• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'It was no joke at security gate', Daniel Rubin, Inquirer Columnist Philly.com

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/personal-statement

Tsk, Tsk, TSA: A frequent flyer's experience with an airport prank gone badI consider myself an expert traveler at this point in my life. After four years and countless flights commuting between Philadelphia and Ann Arbor, I’ve mastered the art of packing and I can put my shoes on and my laptop back in its case in record time. As winter break ended last week, I decided that despite my unshakable skills as a lone traveler I'd still get to the airport a little earlier, conscious of the inevitable repercussions in the wake of the failed Christmas-day bombing.
Check-in went off without a hitch, and once I reached the front of the security line, I was ready for my usual routine. I took off my coat and sweatshirt and put my scarf and shoes in the bins. I took out my laptop, placing it in a separate container, and sent it down on the conveyer belt.
I was the epitome of compliance and went through the detector without any problems. But as I reached to reclaim my bag, a TSA officer stopped me and wouldn’t return my things.
He informed me that that if I answered him truthfully, I’d be fine. Just be honest, he said. I panicked. Had I accidentally packed shampoo in my carry on? Did I keep my Swiss Army knife on my keys? I had been so careful when packing that I couldn’t imagine what I could have done wrong.
Then he reached into my computer case and pulled out a small baggie of white powder. Before I continue, I’d like to review my thought process as he said the words “where did you get this from?”
My first thought: I left my bag on the floor when I was reaching for my license to show the attendant. A terrorist slipped bomb-detonating powder into my bag. The terrorist wants me to get through security and then once I’m airborne, he’ll find me, reclaim the substance and blow up the plane. I’m going to be responsible for a terrorist attack.
My second thought: This is a bag of drugs. I have just been made part of a drug smuggling ring. Someone saw my open bag, dropped it in and now I’m going to jail.
I immediately told him I had no idea where the bag came from and that I hadn’t left my bags unattended— a cardinal sin in airport security. He let me stutter through an explanation for the longest minute of my life. Tears streamed down my face as I pleaded with him to understand that I’d never seen this baggie before.
But as I emotionally tried to explain that I couldn’t explain, he started to smile, an odd reaction to such a monumental find in my things. Then he waved the baggie at me and told me he was kidding, that I should’ve seen the look on my face.
Really?
As politely as I could, I explained to him how unfunny I thought his prank had been and gathered my things to leave. I was clearly outraged and upset, yet, most of the people around me didn't offer to help me or commented on this completely unprofessional and mean “prank.” Two other TSA officials went about their jobs and a man in front of me walked away after hearing the entire ordeal. Only one woman behind me was as infuriated as me and followed to see if I was okay.
I ran from the line and cried to this stranger who was kind enough to play the role of my interim mother. I had been terrified and disrespected by an airport employee. He’d joked about the least funny thing in air travel, and through my tears I decided to take action.
I asked to speak with the director of security. The supervisor met me at my gate and I explained what I’d just experienced. I identified the employee, who, to my shock, was not immediately removed from the floor, and filled out a complaint form.
While writing my incident report, I was told that the guard who’d done this to me was dressed differently than other TSA employees because his job was to train the staff to detect bombs and other contraband. Here was a man at the forefront of our fight against terror, making a joke about one of the most serious issues facing our country right now.
And that was it. I got on my flight and landed safely in Ann Arbor.
Sure, the airline was apologetic, but instant action wasn’t taken. Two days later I received a call from the airport — only after I had first called them — informing me that disciplinary action had been taken.
As passengers and patrons of airports, we have a lot of responsibility to comply with airline security. Our safety depends directly on how well we follow the rules. This same standard needs to be applied to the staff.
Cooperation is necessary for successful system operation, especially on a scale as large as an airport. In order to cooperate with airlines, I want to believe that they will show me the same respect I show them as I comply with their rules and regulations.
One man's actions aren't enough to tarnish the reputations of the many hardworking airline personnel, but it does open my eyes to how small mistakes can have big consequences.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

rodbender wrote
On the second page

PC 12031(g) **Case law now states the ammunition much be in a positionfrom which it canbe fired. (People v. Clark)

Does this mean that you may have a loaded magazine in the firearm as long as there is not one in the chamber?
No. This exemption is for shotguns with shells located in a side saddle or shell holder on the firearm.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
since9 wrote:
LEOs are held accountable.

FBI officers are held accountable.

CIA agents are held accountable.

Members of the military are held accountable.
Really?
For the most part, yes. those who aren't usually make the news. Thank God for the 1st Amendment! It helps support the 2nd.

Tomahawk

imported post

since9 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
since9 wrote:

Really?
For the most part, yes. those who aren't usually make the news. Thank God for the 1st Amendment! It helps support the 2nd.

That's not credible. This TSA employee was FIRED, which is more than you can say for a cop who goes too far. They just just get a paid vacation until the investigators or the grand juryclears them.

And that has zero to do with the 1st or the 2nd ammendments.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
since9 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
since9 wrote:

Really?

That's not credible. This TSA employee was FIRED, which is more than you can say for a cop who goes too far. They just just get a paid vacation until the investigators or the grand juryclears them.

And that has zero to do with the 1st or the 2nd ammendments.
As they should have been. The news is full of articles about cops getting fired, or even sentenced to jail time for overstepping the line.

I'll agree the investigation usually sides with the cop, and sides against suspected perps, so that's definitely not fair.

My reference to the amendments has to do with how the 1st helps support the 2nd. Without the 1st, we'd have far more violations of the 2nd. News is a powerful tool for keeping the guardians well-guarded in the area of 2A rights, especially when accompanied with video evidence.

Case in point: This summer, a couple of cops assaulted a late-50s man outside a baseball game, slamming his face into the ground, breaking a row of teeth. The cops lied through their teeth and the charges against the man stuck until the video surfaced. At that point, the charges against the man were dropped, and the DA was considering charges against the cops. Prima facia evidence for a civil suit, as well.

So you see, 1A rights very much support 2A rights. If you don't see it, that's fine - you're entitled to your opinion.

Alexcabbie

imported post

I don't know what is worse: The infiltration of terrorists into the country or the omnipresence of IDIOTS like this TSA goofball.

If you have ever read any of Joseph Wambaugh's novels, you know the cops in them were drawn from real life, and mostly they pulled shenannigans on each other except for instance when a couple of them were directing traffic around a fatal accident wherein a woman was decapitated by the windshield. When the umpteenth curious motorist - a woman - asked if "anyone was injured"; the one cop lifted the severed head by the hair and said "Yeah, this one got banged up a little bit" causing the woman to faint, lose control and cause another wreck. In the novel the cop got a reprimand. A reprimand. And Wambaugh was an LAPD detective.

Maybe this zit-faced TSA kid read one too many Wanbaugh novels?....

Tomahawk

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I don't know what is worse: The infiltration of terrorists into the country or the omnipresence of IDIOTS like this TSA goofball.
Given that the former is generally overblown by the latter in order to increase the latter's job security, and given that the latter affects everyone while the former only affects very few, and given that the latter is fed by my tax money whil the former is not, I think that's an easy question to anwer.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote: Given that the former is generally overblown by the latter in order to increase the latter's job security, and given that the latter affects everyone while the former only affects very few, and given that the latter is fed by my tax money whil the former is not, I think that's an easy question to anwer.
If its easy to answer, then answer it. Otherwise its justa lotta given,with no take.

:D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Given that the former is generally overblown by the latter in order to increase the latter's job security, and given that the latter affects everyone while the former only affects very few, and given that the latter is fed by my tax money whil the former is not, I think that's an easy question to anwer.
If its easy to answer, then answer it. Otherwise its justa lotta given,with no take.

:D
And this from an exspurt. :)

Yata hey