• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A question from an Indiana resident

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

Hello all,

I am a resident of Indiana with a valid Indiana License To Carry Handgun (aka: LTCH). Indiana and Michigan recognize handgun permits/licenses from the other for purposes of lawful carry. In Indiana, our law does not differentiate between open carry and concealed carry; we are able to carry according to our preference as long as we have a valid LTCH. If I am understanding Michigan law correctly, if a person does not have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License, that person must carry their handgun openly correct?

Being born and raised in Michigan, I still have family and friends there and visit several times a year. My question is this, since I do not have a Michigan CPL, by Michigan law must I carry my handgun openly?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

BGordon42 wrote:
Hello all,

I am a resident of Indiana with a valid Indiana License To Carry Handgun (aka: LTCH). Indiana and Michigan recognize handgun permits/licenses from the other for purposes of lawful carry. In Indiana, our law does not differentiate between open carry and concealed carry; we are able to carry according to our preference as long as we have a valid LTCH. If I am understanding Michigan law correctly, if a person does not have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License, that person must carry their handgun openly correct?

Being born and raised in Michigan, I still have family and friends there and visit several times a year. My question is this, since I do not have a Michigan CPL, by Michigan law must I carry my handgun openly?
No, you can carry concealed or open with a licence issued by your home state. So you are good to with either way in Michigan.

EM87

imported post

BGordon42 wrote:
Hello all,

I am a resident of Indiana with a valid Indiana License To Carry Handgun (aka: LTCH).  Indiana and Michigan recognize handgun permits/licenses from the other for purposes of lawful carry.  In Indiana, our law does not differentiate between open carry and concealed carry; we are able to carry according to our preference as long as we have a valid LTCH.  If I am understanding Michigan law correctly, if a person does not have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License, that person must carry their handgun openly correct?

Being born and raised in Michigan, I still have family and friends there and visit several times a year.  My question is this, since I do not have a Michigan CPL, by Michigan law must I carry my handgun openly?

Check out this link for CPL/LTCH reciprocity.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

I'm not sure what "IN Resident Permit Only" means (referring to the chart you see when you click on Indiana.) I'm not sure if you would have to carry openly.

MI law states that if you are licensed by this state or another to carry a concealed weapon, you are exempt from the restrictions in MCL 750.234d, so at least you don't have to worry about carrying in the areas below.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

EM87

imported post

Venator, maybe you can clear this up for me. What does "IN Res Permit Only" mean in terms of CPL reciprocity? (Referencing my previous post.)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

EM87 wrote:
Venator, maybe you can clear this up for me. What does "IN Res Permit Only" mean in terms of CPL reciprocity? (Referencing my previous post.)
I think that means that Michigan only will recognize a state issued Conceal licence from the state you live in in order to conceal carry. But in order tomerely possess (and OC only)a non-resident could have a permit from another state and that would satisfy our law.

SO If he has an Indiana concealed permit it's good in Michigan and he can OC or CC with it as long as he follows our laws. He can OCbut not CCin the restricted areas where CC is regulated via .234d

He can CC the sameas a Michigan CPL holder can.

autosurgeon

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
As long as you have a permit youre fine. You dont need one to open carry. A gun in a vehicle in MI is considered concealed, but we recognise your permit anyhow.

See also Carry Chart - amended.pdf
However in order to posses a pistol at all in MI you must have some type of permit so with such a permit you would not be able to have the gun with which to OC.