• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Keep hitting this poll to repeal one handgun a Month law in VirginiaMonth

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Guns will be a hot topic in the Virginia General Assembly. One proposed bill would roll back the state's one-handgun-per-month purchase. What do you think?

What a silly law. What, exactly, is its stated purpose?

I'm surprised that they didn't make it 3/5 handgun per month...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The present statute excludes CHP holders from the one handgun/month.
There are exceptions, but generally non-permit holders are limited to one per month.

The proposal would put everyone one the same non-limiting footing.

Yata hey

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

Its strategic purpose is to provide a rational to eliminate private sales and to put into place an onerous and strict gun registration scheme. "One gun a month" is meaningless without those infringements on the right to keep and bear arms.

Registration is the "gold standard" because it sets up potential confiscation. In effect, registration is practically the same as confiscation for a number of reasons.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ccwinstructor wrote:
Its strategic purpose is to provide a rational to eliminate private sales and to put into place an onerous and strict gun registration scheme. "One gun a month" is meaningless without those infringements on the right to keep and bear arms.

Registration is the "gold standard" because it sets up potential confiscation. In effect, registration is practically the same as confiscation for a number of reasons.

How does it provide the rationale to eliminate private sales?

It seems to not prohibit private sales in general--just the rate of purchases by a buyer.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

HankT wrote:
ccwinstructor wrote:

How does it provide the rationale to eliminate private sales?

It seems to not prohibit private sales in general--just the rate of purchases by a buyer.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

"How does it provide the rationale to eliminate private sales?

It seems to not prohibit private sales in general--just the rate of purchases by a buyer."

It provides the rational to eliminate private sales because there is no means to prevent private sellers from selling more than one gun a month. How is the government to track who buys more than one gun a month unless they have complete records of who buys guns and how many? They cannot do that unless private sales are made into government regulated sales by requiring that they be done through a dealer. They are then no longer private and are part of the regulatory scheme.

When gun rationing fails to prevent criminals from getting guns, any incident will be used to demand how the rationing system failed. The obvious "fix" will then be to require all private sales to be regulated by inclusion into the exisiting data base. Any sales not in the data base would by definition be illegal.

sccrref

imported post

Hit it.

I do not think that the 1 per month applies to private sales. If it does, I do not see a way that they can enforce it.

My thoughts as to the purpose of it is to raise money off of the CHPs that all of us gun nuts got so that we could buy more than 1 per month through a FFL. Just my .02

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

sccrref wrote:
My thoughts as to the purpose of it is to raise money off of the CHPs that all of us gun nuts got so that we could buy more than 1 per month through a FFL. Just my .02

Really, that's a little strained.

I think the rationale for the silly restriction in VA is a logic that says that to limit gun acquisition--in any way--somehow would be a good thing.

The anti-gun ideology blinds the introducers and supporters of this law to the obvious reality that it does not significantly limits gun acquisition.

It's an embarassingly naive law. Rather like the gun buyout logic.

I empathize with those that have to live with this restriction and I totally support its repeal.

Ironically, "hitting this poll" is, uhm, equally naive and unlikely to be of any significant value.

Better to write a letter...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I know these polls have little true value as people will hit them, but COME ON. It looks like everybody from the VPC and their friends voted twice! :lol:

29 - Leave law in effect

688 - Repeal it

Yata hey

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
sccrref wrote:
I do not think that the 1 per month applies to private sales.
Yesd it does, see plain language of Va. Code Section 18.2-308.2:2.

Since it applies to private sales, it begs the questions: How is the law enforced? and Do citizens comply with the law? Is it just a paper law (because it's so silly)?

Grapeshot wrote:
I know these polls have little true value as people will hit them, but COME ON. It looks like everybody from the VPC and their friends voted twice! :lol:
Awww, I dunno. I see the rah rah aspect of doing it, GS.

But allI keep thinking ofis that darn Skinner box....

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Guns will be a hot topic in the Virginia General Assembly. One proposed bill would roll back the state's one-handgun-per-month purchase. What do you think?

http://www.nvdaily.com/news/2010/01/both-sides-of-gun-debate-eager-to-be-heard-in-new-session.php

Currently 95% favor repeal.

Yata hey
I think we need to take up the general assembly's kind offer to help purchase additional handguns by subsidizing our turning in our old ones!

Give my regards to David. Went to high school with the fellow. He's got a good heart, great background and upbringing, and outstanding education.

Just not a lot of common sense, at times. If he's for this, tsk tsk. If against, well, then, he's for us, not against us.

- since9

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Keep the law in effect. 4% (29 votes)

Repeal it. 96% (735 votes)

Total Votes: 764

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
Why does anyone need to buy more than one gun a month unless they are a dealer?
"Need" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

How about if someone finds a match set of revolvers they'd like to have or come across an exceptional buy/value 28 days after purchasing a Glock.

Why do you ask? Surely you are not pro-gun only if someone hasn't already purchased a gun this month.

Yata hey

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
Why does anyone need to buy more than one gun a month unless they are a dealer?
"Need" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

How about if someone finds a match set of revolvers they'd like to have or come across an exceptional buy/value 28 days after purchasing a Glock.

Why do you ask? Surely you are not pro-gun only if someone hasn't already purchased a gun this month.

Yata hey

Rugerp345

imported post

Just playing devils advocate.

I guess that means that in virginia one isn't eligible to purchase the Sig 2sum since the BATF counts them as two guns?

What is one wanted to buy the John Wayne commemorative matched set of 30-30 lever actions?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
Just playing devils advocate.

I guess that means that in virginia one isn't eligible to purchase the Sig 2sum since the BATF counts them as two guns?

What is one wanted to buy the John Wayne commemorative matched set of 30-30 lever actions?
CHP holders are exempted from the one handgun a month - long guns are not included either.

Yata hey