• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Neutral experience at Brier Creek Wal-Mart today

glockaholic

imported post

I had a somewhat neutral experience OC'ing at the Brier Creek Wal-Mart today. JDriver1.8t had previously reported some issues with a clerk there who refused to sell ammo to someone with a gun. I wanted to try my luck.

I'm not sure if my guy was the same one or not, but he noticed my gun and reacted thusly... :shock:

Clerk: Is that real?

Me: Yup.

Clerk: That's a real gun?

Me: Yup.

Then he started talking about how he wouldn't sell ammo to anyone with a gun, as he continued walking to the ammo cabinet to unlock it. It became apparent this would be pretty easy. I proceeded with some friendly banter...

Clerk: That's why we keep the ammo locked up...

Me: So people with guns can't get it?

Clerk: Yeah.

Me: I thought it was for shoplifters.

Clerk: Naw, they can just break the glass.

Me: Can't someone carrying a gun do that too?

Clerk: Yeah, that's why we don't sell to people with guns.

Me: :shock:

Clerk: We don't want someone to come in here and load up and go postal.

Me: :banghead:

He got my ammo out and we had more conversation as he rung me up...

Clerk: Why do you carry a gun?

Me: Do you have a fire extinguisher at home?

Clerk: Yeah.

Me: Same idea. You'd rather have one if you needed it, then need one and not have it, right?

Clerk: Well, not a gun. I figure if I can't talk my way out of a situation, I'm a goner anyway.

Me: :banghead:

Clerk: What are you, a police officer?

Me: No, I'm not an officer.

I shook his hand as I left. He was obviously uncomfortable through the whole transaction so I wanted him to know I was just a normal guy like him... one of the good guys. I classify it as a neutral experience because he seemed pretty set on thinking a gun was a silly thing to carry in public, but at least he sold me the ammo without arguing about it.

chiefjason

imported post

I bought 6 boxes of 9mm at Conover WM a few weeks ago. Dealt with 4 employees and none of them made a comment. Gotta love that. OC'ing my G19 at about midnight. Glad they did not threaten to run you outta the store.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

That sounds like the same guy that I dealt with.
When I had ended my encounter there with the manager, I urged him to check over the policies and give the sales person a refresher.
Maybe that actually happened.

Scrub

imported post

acritical wrote:
I see that I may have to go to that Wal-mart the next day it is warm and dry enough to OC.

That is one of the reasons I carry a stainless revolver right now, don't have to be as concerned about weather until I have the CC option in a couple of months. No weather worries for me.