• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

why is the NRA good?

kyleplusitunes

imported post

I don't know if this will turn out to be a good topic, however I was always under the understanding that the NRA was a fraud.

they supported the 68 gun control act and turn a right into a privledge, when you have to compromise a fundamental right, doesn't that make it wrong?

I'm a young guy, maybe a little misinformed. are my thoughts however not correct?

if anyone could explain what exactly the NRA does that is a good thing I would definatly be interested in reading.

I'd also be interested in reading more reasons why they are bad.

Michigander

imported post

I think they are a lot like the UAW in that they have done some good, and some bad.

I like to call them "Negotiate Rights Away", because they have a long history of bending in on issues, especially NFA related. In my opinion, the NRA should be stopping at nothing to end the NFA, instead they allowed it to be instated, then sat idly by when the 86 FOPA outlawed new machine guns.

They have definitely done a lot to promote small arms ownership, like taking on various cities when they do gun bans and things. But I think they have more than lost their way.

Haman J.T.

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I think they are a lot like the UAW in that they have done some good, and some bad.

I like to call them "Negotiate Rights Away", because they have a long history of bending in on issues, especially NFA related. In my opinion, the NRA should be stopping at nothing to end the NFA, instead they allowed it to be instated, then sat idly by when the 86 FOPA outlawed new machine guns.

They have definitely done a lot to promote small arms ownership, like taking on various cities when they do gun bans and things. But I think they have more than lost their way.
I'm a life member of the NRA and they always fight for our rights.They lobby in DC but are unable to force those who are elected by the people to do what we want them to.If the NRA were as powerfull as the liberals say they are,there would be no firearm laws except the 2A.

sevenplusone

imported post

I think the NRA allows us to have a very large voice in the crowd. While the liberals are always trying to paint us/them as the 'Big Bad NRA' full of crazys, it's ultimately a large group of like-minded individuals. Membership in the NRA is good, but especially when also a member and an activist locally. The war if fought in Washington, the battles are being won at home.

Bronson

imported post

As a little aside I'd like to pass on a story that was told to me by my sociology professor.

She wentback eastfor a class reunuion and got to talking with a classmate who had gone on to be a state representative. She asked if the reps. really paid attention to the letters they received from constituents and he told her they did. He went on to tell her that, while mostreps won't admit it publicly, they pay more attention to those people who belong to a group. These people, he told her, are more often than not "one issue voters" and they tend to be very informed when it came to their issue of choice. And whereas a rep may vote against Joe Citizen's wishes on one or two issues the chances are good that Joe Citizen will still vote for the rep in the future while it just takes one dissenting vote and Joe One-Issue, and all of his one-issue friends,will start looking for a different candidate.

The upshot of all this wasthe professor told us that if we write our reps and we are members of a pertinent special interest group thatwe need to make sure we name that membership and provide our member number in the signature of the letter, it does make a difference.

Bronson

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here is the other thing.

The NRA is only as "good" or as "bad" as the members who make it up allow it to be.

If you are unhappy about the way the NRA has handled things, join and bitch about it to the directors.

Make it clear that you expect them to represent you, and to fully back second amendment rights.

If you don't think that is enough, then find five friends to do the same. If that doesn't do it for you, find 30.

Additionally, you can support groups such as the Second Amendment Foundation (who is financing the Chicago gun law challenge) or Gun Owners of America.

The point is: Make yourself heard. Make sure the organizations that you support know your views.

wolverine1856

imported post

They are constantly fighting for our rights. Every gun owner should be a member and donate (time or money) to the fight when they can.

If you are not a member and become one please be aware they will send you lots of mailings. I called and told them to stop with the mailings so they could use that money for the good fight. I still send in money once or twice a year and get the e-mail updates.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I'm a Life Member of the NRA

From another state sub-forum where I quoted another member:

"At some point most large lobbying organizations, devolve into cash generating machines that exist to provide jobs to the executives and staffers who run them. However when it comes to the rank and file members, I find most of them are good people who are liberty minded folks."

I replied with this:

http://www.gunguys.com/?p=1061

Most gun owners would be floored to know that the NRA Executive Vice-President makes $633,823 in salary, plus another $258,343 in benefits in 2004 (Gun Guys has obtained the NRA's 990 form from 2004-- to read it, click here). It is possible that his total compensation package from the NRA for 2005 exceeded $1 million (the 2005 tax reports are not yet available).

The point is, it's really about the money...

They (NRA) do not care if we can OC in a Wal-Mart or walk through town with or without further violation of our rights.

Like it or not, wheither we OC, CC or both, we're the minority within the organization. If anything, the NRA caters to FUDD's--the majority; i.e. "Follow the money."

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
if anyone could explain what exactly the NRA does that is a good thing I would definatly be interested in reading.
OK. First you must take a quiz:

1. How many guns are there in the United States now?

kyleplusitunes wrote:
People (certain people) want fully automatic weapons to be distributed without restrictionsor recordation of any kind to all men, women and children, including felons who promise to be good--for free.

NRA has never accomplished this simple goal. They suck! :cuss:

kyleplusitunes wrote:
I'm a young guy, maybe a little misinformed. are my thoughts however not correct?
Youth is a temporary condition and it doesn't last. Ignorance, can be temporary too. But you have to ask questions such as yours not to wallow in ignorance forever. Keep up the good work, young fella. Keep asking questions. And listen to the answers.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

HankT wrote:
kyleplusitunes wrote:
OK. First you must take a quiz:

1. How many guns are there in the United States now?
Before or after the U.S. provided the Mexican Cartel with the "assault weapons?"

recordation of any kind to all men, women and children, including felons who promise to be good--for free.
Sure, every parent who is Pro-2A wants their 5 year old sons and daughters to possess a full-auto AK-47...For show & tell, don't ya know.
Suck what?

kyleplusitunes wrote:
Youth is a temporary condition and it doesn't last. Ignorance, can be temporary too. But you have to ask questions such as yours not to wallow in ignorance forever. Keep up the good work, young fella. Keep asking questions. And listen to the answers. Speaking from experience HkT?
:quirky

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

HankT wrote:
kyleplusitunes wrote:
People (certain people) want fully automatic weapons to be distributed without restrictionsor recordation of any kind to all men, women and children, including felons who promise to be good--for free.

Thats right, and we're rednecks who wear camouflage and overalls every day, drive a perpetually muddy Ford truck, chew wheat grass, are missing at least three teeth, have had intercourse with at least one sibling, and never miss a televised NASCAR event.
Thanks for creating a degenerative stereotype, it really adds to your credibility.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
HankT wrote:
kyleplusitunes wrote:

Thats right, and we're rednecks who wear camouflage and overalls every day, drive a perpetually muddy Ford truck, chew wheat grass, are missing at least three teeth, have had intercourse with at least one sibling, and never miss a televised NASCAR event.
Thanks for creating a degenerative stereotype, it really adds to your credibility.

You're no slouch your own self, EC...

Did you just free style that one or did you work on it for a while?