• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fred Meyer / Kroger Weapon Policy

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

While I know we have had a letter supporting the right to carry in the stores. I just received a response to a letter I drafted back in November 2008. I had sent them a huge packet of other corporations that allow lawful carry. At the time I don't believe they had a policy. It looks like they do now...

from Merrill, Melinda S <melinda.merrill@fredmeyer.com>
to "m1gunr@gmail.com" <m1gunr@gmail.com>
date Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:34 PM
subject FW: 5853168 Unresolved Customer Issue
mailed-by fredmeyer.com

Dear Mr. S***,

Our policy on guns in our stores is simply to comply with the law.

We recognize and respect the right to carry a weapon and we are aware that not everyone who has a weapon has a concealed weapon permit. However, we serve all varieties of Customers in our stores – we do not discriminate based on anything – not gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or opinion. So, as I’m sure you are aware, there may be times when an unconcealed weapon is upsetting, particularly to some mothers who are shopping with their children. If you have a concealed weapon permit, we would appreciate it if you would conceal your weapon, but we recognize that you do not have to by law.

Thanks,

Melinda Merrill
Director, Public Affairs
503.797.3830 p
503.797.5609 f
melinda.merrill@fredmeyer.com
www.fredmeyer.com

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Fred Meyer in Spokanehas never said a word to me either, I'm in there 3 times a week giveor take.

sirpuma

imported post

Same as the reply I got.

From: Merrill, Melinda S [mailto:melinda.merrill@fredmeyer.com]
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 4:27 PM
To: celticarmory@gmail.com
Subject: Customer inquiry

Dear Mr. R...,

Thank you for your email.

Our policy on guns in our stores is simply to comply with the law.

We recognize and respect the right to carry a weapon and we are aware that not everyone who has a weapon has a concealed weapon permit. However, we serve all varieties of Customers in our stores – we do not discriminate based on anything – not gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or opinion. So, as I’m sure you are aware, there may be times when an unconcealed weapon is upsetting, particularly to some mothers who are shopping with their children. If you have a concealed weapon permit, we would appreciate it if you would conceal your weapon, but we recognize that you do not have to by law.

Best regards,

Melinda Merrill
Director, Public Affairs
503.797.3830 p
503.797.5609 f
melinda.merrill@fredmeyer.com
www.fredmeyer.com

[align=center][/align] CASE SUMMARY
REF# 7162545
Notification Type: Unresolved To Division
Contact Method: Email Contact
Date Received: 9/8/2009 12:49:00 AM
Received By: FM Unresolved Notification
Additional Case Detail:
Initial Rep: ch58449

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Same as the reply I got.

Correct, your's is word for word the same as mine. I only reposted because it took them 13 months to respond to me and the fact I sent in training bulletins and lawful carry letters from other corporations to get the ball rolling.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

About 7:10pm tonight I am leaving the 72nd St Fred Meyer when I am approached as I am leaving the store. I am told by an employee that unless I am law enforcement I will need to leave my weapon in the car.

<me>I said, well that funny... just a few weeks ago I received a letter from Fred Meyer / Kroger corporate that they allowed lawful weapons carry in their stores. My letter writing campaign started over 1 year ago as I sent them corporate letterheads form other company's that also allow lawful carry in their store. I suggest that you get with your store manager and contact corporate on the issue.

<her> :shock:, thank you sir, have a good evening....

DaemonForce

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Haha I can picture the look.

Do these people even consider what they assuming when they're asking you to conceal or leave it in a vehicle?

I'm sure they don't even think of the potentially bad consequences either. How many of you have been recent victims of vehicle prowls? It happens here quite a bit but I don't leave anything of value in my rig so I'm not likely to lose much(other than a title and insurance document). It just doesn't make sense to give a potential slaying that much of a bigger chance.

amlevin

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
About 7:10pm tonight I am leaving the 72nd St Fred Meyer when I am approached as I am leaving the store. I am told by an employee that unless I am law enforcement I will need to leave my weapon in the car.

<me>I said, well that funny... just a few weeks ago I received a letter from Fred Meyer / Kroger corporate that they allowed lawful weapons carry in their stores. My letter writing campaign started over 1 year ago as I sent them corporate letterheads form other company's that also allow lawful carry in their store. I suggest that you get with your store manager and contact corporate on the issue.

Was the employee wearing a "High Visibility" Vest and looked like he also chased carts from the parking lot?

I almost laughed my @$$ off recently when I encountered one of these "mouth breathers". Had the apparent IQ of a cold room and was wearing one of these vests with "SECURITY" across the back.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Richard you reading this? I got some good news for you but it is kind of sad too.
From my understanding Kroger is buying Haggen's or have bought it already. This means open carry should no longer be a problem for you there.

Sad because I have looked at Haggen's as a local owned grocer for many many years. And I never had a problem carrying there.

Just Us

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Was the employee wearing a "High Visibility" Vest and looked like he also chased carts from the parking lot?
Nope, looked like management type to me...
The Fred Meyers on 72nd and pacific has a big belly, tall, slightly balding security person along with a couple others. They wear black slacks and a white dress shirt that is tucked in. OCing at Great Clips there, after about five minutes I saw him walking around the front area. Nobody mentioned anything to me. Not even the personal inside Great Clips.