• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attaching a collapsable stock to a WASR 10

T Vance

imported post

I recently removed the fixed wooden stock from my WASR 10 (AK-47 variant) and registered it as a pistol. I'm looking to either attach a underfolding stock or a side folding stock.

First of all, what kind would be better? What are the pro's & con's of each (if any). What kind/brand would you suggest and why?

Second, are the easy to install on my own? It looks like I would have to remove a rivet to install the underfolding stock (I'm not sure about the side folder, I have never seen one on an AK in person).

Third, how do I install either on my type of rifle? Any links?

Thanks

Michigander

imported post

I suggest side folding if you want to be able be able to fit a pad to the part of the stock your cheek will rest on. Under folders can be annoying for that reason.

ATI makes a durable and reasonably priced (in comparison to others) T6 that side folds. http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AKA3600 I suggest this one, because it will adjust nicely depending for seasonal attire and different shooters.

For a little less money, you can get a TAPCO side folder that doesn't collapse.
http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=STK06150D

Installation is a matter of a pulling out a couple screws, and pulling the stock straight out, with the reverse process to put the new one in. It is about as complicated as putting a fresh lead in a mechanical pencil. Nothing to it.

T Vance

imported post

My only concern with the side folders is with either of these attached, would my WASR still be considered a pistol due to the overall length when it is attached and folded to the side.

G

imported post

Not being familiar with the AK platform, I can't link you to the specific parts. But this company does offer parts to accomplish your objective.

I got my Sig556 folder parts from here. Real good quality. Fast delivery.

Use the menu to the left:

http://riflestocks.com/index2.htm

office888

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I recently removed the fixed wooden stock from my WASR 10 (AK-47 variant) and registered it as a pistol. I'm looking to either attach a underfolding stock or a side folding stock.

First of all, what kind would be better? What are the pro's & con's of each (if any). What kind/brand would you suggest and why?
Not ATI / Tapco.

Both company's produce okay products, but they're quite bulky, and extremely heavy in comparison. Although a friend of mine did break his ATI folding stock on his WASR during regular use. The pivot-pin used to be made of plastic.

My suggestion is to go the military surplus route, because it's guaranteed to be reliable, and durable.

The East German Folding Stock:
http://whatacountry.com/east-german-ak-47-folding-stock.aspx

-Richard-

jeremy05

imported post

you were worried about it STILL being a pistol? How long is the barrel?

From what I understand you can't put a stock on a Pistol. At least in Michigan. I could be wrong

office888

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
you were worried about it STILL being a pistol? How long is the barrel?

From what I understand you can't put a stock on a Pistol. At least in Michigan. I could be wrong
You're combining both state and federal laws together.

That's not how it works.

As long as it has at LEAST a 16" barrel as a rifle, it's not an SBR. You could have a 10" barrel if you wanted to, as long as you have a 6" flashhider/compensator, making the overall length 16".

However, if ANY weapon is under 30" in Michigan, it must be registered as a pistol.

autosurgeon wrote:
Actually you are right ... 26 to 30 is a pistol if it has an 18 inch barrel.
16" limit for rifles
18" limit for shotguns

G

imported post

A couple of erroneous posts here.

Check your cites prior to posting please.

Better yet, post the cite.

ETA: Cite

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28qlbirbfkdpmu5545eenxdy45%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-421&highlight=firearms

(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

ETA: Additional cite

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ql...-750-222&highlight=short AND barrel AND rifle

(h) “Shotgun” means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single function of the trigger.
(i) “Short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having 1 or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or a weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
(j) “Rifle” means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
(k) “Short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having 1 or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a weapon made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

autosurgeon

imported post

Ehhh sorry that was a mistype.... the 18 was sposed to be 16 :uhoh:

Here is the biggest part of the whole thing that seems to confuse people.

State and Federal firearms definitions and laws do not mix.

So in this case as long as the gun has an overall length of 26 inches and a 16 inch barrel it is a long gun in the Eyes of the BATF.

As long as it has an overall length of 26 inches and a 16 inch barrel and is not longer than 30 inches it is a MI pistol and must be registered.

Now as soon as that gun crosses the line into any other state it is no longer a pistol as that is a state definition Federally it is and was always a rifle.

However if it can meet the state definition and is registered then it can be carried loaded in all circumstances that any other pistol could carried as such either OC or CC dependent of course on whether or not the owner has a CPL. (But only in MI)

jeremy05

imported post

I didn't mention anything about the length of anything, I just said a PISTOL, which is whatever the length is of a PISTOL. I was saying that I don't THINK you can add a stock onto a PISTOL.

Now we all know that not all guns are the same, which is I asked the original poster what the length of his barrel is.

edit.

You could have a 10" barrel if you wanted to, as long as you have a 6" flashhider/compensator, making the overall length 16"

But that would look retarded and people would make fun of you. :lol:

autosurgeon

imported post

Jeremy my post was not directed at you in particular but at the group as a whole... This comes up on a regular basis and can be confusing for some and they may not post a question..

Part of why my first posts were mistyped is I was posting from my phone... and my thumbs are too big :lol:

G

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
You could have a 10" barrel if you wanted to, as long as you have a 6" flashhider/compensator, making the overall length 16"

But that would look retarded and people would make fun of you. :lol:
Your ability to learn is hindered by your contempt prior to investigation.

There's a lot about the AR15 weapon system that you obviously are lacking knowledge of.

Would you make fun of this hero?

GAU-5A.jpg

Or this one?

Phil_Somner_copy.jpg

Or someone that assembles a XM177 clone?

DSC02501.jpg

I think jack booted thugs are retarded.;)

office888

imported post

BATF law is such BS when it comes to the "Moderator".

So it's a one-baffle suppressor to increase gas pressure, and they call it a "suppressor, $200 tax stamp required".

But, down the road, Noveske releases the KX3 "Flash suppressor / Muzzle brake", which is ALSO a one-baffle suppressor.

But legally, it's a flash-suppressor and NOT regulated.

BATF - Where a shoe string is a machinegun.
shoestringmachinegun.jpg

shoestringnotmachinegun.jpg

Oh yeah, the XM177 clone is sweet, but it looks like he didn't reprofile the lower, to be the correct A1 lower... :D

But we digress
-----------------------------

OTHER stock to consider, is one that's extremely popular in Afghanistan right now:

The triangular folding stock. Here's one made of polymer:
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16845

-Richard-