• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From Confessing Lutheran' Book of Concord to Martin Niemoller's Pfarrernotbund

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

I have been accepted as a member of an Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. I am preparing to argue for legally armed citizens as congregants to the congregation's governing board by reading the Confessions of the Lutheran Church, The Book of Concord (on-line http://www.bookofconcord.org/).

Today I was researching a book that I noticed in the 2007 movie Slipstream, that we watched last night. In the protagonist Felix Bonhoeffer's (played by actor, screenwriter Anthony Hopkins) home was a book, pictured, authored by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Who was Dietrich Bonhoeffer and why was his book so significant to this very odd(!) movie?

Bingo! Shazaam! Wunderbar.

D. Bonhoeffer was a NAZI era German Lutheran Pastor and theologian founding member of The Confessing Church, and perhaps the first NAZI resister. The Pfarrernotbund , 'Emergency Covenant of Pastors', was formed by D. Bonhoeffer and Pastor Martin Niemoller.

I recognized that name, Niemoller, from my Second Amendment reading! He is the author of the poem

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out.
This will be a wonderful argument someday.