• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and alcohol

gbentzen8

imported post

Hi guys, we all know guns and booze don't mix. BUT (see a big but), when one OC's in Va, what is the legal limit? I hear that with CC the limit is zero, nada, none, zip, i.e., have any (one Lite beer)and get caught ....GO TO JAIL... DO NOT PASS GO......LOSE PERMIT FOR5 YEARS. Now,I know that a person can OC and belly up and have a couple, but is there a legal limit like .08?

Please, do not respond with a sermon about guns and alcohol.....gee, we all get it..no excrement.

WHY is this topic not discussed..........????

curtiswr

imported post

The topic isn't discussed because it's common sense that guns and alcohol don't mix.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

VAopencarry

imported post

What makes you think it hasn't been discussed before?

The 'definition' does not specifically say .08 but that would be a safe place to start. Of course you could be arrested if it was .01 then you would have to fight it in court.

Here's what VA Code says.

Conviction of any of the following offenses shall be prima facie evidence, subject to rebuttal, that the person is "under the influence" for purposes of this section: manslaughter in violation of § 18.2-36.1, maiming in violation of § 18.2-51.4, driving while intoxicated in violation of § 18.2-266, public intoxication in violation of § 18.2-388, or driving while intoxicated in violation of § 46.2-341.24

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

longshot wrote:
Please, do not respond with a sermon about guns and alcohol
If you are not prepared for the answer that you know is coming, then don't ask the question.

As responsible gun owners, when any of us go out in public, we represent each other, like it or not. Having a glass of wine or a light beer really might be ok in reality but the perception is extremely damaging to our "movement as a whole" and most that I have talked to about the subject agree. So.. do us all (or 99.999%) of us a favor. If you want to drink and carry, do it in the privacy of your home.

Ed

nova

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Curtis wrote:
The topic isn't discussed because it's common sense that guns and alcohol don't mix.

And yet, just like drug use or unprotected sex
So...Who's going to get me some hookers and blow for my 21st?

hunter45

imported post

Last time I went goose hunting a guy brought a six pack of beer into the blind. Some people just don't get it. :banghead:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
ed wrote:
Bill in VA wrote:
I frequently have a cold beer to accompany my afternoon of shooting
Publicly bragging about one's stupidity is not very becoming.
Save the insults and the holier-than-thou attitude,Ed. It doesn't make you look any smarter, just obnoxious.

You and I both know thathaving a beerafter chasing jugs around the farm is no more "stupid" than having a glass of wine while out to dinner with your wife and then driving home. And Curtis, thanks for the cookie! I love a good home-made chocolate chip cookie!
I don't think anyone insulted you Bill, but I'm available if you'd like.
+1 Curtis
+1 Ed

Bill, don't hunt around me!

curtiswr

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
ed wrote:
Bill in VA wrote:
Save the insults and the holier-than-thou attitude,Ed. It doesn't make you look any smarter, just obnoxious.

You and I both know thathaving a beerafter chasing jugs around the farm is no more "stupid" than having a glass of wine while out to dinner with your wife and then driving home. And Curtis, thanks for the cookie! I love a good home-made chocolate chip cookie!

Cool story, champ! ;)

(But it wasn't home-made. And it's not chocolate chip. It's store bought and vegan from Ellwood Thompson's. I hope you like carob as much as you like making assumptions!)

If you'd like to brag about having one beer after shooting and try to normalize it good for you... I guess. :uhoh:But I don't see the point of doing it in a thread where the OP is clearly trying to determine the maximum limit to get away with, which if misinterpreted by the OP or others like him could lead to the idea that hey it's okeydokey to drink, carry, and/or shoot. Guess this is another instance of you not understanding what is being said or asked.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Guns and alcohol do not mix - alcohol removes the lubrication.

Alcohol and gun carriers don't mix - lubricates them.

[line]Do you know the test for "under the influence"? You should as it can cost you a lot.

"Under the influence" is whatever someone perceives it to be. If they think you are slurring your words, staggering a little, not alert and have had a drink (not even .02%BOL) you may be arrested, prosecuted and forced to defend a "perception."

Is it worth it? Perception can be 9/10s of the law in this case.

We wish to further RTBA and recognize that we are in a public relations war.
Our OC dinners and such strongly discourage any alcohol - want to attend? Don't drink.

Yata hey

curtiswr

imported post

VAopencarry wrote: Just because I think I'm right doesn't make me self righteous. Making ad hominem attacks and attacking someone's character doesn't take away from the validity of any points said someone makes.

Glock27Bill

imported post

ed wrote:
longshot wrote:
Please, do not respond with a sermon about guns and alcohol
If you are not prepared for the answer that you know is coming, then don't ask the question.

As responsible gun owners, when any of us go out in public, we represent each other, like it or not. Having a glass of wine or a light beer really might be ok in reality but the perception is extremely damaging to our "movement as a whole" and most that I have talked to about the subject agree. So.. do us all (or 99.999%) of us a favor. If you want to drink and carry, do it in the privacy of your home.

Ed
As usual, I agree with Ed.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
ed wrote:
Bill in VA wrote:

Uh, you first said you have a beer to ACCOMPANY your shooting, not AFTER shooting.

I doubt that anyone cares if folks have a beer AFTER shooting, or AFTER driving for that matter.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longshot wrote:
Hi guys, we all know guns and booze don't mix. BUT (see a big but), when one OC's in Va, what is the legal limit? I hear that with CC the limit is zero, nada, none, zip, i.e., have any (one Lite beer)and get caught ....GO TO JAIL... DO NOT PASS GO......LOSE PERMIT FOR5 YEARS. Now,I know that a person can OC and belly up and have a couple, but is there a legal limit like .08?

I don't think there is a specific BAC level that would be illegal if one is carrying a firerarm (OC or CC).

But there should be.

I would propose a state law that would make it unlawful for a gun carrier to have a BAC of .18 % or higher. Penalties would be stiff, including fines, possible incarceration, and immediate prohibition of ability to carry in public until some kind of alcohol/rehab review is completed and treatment recommendation is made.

I would support fully such a law. (As long as it was reasonable regulation allowable under 2A, which I think it would be.)

Common sense really.

The basic model would be based on the currentDUI concepts/laws.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

HankT wrote:
longshot wrote:

I don't think there is a specific BAC level that would be illegal if one is carrying a firerarm (OC or CC).

But there should be.

I would propose a state law that would make it unlawful for a gun carrier to have a BAC of .18 % or higher. Penalties would be stiff, including fines, possible incarceration, and immediate prohibition of ability to carry in public until some kind of alcohol/rehab review is completed and treatment recommendation is made.

I would support fully such a law. (As long as it was reasonable regulation allowable under 2A, which I think it would be.)

Common sense really.

Gunowners in Va can police our own ranks Hank. The last thing we need are more damn laws.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

HankT wrote:
SNIP

But there should be.

Common sense really.

Is that a typo or are you just being sarcastic? 0.18 is almost three timesthe legal limit for DUI.