Thread: Fred Meyer / Kroger Weapon Policy

Post imported post

While I know we have had a letter supporting the right to carry in the stores. I just received a response to a letter I drafted back in November 2008. I had sent them a huge packet of other corporations that allow lawful carry. At the time I don't believe they had a policy. It looks like they do now...

from Merrill, Melinda S <melinda.merrill@fredmeyer.com>
    to "m1gunr@gmail.com" <m1gunr@gmail.com>
    date Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    subject FW: 5853168 Unresolved Customer Issue
    mailed-by fredmeyer.com

Dear Mr. S***,

Our policy on guns in our stores is simply to comply with the law.

We recognize and respect the right to carry a weapon and we are aware that not everyone who has a weapon has a concealed weapon permit. However, we serve all varieties of Customers in our stores – we do not discriminate based on anything – not gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or opinion. So, as I’m sure you are aware, there may be times when an unconcealed weapon is upsetting, particularly to some mothers who are shopping with their children. If you have a concealed weapon permit, we would appreciate it if you would conceal your weapon, but we recognize that you do not have to by law.

Thanks,

Melinda Merrill
    Director, Public Affairs
    503.797.3830 p
    503.797.5609 f
    melinda.merrill@fredmeyer.com
    www.fredmeyer.com

Do you want to get your Oregon Concealed Handgun License? Sheriff Dickerson of Columbia County Oregon will be at the Puyallup WAC show in October. Everything you need to get your Oregon CHL is linked through the website or you can use the information from the website and make an appointment and apply at his office in St Helens, Oregon.
    http://www.washingtongunrights.com/ccso

Post imported post

Wow.. what a non-PSH reply! Thanks, Freddy's!
    Support these forums, please donate if you are able to OpenCarry.Org!

Post imported post

WOW!!...Thats friggin awsome....well done Fred Meyer

Post imported post

SWEET!!! This just reinforces my belief in why Fred Meyer's in Kent (Ease Hill) hasn't ever hassled me. :celebrate
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Post imported post

Fred Meyer in Spokanehas never said a word to me either, I'm in there 3 times a week giveor take.
    Three Percent!

Post imported post

Nice job M1. I've never been hassled in Freddy's. I shop mainly at the Covington store.

MD

Post imported post

Same as the reply I got.

From: Merrill, Melinda S [mailto:melinda.merrill@fredmeyer.com]
    Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 4:27 PM
    To: celticarmory@gmail.com
    Subject: Customer inquiry

Dear Mr. R...,

Thank you for your email.

Our policy on guns in our stores is simply to comply with the law.

We recognize and respect the right to carry a weapon and we are aware that not everyone who has a weapon has a concealed weapon permit. However, we serve all varieties of Customers in our stores – we do not discriminate based on anything – not gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or opinion. So, as I’m sure you are aware, there may be times when an unconcealed weapon is upsetting, particularly to some mothers who are shopping with their children. If you have a concealed weapon permit, we would appreciate it if you would conceal your weapon, but we recognize that you do not have to by law.

Best regards,

Melinda Merrill
    Director, Public Affairs
    503.797.3830 p
    503.797.5609 f
    melinda.merrill@fredmeyer.com
    www.fredmeyer.com

CASE SUMMARY
    REF# 7162545
    Notification Type: Unresolved To Division
    Contact Method: Email Contact
    Date Received: 9/8/2009 12:49:00 AM
    Received By: FM Unresolved Notification
    Additional Case Detail:
    Initial Rep: ch58449

Post imported post

Same as the reply I got.
    Correct, your's is word for word the same as mine. I only reposted because it took them 13 months to respond to me and the fact I sent in training bulletins and lawful carry letters from other corporations to get the ball rolling.
    Do you want to get your Oregon Concealed Handgun License? Sheriff Dickerson of Columbia County Oregon will be at the Puyallup WAC show in October. Everything you need to get your Oregon CHL is linked through the website or you can use the information from the website and make an appointment and apply at his office in St Helens, Oregon.

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    Dear Mr. S***,
    Hey, M1Gunr,

Is your name really a four letter word?

Post imported post

heresolong wrote:
    M1Gunr wrote:
    Dear Mr. S***,
    Hey, M1Gunr,

Is your name really a four letter word?
    Sometimes I truly believe it is.....

Post imported post

About 7:10pm tonight I am leaving the 72nd St Fred Meyer when I am approached as I am leaving the store. I am told by an employee that unless I am law enforcement I will need to leave my weapon in the car.

<me>I said, well that funny... just a few weeks ago I received a letter from Fred Meyer / Kroger corporate that they allowed lawful weapons carry in their stores. My letter writing campaign started over 1 year ago as I sent them corporate letterheads form other company's that also allow lawful carry in their store. I suggest that you get with your store manager and contact corporate on the issue.

<her> :shock:, thank you sir, have a good evening....

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    Haha I can picture the look.

Do these people even consider what they assuming when they're asking you to conceal or leave it in a vehicle?

I'm sure they don't even think of the potentially bad consequences either. How many of you have been recent victims of vehicle prowls? It happens here quite a bit but I don't leave anything of value in my rig so I'm not likely to lose much(other than a title and insurance document). It just doesn't make sense to give a potential slaying that much of a bigger chance.

Banned

Post imported post

Awesome job M1, do you have any letters from REI.

Post imported post

seattleric007 wrote:
    Awesome job M1, do you have any letters from REI.
    I've never had to write one for them. Send me a PM on the issue and I can do something up.

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    About 7:10pm tonight I am leaving the 72nd St Fred Meyer when I am approached as I am leaving the store. I am told by an employee that unless I am law enforcement I will need to leave my weapon in the car.

<me>I said, well that funny... just a few weeks ago I received a letter from Fred Meyer / Kroger corporate that they allowed lawful weapons carry in their stores. My letter writing campaign started over 1 year ago as I sent them corporate letterheads form other company's that also allow lawful carry in their store. I suggest that you get with your store manager and contact corporate on the issue.

Was the employee wearing a "High Visibility" Vest and looked like he also chased carts from the parking lot?

I almost laughed my @$$ off recently when I encountered one of these "mouth breathers". Had the apparent IQ of a cold room and was wearing one of these vests with "SECURITY" across the back.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Richard you reading this? I got some good news for you but it is kind of sad too.
    From my understanding Kroger is buying Haggen's or have bought it already. This means open carry should no longer be a problem for you there.

Sad because I have looked at Haggen's as a local owned grocer for many many years. And I never had a problem carrying there.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

Was the employee wearing a "High Visibility" Vest and looked like he also chased carts from the parking lot?
    Nope, looked like management type to me...

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    Nope, looked like management type to me...

The Fred Meyers on 72nd and pacific has a big belly, tall, slightly balding security person along with a couple others. They wear black slacks and a white dress shirt that is tucked in. OCing at Great Clips there, after about five minutes I saw him walking around the front area. Nobody mentioned anything to me. Not even the personal inside Great Clips.