• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1000' from schools

BJG

imported post

I would like to know if the 1000' feet is a strait line or by the road distants ??

[align=left]Penal Code Section 626.9 makes it unlawful to possess a firearm, loaded or unloaded, concealed or not concealed, within[/align]
[align=left]1,000 feet of any public or private school, subject to exceptions when the firearm is being transported. The suspect must know,[/align]
or reasonably should have known that they are within 1,000 feet of the school.

dirtykoala

imported post

BJG wrote:
I would like to know if the 1000' feet is a strait line or by the road distants ??

[align=left]Penal Code Section 626.9 makes it unlawful to possess a firearm, loaded or unloaded, concealed or not concealed, within[/align]

[align=left]1,000 feet of any public or private school, subject to exceptions when the firearm is being transported. The suspect must know,[/align]
or reasonably should have known that they are within 1,000 feet of the school.

welcome to the forums.

im sure a few people will tell you to browse around and read as this question has been covered, so i wont mention it.

its 1000ft "as crows fly" from the edge of the property. so if you goto google maps, type in school, then measure 1000 ft from that location, you will be wrong. to be outside of "victim dissarment zone/ criminal safe area/ GFSZ" you need to be 1000ft or more from the edge of the school property, measured in a straight line.

it doesnt matter if there is a 5 mile high bomb proof maze around the school that will take you 100,000ft of travel to get to the school, it is 1000 straight feet, from the edge of the property.

rosemonter

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:
...im sure a few people will tell you to browse around and read as this question has been covered, so i wont mention it...
I'm sure someone else will quote this for it's profound awesomeness, so I won't quote it.

:lol:

This isn't an organized forum(everything for ca is just lumped into one section), so finding the answers to topics already discussed isn't exactly easy...

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

My last post was an attempt at humor. I was entertained by "dirtykoala" mentioning something, and in the same sentence saying, "so I won't mention it."

Sorry if my failure at comedy caused any confusion.

BJG

imported post

it didn't ,thats ok the only reason i asked about it was because it does not say how thay measure the distance in the code ,Thank You for your anwser.

Poblacht32

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
My last post was an attempt at humor. I was entertained by "dirtykoala" mentioning something, and in the same sentence saying, "so I won't mention it."

Sorry if my failure at comedy caused any confusion.
Hey comedy is good for us! We need a good laugh every now and then!

rosemonter

imported post

okay, lets say you have to walk through a school zone, could you just put it in a lock box and walk with it?

dirtykoala

imported post

rosemonter wrote:
okay, lets say you have to walk through a school zone, could you just put it in a lock box and walk with it?

im sure a few people will tell you to browse around and read as this question has been covered, so i wont mention it.

yes.

rosemonter

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
rosemonter wrote:

yes.

Dirtykoala, this isn't directed at you.

Telling people to browse around a board that isn't organized... well, that's major fail. If the board was organized then, by all means, tell people to read the older posts. However, there is no organization, at all. You're going to push people away with responses like that.

So, yes?
you can just walk with your firearm in a lock box in hand and go through a school zone, legally?
Thank you.

dirtykoala

imported post

rosemonter wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:
rosemonter wrote:

yes.

Telling people to browse around a board that isn't organized... well, that's major fail. If the board was organized then, by all means, tell people to read the older posts. However, there is no organization, at all. You're going to push people away with responses like that.

So, yes?
you can just walk with your firearm in a lock box in hand and go through a school zone, legally?
Thank you.

what are you talking about? responses like what?no one has told anyone in this thread to browse around, and all questions have been answered. further, there is a crappy search function that can be used, and the not crappy californiaopencarry.org

IANAL, but yes, you can walk through a schoolzone with your gun in a locked box. i would suggest a backback or something though, not an obvious gun bag.

rosemonter

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
rosemonter wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:
rosemonter wrote:

yes.

So, yes?
Thank you.

what are you talking about? responses like what? no one has told anyone in this thread to browse around, and all questions have been answered. further, there is a crappy search function that can be used, and the not crappy californiaopencarry.org

IANAL, but yes, you can walk through a schoolzone with your gun in a locked box. i would suggest a backback or something though, not an obvious gun bag.

Like I said, not directed at you.
And, I should have been a little more to the point.
I'm not strictly speaking of this thread. In general, I see that sort of response all over this forum(and just to be specific, the california section) in response to loads of peoples question. Crappy search is fail and, well crappy. Californiaopencarry.org doesn't mention carrying your gun in a locked box on your person, they only refer to transportation via automobile. I really do appreciate your response, and for clearing up that up for me. Also, I could understand someone telling others to search around for the answer to their question if it was an off topic question, don't you?

dirtykoala

imported post

I was being sarcastic. I really don't like when people take the time to post "search the forums!" but not answer the question. If you think it's bad here, go ask a question on calguns. Hahaha.

SurferStevo

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
rosemonter wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:
rosemonter wrote:

yes.

So, yes?
Thank you.

what are you talking about? responses like what?no one has told anyone in this thread to browse around, and all questions have been answered. further, there is a crappy search function that can be used, and the not crappy californiaopencarry.org

I was also wondering about this. I just figured that I'd have to walk to keep my 1k distance (like 1 or 2 blocks away from the edge of school property). But it sounds like things change with a locked backpack or other locked container.
I have also avoided OC'ing around the University (on the public sidewalk) because I worry about (uneducated) people frantically calling 911.

rosemonter

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
I was being sarcastic. I really don't like when people take the time to post "search the forums!" but not answer the question. If you think it's bad here, go ask a question on calguns. Hahaha.

oh, cool, hahaha.
sarcasm doesn't translate very well on teh net.
I'm glad we're on the same page.
=]

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Technically you can only "transport" a firearm in a locked container through a school zone. This is discussed quite thoroughly here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/35290-1.html

As a side note, if you don't want to use the in-forum search, you can always use google and prefix your search with "site:eek:pencarry.mywowbb.com california"

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
As a side note, if you don't want to use the in-forum search, you can always use google and prefix your search with "site:eek:pencarry.mywowbb.com california"
+1

I do this all the time when the built-in search function isn't up to the task.