Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep hitting this poll to repeal one handgun a Month law in VirginiaMonth

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Guns will be a hot topic in the Virginia General Assembly. One proposed bill would roll back the state's one-handgun-per-month purchase. What do you think?

http://www.nvdaily.com/news/2010/01/...ew-session.php

Currently 95% favor repeal.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Guns will be a hot topic in the Virginia General Assembly. One proposed bill would roll back the state's one-handgun-per-month purchase. What do you think?
    What a silly law. What, exactly, is its stated purpose?

I'm surprised that they didn't make it 3/5 handgun per month...

Post imported post

The present statute excludes CHP holders from the one handgun/month.
    There are exceptions, but generally non-permit holders are limited to one per month.

The proposal would put everyone one the same non-limiting footing.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Centurion

Post imported post

Its strategic purpose is to provide a rational to eliminate private sales and to put into place an onerous and strict gun registration scheme. "One gun a month" is meaningless without those infringements on the right to keep and bear arms.

Registration is the "gold standard" because it sets up potential confiscation. In effect, registration is practically the same as confiscation for a number of reasons.

Post imported post

ccwinstructor wrote:
    Its strategic purpose is to provide a rational to eliminate private sales and to put into place an onerous and strict gun registration scheme. "One gun a month" is meaningless without those infringements on the right to keep and bear arms.

Registration is the "gold standard" because it sets up potential confiscation. In effect, registration is practically the same as confiscation for a number of reasons.
    How does it provide the rationale to eliminate private sales?

It seems to not prohibit private sales in general--just the rate of purchases by a buyer.

Centurion

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    ccwinstructor wrote:

How does it provide the rationale to eliminate private sales?

It seems to not prohibit private sales in general--just the rate of purchases by a buyer.

Centurion

Post imported post

"How does it provide the rationale to eliminate private sales?

It seems to not prohibit private sales in general--just the rate of purchases by a buyer."

It provides the rational to eliminate private sales because there is no means to prevent private sellers from selling more than one gun a month. How is the government to track who buys more than one gun a month unless they have complete records of who buys guns and how many? They cannot do that unless private sales are made into government regulated sales by requiring that they be done through a dealer. They are then no longer private and are part of the regulatory scheme.

When gun rationing fails to prevent criminals from getting guns, any incident will be used to demand how the rationing system failed. The obvious "fix" will then be to require all private sales to be regulated by inclusion into the exisiting data base. Any sales not in the data base would by definition be illegal.

Post imported post

Hit it.

I do not think that the 1 per month applies to private sales. If it does, I do not see a way that they can enforce it.

My thoughts as to the purpose of it is to raise money off of the CHPs that all of us gun nuts got so that we could buy more than 1 per month through a FFL. Just my .02

Post imported post

sccrref wrote:
    My thoughts as to the purpose of it is to raise money off of the CHPs that all of us gun nuts got so that we could buy more than 1 per month through a FFL. Just my .02

Really, that's a little strained.

I think the rationale for the silly restriction in VA is a logic that says that to limit gun acquisition--in any way--somehow would be a good thing.

The anti-gun ideology blinds the introducers and supporters of this law to the obvious reality that it does not significantly limits gun acquisition.

It's an embarassingly naive law. Rather like the gun buyout logic.

I empathize with those that have to live with this restriction and I totally support its repeal.

Ironically, "hitting this poll" is, uhm, equally naive and unlikely to be of any significant value.

Better to write a letter...

Post imported post

I know these polls have little true value as people will hit them, but COME ON. It looks like everybody from the VPC and their friends voted twice!

29 - Leave law in effect

688 - Repeal it

Yata hey

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

sccrref wrote:
    I do not think that the 1 per month applies to private sales.
    Yesd it does, see plain language of Va. Code Section 18.2-308.2:2.

Post imported post

I hit the website and voted to repeal.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    sccrref wrote:
    Since it applies to private sales, it begs the questions: How is the law enforced? and Do citizens comply with the law? Is it just a paper law (because it's so silly)?

Grapeshot wrote:
    I know these polls have little true value as people will hit them, but COME ON. It looks like everybody from the VPC and their friends voted twice!
    Awww, I dunno. I see the rah rah aspect of doing it, GS.

But allI keep thinking ofis that darn Skinner box....

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

http://www.nvdaily.com/news/2010/01/...ew-session.php

Currently 95% favor repeal.

Yata hey
    I think we need to take up the general assembly's kind offer to help purchase additional handguns by subsidizing our turning in our old ones!

Give my regards to David. Went to high school with the fellow. He's got a good heart, great background and upbringing, and outstanding education.

Just not a lot of common sense, at times. If he's for this, tsk tsk. If against, well, then, he's for us, not against us.

- since9
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Post imported post

Keep the law in effect. 4% (29 votes)

Repeal it. 96% (735 votes)

Total Votes: 764

Yata hey

Post imported post

Why does anyone need to buy more than one gun a month unless they are a dealer?

Post imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
    "Need" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

How about if someone finds a match set of revolvers they'd like to have or come across an exceptional buy/value 28 days after purchasing a Glock.

Why do you ask? Surely you are not pro-gun only if someone hasn't already purchased a gun this month.

Yata hey

Yata hey

Post imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
    "Need" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

How about if someone finds a match set of revolvers they'd like to have or come across an exceptional buy/value 28 days after purchasing a Glock.

Why do you ask? Surely you are not pro-gun only if someone hasn't already purchased a gun this month.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Just playing devils advocate.

I guess that means that in virginia one isn't eligible to purchase the Sig 2sum since the BATF counts them as two guns?

What is one wanted to buy the John Wayne commemorative matched set of 30-30 lever actions?

Post imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
    Just playing devils advocate.

I guess that means that in virginia one isn't eligible to purchase the Sig 2sum since the BATF counts them as two guns?

What is one wanted to buy the John Wayne commemorative matched set of 30-30 lever actions?
    CHP holders are exempted from the one handgun a month - long guns are not included either.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Repeal it. 96% (769 votes)

Total Votes: 798

All we need is the next 31 voters to vote "Repeal it" to move up to 97%!!

(.96501809, rounded up)

Gotta keep hitting this poll!

Post imported post

There are actually 0 comments on this poll. Thought for sure I'd find some anti ranting.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Repeal it. 96% (777 votes)

Total Votes: 806

Oh, baby. We're movingup!

Now at 96.401985%
    :celebrate

HITthis poll! Now!

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    sccrref wrote:
    I stand corrected. I still fail to see how they can realistically enforce this for private sales.

Post imported post

sccrref wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    sccrref wrote:
    I stand corrected. I still fail to see how they can realistically enforce this for private sales.
    The law could end up "biting" someone in a number of ways.

Don't you keep a record of from whom you purchase and when in case there is a problem down the road? It could be problematic to withhold that data and still benefit from its protection - example the guns were reported stolen earlier from a third party or used in a crime.

Likely you would be easily exonerated of guilt in the theft or misuse of the guns, but charged and probably convicted of illegal multiple purchases.

I am sure that there are other ways this could come to light; notwithstanding that we should always follow the law.

Yata hey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast