• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Riverside County Sheriff issues CCW permits

coolusername2007

imported post

For those in favor of UOC/LOC and CCW. I attended a community forum tonight where Riverside County Sheriff Sniff discussed the issue of relaxing CCW permits to residents. According to him, last year there were a little over 100 applications, of which all but a couple were approved (which means a 98+% approval rating). Sheriff Sniff indicated the relaxing of CCW permit issuance is because the state is releasing 40K+ prisoners.

I wanted to post this message because this is news to me that the Sheriff is issuing permits in this county. The only real "data" I had to go on was this map. Which leads to the question of when was this map created and how often does it get revised/updated? Maybe a revision is in order.

rosemonter

imported post

Are CCW's issued in such county's only valid in said county? Or, is this a CCW that is valid in the entire state?

oc4ever

imported post

Riverside County has a population of 2,100,000 people. They issued 100 CCW permits....,thats means it is almost impossible to get one. The hundred were probably all to judges and reserve officers. I will see it when I believe it, as there past track record is awful.

wewd

imported post

It is possible for a CCW to be valid only in the county of issuance, usually when it's for a business reason and the person's home and business(es) are in the same county. It's up to the discretion of the Sheriff. But most permits are good all over the state.

(ii) If the licensee's place of employment or business was the
basis for issuance of the license pursuant to subparagraph (A) of
paragraph (1), the license is valid for any period of time not to
exceed 90 days from the date of the license. The license shall be
valid only in the county in which the license was originally issued.
The licensee shall give a copy of this license to the licensing
authority of the city, county, or city and county in which he or she
resides. The licensing authority that originally issued the license
shall inform the licensee verbally and in writing in at least
16-point type of this obligation to give a copy of the license to the
licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county of
residence. Any application to renew or extend the validity of, or
reissue, the license may be granted only upon the concurrence of the
licensing authority that originally issued the license and the
licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county in which
the licensee resides.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

oc4ever wrote:
Riverside County has a population of 2,100,000 people. They issued 100 CCW permits....,thats means it is almost impossible to get one. The hundred were probably all to judges and reserve officers. I will see it when I believe it, as there past track record is awful.

I thought from the OP, that only 100 applications were submitted and roughly 2% were rejected?

And holy crap, California is releasing 40,000 prisoners?

mjones

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
I wanted to post this message because this is news to me that the Sheriff is issuing permits in this county. The only real "data" I had to go on was this map. Which leads to the question of when was this map created and how often does it get revised/updated? Maybe a revision is in order.

The map is from CalCCW.com - nota bad site, but they are extremely careful with advice, they always err on the side of 'safe' rather then what is strictly speaking 'legal'

Its focus is obviously CCW - so talk about anything else is fairly discouraged.

I don't know how regularly they update the map. Though I know it was updated fairly quickly when Orange County changed its policies.

onedavetoomany

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
Hey cool how comfortable is your couch?:lol:How much do you want for rent?

Extremely comfortable! :cool:

1 Million dollars. :lol:
1 million dollars per million years. I can handle that lol.
Just give that million to the right people and you'll get a CCW in San Diego. lol

coolusername2007

imported post

Given the Sheriff's statements last night, I think I will test out his fondness for issuing CCW's. Especially since its an election year with 2A going in front of SCOTUS.

Last night he said he's a firm believer in the BoRs, 2A, life long member of NRA, and has publicly opposed AB962 and is working to get it repealed. Well, let's see.

chewy352

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Given the Sheriff's statements last night, I think I will test out his fondness for issuing CCW's. Especially since its an election year with 2A going in front of SCOTUS.

Last night he said he's a firm believer in the BoRs, 2A, life long member of NRA, and has publicly opposed AB962 and is working to get it repealed. Well, let's see.
Might as well. It's nice to have the option.

bomb_guy

imported post

I was at the meeting too and for those that don't know him, Sheriff Sniff is very pro 2a. Before taking office he was a competitive six gun shooter (he told a friend of mine that he just doesn't have time for that anymore). I thought most of his answers were typical of an administrator considering he is far removed from the actual application of law enforcement.

The precise numbers he quoted were 102 ccw applicants, and 2 denials. I don't care where you are from, that is an impressive record. Based on his comments, my understanding was that he is looking for more than mere self defense as the sole reason for a ccw. However, I felt it was clear he simply wanted someone to articulate their need for self defense. He was quick to clarify that no person needs to have been a victim of any crime, nor do they need to have impending threats of harm on them. I felt he was merely looking to see that the applicants could communicate more than one or two lines. I have a feeling this could be related to his perception of how the person is likely to articulate the events of a shooting if they were involved in one.

He brought up some good points and overall, I felt he was supportive and he intends to issue ccw's to the honest citizens.

Decoligny

imported post

oc4ever wrote:

The OP stated that there were 100 application, and they issued 98 licenses. Thus a 98% chance of getting approved IF YOU APPLY.

That only means 100 people out of the 2,100,000 people actually took the time to submit an application.

If 2,100,000 people submitted applications and only 100 got approved, then I would agree with your analysis.

oc4ever

imported post

Decoligny stated

The OP stated that there were 100 application, and they issued 98 licenses. Thus a 98% chance of getting approved IF YOU APPLY.

That only means 100 people out of the 2,100,000 people actually took the time to submit an application.

If 2,100,000 people submitted applications and only 100 got approved, then I would agree with your analysis.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is a link to the Riverside SD CCW application.

http://www.riversidesheriff.org/info/CCW-RSO.pdf

I live in Riverside County, and they discourage applicants telling you (on the phone) that you won't qualify. This is a Quote from page 5 of their application:

ADDITIONAL ITEMS REQUIRED IF APPLYING STRICTLY FOR PERSONAL PROTECTION

Current police reports and/or other documentation supporting need,such as restraining orders or other verifiable writtten statements.

VALID DEATH THREATS OR HARASSMENT ARE THE ONLY CRITERIA WHERE THE ISSUANCE OF A CCW PERMIT WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PERSONAL PROTECTION.THE RIVERSIDE COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT DOES NOT ISSUE PERMITS TO PROVIDE A "FEELING OF SAFETY" OR TO ALILVATE A "FEAR OF VICTIMIZATION".

This statement flys directly in the face of what the Sheriff is stating in public. You need to become a crime victim first , and then maybe we might possibly consider that you could almost try to get a CCW permit if the crime was heinous enough to qualify. Sure....I find it hard to believe only 102 people applied. Most were discouraged/turned away before written application, like I was.

Maybe a whole group of us that are residents should apply together, and see who gets a permit. Kind of like a lotto, and see who wins. The odds are about the same!

coolusername2007

imported post

Yup, there is a reason whyonly 100 people applied, I'm sure most people are turned away or highlydiscouraged. Or, as someone posted over at the parallel calguns thread, they aren't being counted.

Again there is only one way to find out. My friend and I will be applying. I will also be seeking the help of Team Billy Jack at http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/

I suspect Sheriff Sniff is acutely aware of what's going on in the SD and OC sheriff elections and knows its only a matter of time in Riverside. He may be pro-gun, but I don't like the fact that he is playing politics with my unalienable rights and his power to grant or deny.

For all those who want a CCW in Riverside, regardless of what he says publicly, pucker up and be prepared to kiss the ring.

inetprez

imported post

I have recently (October 2009) moved back into Riverside County from Orange County. I did have a CCW in Orange County that expired a few years back. It is my hope to reapply in Riverside County. I will keep everyone up to date on the progress.

BTW, has anyone here tried UOC (Unloaded Open Carry) in the Temecula/Murietta areas?