Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: Moving to Colorado, Thinking of Running

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    Thinking of moving to colorado, running as a Libertarian, do I have a chance in hell?


    Pace
    http://www.libertypace.com
    Thoughts on Liberty and Freedom

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,250

    Post imported post

    Pace wrote:
    Thinking of moving to colorado, running as a Libertarian, do I have a chance in hell?


    Pace
    http://www.libertypace.com
    Thoughts on Liberty and Freedom
    Always have a chance.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    491

    Post imported post

    Pace wrote:
    Thinking of moving to colorado, running as a Libertarian, do I have a chance in hell?

    Pace
    http://www.libertypace.com
    Thoughts on Liberty and Freedom
    http://www.freestateproject.org/

    Why not New Hampshire?

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787

    Post imported post

    Yes - you have a chance in Hell. Probably not in Colorado.

    Just kidding - it depends where to run, and on what platform (mix of ideas).
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  5. #5
    Lone Star Veteran Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    712

    Post imported post

    since9 wrote:
    Yes - you have a chance in Hell. Probably not in Colorado.

    Just kidding - it depends where to run, and on what platform (mix of ideas).
    Heh, made me laugh.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    466

    Post imported post

    Run, Walk, Climb, Ski, Ride .... as long as you carry.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787

    Post imported post

    Humor - it's what keeps humans sane.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855

    Post imported post

    We need to kick the democraps out. That means conservative Republicans on the ballet, not third party candidates to siphon off votes. Get in a primary as a Republican and make your case. If you're a strong conservative, you will have a shot.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    I've said it before, Gun Rights isn't a Democrat or Republican value.

    My interest would be sane politics, probably run on a major ticket.

    I have no idea what a conservative means to you, but its not the republican party in this country, sorry. When they stop voting also for BS spending in Washington in the trillions, maybe.

    Give me a break.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    466

    Post imported post

    I would never vote libertarian. Pick a side: left or right (not necessarily rep or dem) and stop trying to straddle the fence.

    Two things are found in the middle of the road: Yellow stripes and roadkill.

    Revelation 3:15-16 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would that thou were cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    Haha Colorado is pretty liberal, good luck with that! I moved over cause of the laws too. I moved over all my stuff in one big moving truck that off this site http://www.movers-moving-companies.c...y_Colorado.htm I don't know much about politics, but i know moving out to Colorado isn't such a big pain. Once you get settled you should be good!

  12. #12
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855

    Post imported post

    Pace wrote:
    I've said it before, Gun Rights isn't a Democrat or Republican value.

    My interest would be sane politics, probably run on a major ticket.

    I have no idea what a conservative means to you, but its not the republican party in this country, sorry. When they stop voting also for BS spending in Washington in the trillions, maybe.

    Give me a break.
    A conservative is a strict constructionist of the Constitution. That's what I am. To say there is no difference between Republicans and democraps is inane. Who is the Republican pelosi, obooba or schumer? Not every Repub fits my tastes, but there are a hell of a lot more who do than the one or two democraps who do. The party line vote on oboobacare shows that clearly. Not one democrap in the Senate is worth a ****. They fall into line behind reid and pelosi. They speak out now, that MA voters have spit in their eye. The definition of gutless.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    Mind you, I'm a friend of Brown, and I love what happened in MA, but are you going to show that he is an example of the republican party? He himself said he was running as an Independent, but had to choose a majority ticket. Several well-known "republican" commentators have come out against him!

    Brown ran on the republican ticket, but he himself said, "I'm an independent."

    The national debate has left most people having to choose the better of two evils, and ignoring the real issues. Health care is going to cost maybe .001% of the national budget, but we are all talking about it instead of the real issues such as where most of the money really goes. It's not going into health care, its not going into all those other stupid things people talk about, but going into more and more creating a huge bureaucracy with three letter names like the FTC, FEC and the ATF (ok, BATFE).

    I've not heard many republicans or democrats talking about getting rid of these institutions ever. Both Bush and Clinton grew the ATF into a monster.

    Amen to the conservative strict constitutional interpretation of our Rights. I've been writing about this for years in my business articles, just started blogging:
    http://www.libertypace.com/journal/2...ights-pt1.html





    Pace

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
    I would never vote libertarian. Pick a side: left or right (not necessarily rep or dem) and stop trying to straddle the fence.

    Two things are found in the middle of the road: Yellow stripes and roadkill.

    Revelation 3:15-16 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would that thou were cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.
    What makes you think that Libertarians Straddle the fence? I'll most likely run on a ticket, because you have to, but I am a supporter of Libertarian principles because it believes in the fence in the very first place.

    The fence is the CONSTITUTION which protects our rights.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    After my failed Mayoral Campaign as a Libertarian I rethought the whole 3rd party candidate thing. If you are running for state wide office, no you dont have a chance in hell unless you are all ready famous.

    Small elections, yeah, if you can shake enough hands, kiss enough babies its possible.

    The best chance, enter the republican primary for the office you want to pursue. Then its only a small group of people you have to convince that you are right for in order to get a huge bump.

    Note: I didn't say anything about BEING a republican...you don't have to be one to run in the primary.

    Win the republican primary as a libertarian and you get street cred as a viable candidate as well as being able to shun the neg. image of being a lock step political hack.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    from what I have read about the Libertarian platform, I agree with most of it. They seem to support smaller government, more self governing (personal responsibility), free market economy with less regulation.

    However, I don't see Libertarians making much of a go at it in the bigger races. Why? Because the general population of this country does not know how they'll govern. They simply haven't been tested enough.

    We have a growing segment of our society that would never vote for a Libertarian because they oppose self governing. We have another segment that would not vote for a Libertarian because they (liberals)believe in regulating everything.

    I don't think the Libertarian partywill havemuch of a chance in the national races until they can prove themselves in the smaller local and state realm of governance. And I believe that these smaller governing bodies are much more important than most give them credit. This is where I believe that Libertarians (running as Libertarians) have the best chance of proving themselves right now.

    Republicans and Libertarians share quite a bit in regards to how they believe government should operate. Libertarians may be a bit more strict about following the Constitution though.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    However, I don't see Libertarians making much of a go at it in the bigger races. Why? Because the general population of this country does not know how they'll govern. They simply haven't been tested enough.
    If you've seen a republican or a democrat govern the same way as another, you get $100 bucks from me. With only two parties, you have to encompass a wide variety of opinions into each party, instead of allowing other parties to be involved.

    That being said, with the new SCOTUS decision, CitizensUnited vs. FEC, the power of parties will be less than before as more and more money floods individuals.

    One of my main platforms when I run will 100% be individual freedom and gun rights.



  18. #18
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Pace wrote:
    One of my main platforms when I run will 100% be individual freedom and gun rights.

    What does this mean? What is "100%...individual freedom?"

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    If I run for office, my platform would be focused on civil rights and the freedom of the individual, the citizen.

    This means that as a citizen, we have freedoms and rights guaranteed by the constitution from birth. They are not privileges -- they are rights, that we should be guaranteed. To deny these rights for almost any reason is ridiculous.

    For example, it should be assumed that every Citizen of the United States has a Right to own a firearm and keep it on his or her person. That for the government to deny that right ever, there must be a circumstance that is so severe that it would be dangerous for that person to have a gun (ie, serious criminals, mental patients in a hospital). This applies to all Rights under the constitution.

    I'm a believer that almost every President in the last few decades has added more and more to our government, so much that we are under the burden of a huge government.


    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases. " - Thomas Jefferson


  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28

    Post imported post

    Pace wrote:
    Thinking of moving to colorado, running as a Libertarian, do I have a chance in hell?
    Sure, a snow ball's chance in hell.

    You are not even sure if you are going to move. What type of commitment is that? NONE.

    You think of "running', FOR WHAT?

  21. #21
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855

    Post imported post

    Pace wrote:
    Mind you, I'm a friend of Brown, and I love what happened in MA, but are you going to show that he is an example of the republican party? He himself said he was running as an Independent, but had to choose a majority ticket. Several well-known "republican" commentators have come out against him!

    Brown ran on the republican ticket, but he himself said, "I'm an independent."

    The national debate has left most people having to choose the better of two evils, and ignoring the real issues. Health care is going to cost maybe .001% of the national budget, but we are all talking about it instead of the real issues such as where most of the money really goes. It's not going into health care, its not going into all those other stupid things people talk about, but going into more and more creating a huge bureaucracy with three letter names like the FTC, FEC and the ATF (ok, BATFE).

    I've not heard many republicans or democrats talking about getting rid of these institutions ever. Both Bush and Clinton grew the ATF into a monster.

    Amen to the conservative strict constitutional interpretation of our Rights. I've been writing about this for years in my business articles, just started blogging:
    http://www.libertypace.com/journal/2...ights-pt1.html





    Pace
    Brown ran in the PDR of Taxachusetts. He had to campaign as an independently thinking Republican, and that's what he did, reaping 65% of the independent vote in so doing. I'm not saying all Republicans are great. Just that they are, as a whole, far better than the democrap they run against. And they vote with the party to align congress--a major point. 3rd party candidates are losers at anything above the local level, as noted above. They take votes from someone who is acceptable, if not perfect, when they run on libertarian or crypo-conservative tickets. If you want to run as a conservative, great. But it needs to be done in the context of having a chance to win, viz., the Republican ticket.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    I should have made that more clear, I am moving to Colorado, then thinking of running. One of the main reasons to run is the overturn the Denver statues against OC.



    Pace wrote:
    Thinking of moving to colorado, running as a Libertarian, do I have a chance in hell?
    Sure, a snow ball's chance in hell.

    You are not even sure if you are going to move. What type of commitment is that? NONE.

    You think of "running', FOR WHAT?

  23. #23
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Pace wrote:
    This means that as a citizen, we have freedoms and rights guaranteed by the constitution from birth. They are not privileges -- they are rights, that we should be guaranteed. To deny these rights for almost any reason is ridiculous.

    For example, it should be assumed that every Citizen of the United States has a Right to own a firearm and keep it on his or her person. That for the government to deny that right ever, there must be a circumstance that is so severe that it would be dangerous for that person to have a gun (ie, serious criminals, mental patients in a hospital). This applies to all Rights under the constitution.
    Is this theWhat is "100%...individual freedom?" part?

    Isn't that what we (and Colorado) have already?

    How would your 100% individiual freedom be different? Would you include in "every Citizen" 17-year-olds? How about mentalpatients notin a hospital?

    Will your position be toallow all Citizens to carry a gun in schools? Courts?



  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    I'm not sure what you are asking? The freedom guaranteed by the Constitution are freedoms of the individual, meaning individual citizens. It means that they apply to people individually. For example, some people argue the 2A is not an individual freedom but only implies militias. That is obvious BS, because framers created the Bill of Rights specifically to apply to people.


    As for the mental patient question, do YOU think that people should be arbitrarily denied their civil rights because someone else says they have issues? If someone doctor tomorrow says that you aren't stable, the government should suddenly be able to deny you rights without due process? There is a simple part of our justice system called DUE PROCESS, which means that you can not deny someone a right based on assumption, or the word of someone else.

    Am I talking about someone who has been in and out of mental hospitals, has had civil confinement because of these same issues, obviously not. However, right now we have soldiers coming back from Iraq who are being denied permits because of claims of PTSD. They are good enough to carry a M16, fight for this country, but when the come back, they are not allowed to defend their family?





  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,250

    Post imported post

    Pace wrote:
    As for the mental patient question, do YOU think that people should be arbitrarily denied their civil rights because someone else says they have issues? If someone doctor tomorrow says that you aren't stable, the government should suddenly be able to deny you rights without due process? There is a simple part of our justice system called DUE PROCESS, which means that you can not deny someone a right based on assumption, or the word of someone else.
    I think about this issue All of the time. If you want to lock someone up against their will in a mental institution- you are entitled to Due process. You even get a doctor to testify in your favor. And the prosecution gets their doctor too, right?

    In the case of carrying a weapon- there's literally no due process- is there? A simple domestic argument is enough seeing as the state prosecutes immediatly upon suspecting criminal activity in this manner. Say you and your wife get into an argument. The neighbor hears screaming and calls the police. They show up and you're wife's still pissed..... Dun dun dnunnn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •