• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Park Carry begins Feb 2010

combatcarry

imported post

Can't wait to go hiking in Zion. Anybody dare be the test case for open carry? :)

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It will be legal and they won't hassle you. Last year for a brief period it was legal to conceal carry there before the court (thank god) struck it down (because now it will be like National Forests, meaning state law will apply. period). Anyway, I got pulled over inside Arches Nat Park in that period for speeding. The ranger was very knowledgeable and asked if I had guns. Told them plenty but I had a concealed permit from Texas and was carrying concealed. He stated he knows it is legal and that Utah accepts any other state's permit... It was in February last year and the guy was very nice and cut me a break for speeding. I will open carry in the Arizona and Utah National Parks this year. There's no reason to fear anything, the new law is simple and clear not like the old BS that got struck down by the courts.

combatcarry

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Only if you dare to show yer face online more often.  :p  I would like to start with the Arches.  I have never seen them.

Jensen... I tend to turn into a know it all jerk online. I've been trying to stick to face to face relationships. ;)

Do we know if the date is really Feb 22?

macbrun

imported post

Hi there! I'm new to the forums here and just wanted to ask a question. This thread seems to be the place to ask it.
I am planning on hiking/camping in Canyonlands this summer and I do not have a concealed license in any state. So, I assume if I were to carry in Utah it must be open carry, and I understand that means no rounds in the chamber (for a semi auto). To add to some background, I live in New Jersey (okay, let's hear it!) and it's interesting to hear about how unremarkable it is for people to be seen "packing". Okay, here is my question: Is it really that unremarkable? When I walk out of the hotel to get in the car with a sidearm hanging off my belt, I won't be hassled? No 911 calls? Because here in commie-land NJ someone with a picture of a gun on his shirt sends towns into lockdown.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

swillden

imported post

macbrun wrote:
Hi there! I'm new to the forums here and just wanted to ask a question. This thread seems to be the place to ask it.
I am planning on hiking/camping in Canyonlands this summer and I do not have a concealed license in any state. So, I assume if I were to carry in Utah it must be open carry, and I understand that means no rounds in the chamber (for a semi auto). To add to some background, I live in New Jersey (okay, let's hear it!) and it's interesting to hear about how unremarkable it is for people to be seen "packing". Okay, here is my question: Is it really that unremarkable? When I walk out of the hotel to get in the car with a sidearm hanging off my belt, I won't be hassled? No 911 calls? Because here in commie-land NJ someone with a picture of a gun on his shirt sends towns into lockdown.
Your understanding of the law is correct, you can open carry with a full magazine but empty chamber.

And, no, unless there's something else about you that looks "scary", you can expect not to be hassled at all. Around town you might get some strange or wary looks, you're likely to get some nods of approval. Depending on where you go in the Canyonlands you may not even see any people, but if you do it's very unlikely that they'll think anything of it if they're local, or from any of the surrounding states. It's extremely common to see guns in the back country.

You may run into some tourists from "commie" states (to use your term) who might be freaked out about it, but it's pretty unlikely they'll bother YOU about it, and if they find a park ranger, the ranger will know the law.

Enjoy the unbelievable scenery and enjoy being able to exercise your constitutional right to keep and bear arms!

EDIT: When I say it's very common to see guns in the back country, that obviously hasn't applied to Canyonlands until now, but it's definitely not rare to see people carrying in the National Forest and BLM lands that cover much of the state.