• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Colorado, Thinking of Running

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

since9 wrote:
Yes - you have a chance in Hell. Probably not in Colorado.

Just kidding - it depends where to run, and on what platform (mix of ideas).
Heh, made me laugh.

Gunslinger

imported post

We need to kick the democraps out. That means conservative Republicans on the ballet, not third party candidates to siphon off votes. Get in a primary as a Republican and make your case. If you're a strong conservative, you will have a shot.

Pace

imported post

I've said it before, Gun Rights isn't a Democrat or Republican value.

My interest would be sane politics, probably run on a major ticket.

I have no idea what a conservative means to you, but its not the republican party in this country, sorry. When they stop voting also for BS spending in Washington in the trillions, maybe.

Give me a break.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

I would never vote libertarian. Pick a side: left or right (not necessarily rep or dem) and stop trying to straddle the fence.

Two things are found in the middle of the road: Yellow stripes and roadkill.

Revelation 3:15-16 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would that thou were cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.

Gunslinger

imported post

Pace wrote:
I've said it before, Gun Rights isn't a Democrat or Republican value.

My interest would be sane politics, probably run on a major ticket.

I have no idea what a conservative means to you, but its not the republican party in this country, sorry. When they stop voting also for BS spending in Washington in the trillions, maybe.

Give me a break.
A conservative is a strict constructionist of the Constitution. That's what I am. To say there is no difference between Republicans and democraps is inane. Who is the Republican pelosi, obooba or schumer? Not every Repub fits my tastes, but there are a hell of a lot more who do than the one or two democraps who do. The party line vote on oboobacare shows that clearly. Not one democrap in the Senate is worth a shit. They fall into line behind reid and pelosi. They speak out now, that MA voters have spit in their eye. The definition of gutless.

Pace

imported post

Mind you, I'm a friend of Brown, and I love what happened in MA, but are you going to show that he is an example of the republican party? He himself said he was running as an Independent, but had to choose a majority ticket. Several well-known "republican" commentators have come out against him!

Brown ran on the republican ticket, but he himself said, "I'm an independent."

The national debate has left most people having to choose the better of two evils, and ignoring the real issues. Health care is going to cost maybe .001% of the national budget, but we are all talking about it instead of the real issues such as where most of the money really goes. It's not going into health care, its not going into all those other stupid things people talk about, but going into more and more creating a huge bureaucracy with three letter names like the FTC, FEC and the ATF (ok, BATFE).

I've not heard many republicans or democrats talking about getting rid of these institutions ever. Both Bush and Clinton grew the ATF into a monster.

Amen to the conservative strict constitutional interpretation of our Rights. I've been writing about this for years in my business articles, just started blogging:
http://www.libertypace.com/journal/2010/1/17/gun-rights-are-civil-rights-pt1.html

Pace

Pace

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
I would never vote libertarian. Pick a side: left or right (not necessarily rep or dem) and stop trying to straddle the fence.

Two things are found in the middle of the road: Yellow stripes and roadkill.

Revelation 3:15-16 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would that thou were cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.
What makes you think that Libertarians Straddle the fence? I'll most likely run on a ticket, because you have to, but I am a supporter of Libertarian principles because it believes in the fence in the very first place.

The fence is the CONSTITUTION which protects our rights.

Prophet

imported post

After my failed Mayoral Campaign as a Libertarian I rethought the whole 3rd party candidate thing. If you are running for state wide office, no you dont have a chance in hell unless you are all ready famous.

Small elections, yeah, if you can shake enough hands, kiss enough babies its possible.

The best chance, enter the republican primary for the office you want to pursue. Then its only a small group of people you have to convince that you are right for in order to get a huge bump.

Note: I didn't say anything about BEING a republican...you don't have to be one to run in the primary.

Win the republican primary as a libertarian and you get street cred as a viable candidate as well as being able to shun the neg. image of being a lock step political hack.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

from what I have read about the Libertarian platform, I agree with most of it. They seem to support smaller government, more self governing (personal responsibility), free market economy with less regulation.

However, I don't see Libertarians making much of a go at it in the bigger races. Why? Because the general population of this country does not know how they'll govern. They simply haven't been tested enough.

We have a growing segment of our society that would never vote for a Libertarian because they oppose self governing. We have another segment that would not vote for a Libertarian because they (liberals)believe in regulating everything.

I don't think the Libertarian partywill havemuch of a chance in the national races until they can prove themselves in the smaller local and state realm of governance. And I believe that these smaller governing bodies are much more important than most give them credit. This is where I believe that Libertarians (running as Libertarians) have the best chance of proving themselves right now.

Republicans and Libertarians share quite a bit in regards to how they believe government should operate. Libertarians may be a bit more strict about following the Constitution though.

Pace

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
However, I don't see Libertarians making much of a go at it in the bigger races. Why? Because the general population of this country does not know how they'll govern. They simply haven't been tested enough.
If you've seen a republican or a democrat govern the same way as another, you get $100 bucks from me. With only two parties, you have to encompass a wide variety of opinions into each party, instead of allowing other parties to be involved.

That being said, with the new SCOTUS decision, CitizensUnited vs. FEC, the power of parties will be less than before as more and more money floods individuals.

One of my main platforms when I run will 100% be individual freedom and gun rights.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Pace wrote:

One of my main platforms when I run will 100% be individual freedom and gun rights.
What does this mean? What is "100%...individual freedom?"

Pace

imported post

If I run for office, my platform would be focused on civil rights and the freedom of the individual, the citizen.

This means that as a citizen, we have freedoms and rights guaranteed by the constitution from birth. They are not privileges -- they are rights, that we should be guaranteed. To deny these rights for almost any reason is ridiculous.

For example, it should be assumed that every Citizen of the United States has a Right to own a firearm and keep it on his or her person. That for the government to deny that right ever, there must be a circumstance that is so severe that it would be dangerous for that person to have a gun (ie, serious criminals, mental patients in a hospital). This applies to all Rights under the constitution.

I'm a believer that almost every President in the last few decades has added more and more to our government, so much that we are under the burden of a huge government.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases. " - Thomas Jefferson

Pat-inCO

imported post

Pace wrote:
Thinking of moving to colorado, running as a Libertarian, do I have a chance in hell?
Sure, a snow ball's chance in hell.

You are not even sure if you are going to move. What type of commitment is that? NONE. :banghead:

You think of "running', FOR WHAT?