• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Event - Dreamland BBQ in Birmingham!!

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Ok everyone that has been itching for an event, here's your chance to help set the date and time in Feb. for this one if you can make it up or down to Birmingham.

I just received permission from the General Manager of the 14th Ave Dreamland BBQ in Southside to hold an Open CarryDinner Eventin the coming weeks. This restaurant is famous for its BBQ and I can tell you first-hand, it's good! This restaurant is also located mere blocks from two police stations, so I will be in contact with both UAB PD and the South Precinct of Birmingham PD to keep them fully abreast of what is going on and when. This will be a GREAT opportunity tohelp enlighten these police forces and the general public and keepall parties involvedsafe out there in regards to MWAG calls and OC!

I'll try to getthe LocalNewsto show up as well. Ok let's hear fromyou guys.. When is anybody available? How about a Saturday in Feb.? Also, if we can't all get together on a date, I'll just pick the day the most people can show up in exactly one week. So we have a week long time period set to discuss dates and times, the location is now set. I will, however, be tryingto get a backup location just in case something does fall through.

Thanks and see you all soon hopefully.

P.S. If anyone knows someone who probably won't be OC, but has a video camera and would like to film the event, that would be a great help, too.

rocknsnow

imported post

A saturday would work better for my family since we will be traveling from Fort Rucker up to attend the event. We are pretty open to time.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Ok, going well. Went by and spoke with the manager today - he said that it's ok by him, he just has to "run it by corporate." Nowtoseekbackup venue(s) in the area. It's looking like it will be a Saturday then at this point. How does the 6th of Feb. sound? That's two weeks from this Saturday.

Couple of Rules (they're pretty obvious and standand):

1. There's beer there, so no drinking.

2. No unholstering for any reason except self-defense.

3. Be an ambassador for OC. (Be nice.)

That's about it! Getting excited already.

Deacon Blues

imported post

The 6th sounds good to me. Dreamland is a good location; good food, high profile, always busy. I know the daytime manager, he's a real good guy.

Have you talked to the PD yet? I'm interested to see their reactions. The police around here seem pretty happy to have CCers around, and this really shouldn't be any different.

BluesStringer

imported post

My wife and I will drive down too from Madison. This post will subscribe me to the thread, so I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm also very interested to hear what the attitude of the PD is. Please update when possible. Oh, and Dreamland Corporate? Did the manager seem to think they'd support it?

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Hey all - I will know Dreamland's final answer on Tuesday, and I'll check in with the backup restaurant tomorrow. It's the PawPaw Patch, and it also expressed interest in hosting this event. I was waiting to talk to the PD until the date and time was set, so let's go ahead and set them now.

February 6th, at 2pm.

I'll contact the Birmingham PD and the backup restaurant tomorrow, and Dreamland on Tuesday. Then I'll post updates as they are received. Thanks to everyone for your interest!

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

The response here has been amazing. Does anyone have a video camera so we can have a record of the event? It looks like there's going to be ALOT of people there. My parents, girlfriend, and one or two of my friends are coming too. Plus everyone that's expressed interest on this thread and their children, that's about 20 - 25 people! This event, through the media, can deal a major blow to OC ignorance in the state of Alabama! Can barely sleep at night I'm so excited.
:lol:

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dreamland would be great! Ifit's a positive event, that might convince the Huntsville location to support such an event here.

Also, here are directions to Dreamland pulled from their website:

Directions to Dreamland Birmingham:

From the Airport:
Take I-20/59 toward Birmingham, take
I-65 South to the 4th Avenue South Exit, Stay on 4th Avenue until 14th Street take a right onto 14th Street South, Dreamland is at the corner of 15th Street South and 14th Avenue South.

From South of Town:
Follow I-65 North to University Blvd. Exit, Stay on University, Take a right onto 14th Street South,Dreamland is at the corner of 15th Street South and 14th Avenue South.

1427 14th Avenue, South
Birmingham, AL 35205
(205) 933-2133
phone 205-933-2133
fax 205-933-9770

keith826

imported post

I can't tell you how excited I am that we finally are having some recent OC plans for bham!

I have came very close to organizing something for bham as well! I was thinking at some point we could do an open carry trash pickup or, preferably, something else that benefits the community as a show of good intent and that will put a positive spin on the usual taboo of OC.

I look forward to seeing you gents there...I'm considering bringing my ar15 in addition to my Beretta 40:D

---Random recent OC story-----
The night after the last day of the most recent gun show at the BJCC, I had my newly purchased ar15 in my car and wanted to show it to my friend who couldn't make the gun show so I went to his apartment with it and when I was leaving he said he'd go with me and take out his recycling...I said I'd accompany him, however, I didn't know it was a few blocks away. So I got to carry my ar15...wearing a suit...through northside at ~midnight...Every car that passed slowed down significantly when they saw us and I don't think anyone walked on the same side of the street. I have to say that was an interesting feeling.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Sorry everyone, I should have Dreamland's final answer tomorrow. Went by there and had lunch today, and spoke with the General Manager, Walt, who said he would get corporate's answer tonight for sure. The back up restaurant's (The PawPaw Patch) owner was very supportive and ready to book an event asap, but they are not open on weekends. I spoke with Sgt. Clark at BPD's South Precinct and he was fine with it. He wanted a flyer to brief his officers with! Now, let's just hope Dreamland comes through tomorrow.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Dreamland just called and WE ARE A GO for Saturday, February 6th @2pm! For directions to, see Neo's post above. Thanks Neo. Couple of new rules:

DO NOT bring any firearm other than a holstered HANDGUN please. Barely got a yes from DL because they are nervous about the whole thing, so be extra cool to them.

Also, there will be no media present, as per their request, so please don't contact ANY news media.

Be on the lookout for the next event at The PawPaw Patch soon!

Thanks and see you all at Dreamland!

Jeff Chandler

imported post

This is my first real post here, I have a question about the event next week, could this not possibly covered in Section 13A-11-59 of the Alabama code, where possesion at a public demonstration is banned, just a small concern, I certainly wouldn't want to "rain on the parade" so to speak. I hope what you have planned goes off without a problem and would like to see open carry lose the taboo that it now has. Thanks

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to OCDO, Mr. Chandler!

I've copied the statute you cited below. First,the Dreamland event is not a "demonstration" as defined in this statute. I suspect that Mr Norris might have a few words to say to the group to kick things off. But, after that, I think we'll be making conversation amongst ourselves.

Second, the interior of Dreamland is not a "public place" as defined in this statute; it is private property.

So, as long as no one goes out into the parking lot and starts loudly complaining about how they've been harrassed for open carry, we should be fine. :) Of course, it wouldn't hurt to keep things on an even keel inside either. This should be just a bunch of folks with a common interest getting together for dinner. Some people will be looking at us, but we won't be drawing a "crowd or onlookers".

Section 13A-11-59
Possession of firearms by persons participating in, attending, etc., demonstrations at public places.
(a) For the purposes of this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this subsection, except in those instances where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:

(1) DEMONSTRATION. Demonstrating, picketing, speechmaking or marching, holding of vigils and all other like forms of conduct which involve the communication or expression of views or grievances engaged in by one or more persons, the conduct of which has the effect, intent or propensity to draw a crowd or onlookers. Such term shall not include casual use of property by visitors or tourists which does not have an intent or propensity to attract a crowd or onlookers.

(2) FIREARM. Any pistol, rifle, shotgun or firearm of any kind, whether loaded or not.

(3) LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. Any duly appointed and acting federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement officer, peace officer or investigating officer, or any military or militia personnel called out or directed by constituted authority to keep the law and order, and any park ranger while acting as such on the grounds of a public park and who is on regular duty and present to actively police and control the demonstration, and who is assigned this duty by his department or agency. Such term does not include a peace officer on strike or a peace officer not on duty.

(4) PUBLIC PLACE. Any place to which the general public has access and a right to resort for business, entertainment or other lawful purpose, but does not necessarily mean a place devoted solely to the uses of the public. Such term shall include the front or immediate area or parking lot of any store, shop, restaurant, tavern, shopping center or other place of business. Such term shall also include any public building, the grounds of any public building, or within the curtilage of any public building, or in any public parking lot, public street, right-of-way, sidewalk right-of-way, or within any public park or other public grounds.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer, to have in his or her possession or on his or her person or in any vehicle any firearm while participating in or attending any demonstration being held at a public place.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer as defined in subsection (a) of this section, to have in his or her possession or about his or her person or in any vehicle at a point within 1,000 feet of a demonstration at a public place, any firearm after having first been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration was taking place at a public place and after having been ordered by such officer to remove himself or herself from the prescribed area until such time as he or she no longer was in possession of any firearm. This subsection shall not apply to any person in possession of or having on his or her person any firearm within a private dwelling or other private building or structure.

(d) Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished as provided by law.

(Acts 1979, No. 79-455, p. 743; Code 1975, §13-6-131.)

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Hi Jeff, and welcome to OpenCarry. This event will be a lunch/dinner on private property, so it's not really in danger of being classified as a demonstration.

I'll have a jar out at the event for donations to Birmingham Children's Hospital if anyone is interested. This will be given to them in remembrance of my cousin Charles 'Dusty' Parrish, an Army Medic who died in combat in Balad, Iraq last year. He loved kids and wanted to pursue a medical career when he got back.