuit is separate from Chan et al filed in state court, but their attorneys and I are coordinatingefforts and strategy.

I have already paid about $500 out of my own pocket in expenses, and anticipate between $2000 and $5000 more before the battle is over. I can't do it alone. Please consider donating a few dollars through my blog:
bobwarden.org. Any amount is greatly appreciated. As noted on my blog, I will post and update the total donations I receive, and will donate all surplus to charity.

Thanks,
Bob Warden
If you cannot afford it why did you file when there was already a pending suit?

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:

Thanks,
Bob Warden
You do understand that the more suits filed, the better the chance that you'll win? Sometimes you just have to jump in... especially when our Constitutional rights are being taken away.

joeroket

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
For those of you not already aware of my civil rights lawsuit challenging the City of Seattle's illegal gun ban, attached is my latest filing.  My lawsuit is separate from Chan et al filed in state court, but their attorneys and I are coordinating efforts and strategy.

I have already paid about $500 out of my own pocket in expenses, and anticipate between $2000 and $5000 more before the battle is over.  I can't do it alone.  Please consider donating a few dollars through my blog:
bobwarden.org.  Any amount is greatly appreciated.  As noted on my blog, I will post and update the total donations I receive, and will donate all surplus to charity.

Thanks,
Bob Warden
You do understand that the more suits filed, the better the chance that you'll win? Sometimes you just have to jump in... especially when our Constitutional rights are being taken away.

Uh....Ok. Not an answer to my question that I did not ask you.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

joeroket wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:

Thanks,
Bob Warden

Don't post on an open forum if you don't want others commenting on what you post... there is a PM function you know.

joeroket

imported post

joeroket wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:

Thanks,
Bob Warden

Don't post on an open forum if you don't want others commenting on what you post... there is a PM function you know.
Hey, thanks for the tip. :banghead:

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
A cheap lawyer makes $175.00 an hour and $30 per email with client, and you want me to donate?!?
OH CRAP $30 AN EMAIL WITH MY ATTORNEY? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR What about paralegals????

Bob Warden

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
That's why I have a slight personal problem with a lawyer who takes it upon himself to perform a deliberate act to be a test case with the intention of filing a lawsuit then comes asking for money to cover his legal expenses.

So, Bob, if you were awarded damages in your case, would you share it in proportion with those who donated to your cause?
Sounds perfectly reasonable, so sure, why not.

kwiebe

imported post

I'm glad there's a case like yours going in addition to the SAF et al case. I wish there were more, I think it carries more weight. Maybe not legally, but the public perception.

tai4de2

imported post

Does continuing to pursue the lawsuit seem wrong to anyone else?

It always seemed iffy to me to pursue this on anything other than grounds of violation of state preemption. That case is so strong, and avoids trying to drag in all these larger issues... which were never really in doubt to begin with.

What possible positive practical outcome can continuing to pursue this have? I see only potential downside.

I'm not a lawyer, so maybe I've missed something or am misguided... if so someone please help me see the error of my ways.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
tai4de2 wrote:
Does continuing to pursue the lawsuit seem wrong to anyone else?

It always seemed iffy to me to pursue this on anything other than grounds of violation of state preemption. That case is so strong, and avoids trying to drag in all these larger issues... which were never really in doubt to begin with.

What possible positive practical outcome can continuing to pursue this have? I see only potential downside.

I'm not a lawyer, so maybe I've missed something or am misguided... if so someone please help me see the error of my ways.
I am guessing the Federal court will affirm the summary judgment, which will kick the appeal up to a higher level. Basically, the Federal court will be the appeal judgment to the summary judgment, skipping a step in the whole process.
I would presume that it's likely that Seattle will file a motion with the federal judge, advising her that a state judge has struck down the ban, and to either continue the federal case until the case is final in all aspects (as in, placing it on hold for both resolution with the Chan case and the McDonald case, or dismiss the case entirely.

At least one of my points was vindicated today: The individual plaintiffs (including me) had standing under state law to challenge the ban, despite statements by Warden to the contrary. It was the organizational plaintiffs that did not, as the individual plaintiffs adequately represented their interests.

5jeffro7

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:

Thanks,
Bob Warden

Mr Warden:

I'd like to start off by stating that I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but am really really confused by this post.

just shortly after chan was filed, you go out, announce to the authorities that you're going to go to a "prohibited place" and then file your own suit. by doing so, it appeard to myself (I'll simply speak for myself in this comment & leave everyone else out of it) that you were doing so in an effort to "ride the shirttails" of those that came before you (chan).

There were several heated discussions about your tactics (I don't recall specifically if there was any discussion on the board BEFORE your action, but I believe there may have been).

During some of these discussions, you made it very well known that you were an attorney & that you knew very well what you were doing as well as the path that you were taking.

but now, you come in, asking/soliciting funds for YOUR cause. Yes, I know, the cause is important to all of us, but while most of us were content to sit back and let the legal system work in our favor (as it most certainly has), you went forth on your own tangent..and now want help with the funds?

what about all the billing at several hundred dollars an hour you send out? did you jump into this suit of yours without giving full thought to the costs? surely, an attorney would be well aware of the costs associated with such an undertaking & would be sure to make sure the necesary funds were availabble prior to filing suit.

perhaps you could enlighten me/humor me with your thought procuf this as well as justify your solicitation of funds for YOUR lawsuit?

Jeff

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
An appeal was filed with the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals a few weeks after the ruling in District Court. The appeals issue was narrowed to one sole point: That the 2nd amendment applied to the states. That's it. That was answered in McDonald, and I expect the 3 judge panel assigned to the case will likely VR it (vacate, remand).