Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: National Park Carry begins Feb 2010

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    Can't wait to go hiking in Zion. Anybody dare be the test case for open carry?

  2. #2
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    Only if you dare to show yer face online more often. :P I would like to start with the Arches. I have never seen them.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Grantsville, Utah, USA
    Posts
    124

    Post imported post

    wellI will be in Moab for Easter. And will carry if my wife allows me to.

    :?Yup she has me preety wipped.:?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    February 22 is the exact date, I think. I'm looking forward to it!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    swillden wrote:
    February 22 is the exact date, I think. I'm looking forward to it!
    George Washington's birthday!

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    453

    Post imported post

    It will be legal and they won't hassle you. Last year for a brief period it was legal to conceal carry there before the court (thank god) struck it down (because now it will be like National Forests, meaning state law will apply. period). Anyway, I got pulled over inside Arches Nat Park in that period for speeding. The ranger was very knowledgeable and asked if I had guns. Told them plenty but I had a concealed permit from Texas and was carrying concealed. He stated he knows it is legal and that Utah accepts any other state's permit... It was in February last year and the guy was very nice and cut me a break for speeding. I will open carry in the Arizona and Utah National Parks this year. There's no reason to fear anything, the new law is simple and clear not like the old BS that got struck down by the courts.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    Only if you dare to show yer face online more often.* :P* I would like to start with the Arches.* I have never seen them.
    Jensen... I tend to turn into a know it all jerk online. I've been trying to stick to face to face relationships.

    Do we know if the date is really Feb 22?

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    453

    Post imported post

    The date is February 22!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    Hi there! I'm new to the forums here and just wanted to ask a question. This thread seems to be the place to ask it.
    I am planning on hiking/camping in Canyonlands this summer and I do not have a concealed license in any state. So, I assume if I were to carry in Utah it must be open carry, and I understand that means no rounds in the chamber (for a semi auto). To add to some background, I live in New Jersey (okay, let's hear it!) and it's interesting to hear about how unremarkable it is for people to be seen "packing". Okay, here is my question: Is it really that unremarkable? When I walk out of the hotel to get in the car with a sidearm hanging off my belt, I won't be hassled? No 911 calls? Because here in commie-land NJ someone with a picture of a gun on his shirt sends towns into lockdown.
    Thanks for any info you can provide.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    macbrun wrote:
    Hi there! I'm new to the forums here and just wanted to ask a question. This thread seems to be the place to ask it.
    I am planning on hiking/camping in Canyonlands this summer and I do not have a concealed license in any state. So, I assume if I were to carry in Utah it must be open carry, and I understand that means no rounds in the chamber (for a semi auto). To add to some background, I live in New Jersey (okay, let's hear it!) and it's interesting to hear about how unremarkable it is for people to be seen "packing". Okay, here is my question: Is it really that unremarkable? When I walk out of the hotel to get in the car with a sidearm hanging off my belt, I won't be hassled? No 911 calls? Because here in commie-land NJ someone with a picture of a gun on his shirt sends towns into lockdown.
    Your understanding of the law is correct, you can open carry with a full magazine but empty chamber.

    And, no, unless there's something else about you that looks "scary", you can expect not to be hassled at all. Around town you might get some strange or wary looks, you're likely to get some nods of approval. Depending on where you go in the Canyonlands you may not even see any people, but if you do it's very unlikely that they'll think anything of it if they're local, or from any of the surrounding states. It's extremely common to see guns in the back country.

    You may run into some tourists from "commie" states (to use your term) who might be freaked out about it, but it's pretty unlikely they'll bother YOU about it, and if they find a park ranger, the ranger will know the law.

    Enjoy the unbelievable scenery and enjoy being able to exercise your constitutional right to keep and bear arms!

    EDIT: When I say it's very common to see guns in the back country, that obviously hasn't applied to Canyonlands until now, but it's definitely not rare to see people carrying in the National Forest and BLM lands that cover much of the state.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    Swillden,
    Thanks for the reassurances! I'm looking for to visiting. Just wish I had the time to see more of Utah.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •