Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    Greetings All,
    This week i have received in the mail. A PLCF from the state of PA. The process was very easy and a cost of 26 bucks and two stamps. It can be done. good luck

    Correction. This is not a CCW as mentioned!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155

    Post imported post

    A point of order - it's a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms, not a Pennsylvania CCW.

    CCW means the Carrying of Concealed Weapons; the Pa. LTCF only addresses the carrying of a "firearm" (which is either a handgun, a short-barreled rifle, or a short-barreled shotgun (the last two of which also require an ATF tax stamp), but that's a separate issue). Other "weapons" such as knives, swords, etc. are not addressed by a Pa. LTCF.

    A Pa. LTCF permits one to do several things, only one of which is carrying a firearm concealed:
    • It permits you to carry concealed statewide.
    • It permits you to open carry in Philadelphia (in the rest of the Commonwealth no LTCF is needed to open carry).
    • It permits you to borrow someone else's handgun.
    • It permits you to carry during a declared state of emergency.
    • It permits you to carry in a vehicle (bus, train, car, whatever).
    "Carry" means loaded.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    Statkowski wrote:
    A point of order - it's a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms, not a Pennsylvania CCW.

    CCW means the Carrying of Concealed Weapons; the Pa. LTCF only addresses the carrying of a "firearm" (which is either a handgun, a short-barreled rifle, or a short-barreled shotgun (the last two of which also require an ATF tax stamp), but that's a separate issue). Other "weapons" such as knives, swords, etc. are not addressed by a Pa. LTCF.

    A Pa. LTCF permits one to do several things, only one of which is carrying a firearm concealed:
    • It permits you to carry concealed statewide.
    • It permits you to open carry in Philadelphia (in the rest of the Commonwealth no LTCF is needed to open carry).
    • It permits you to borrow someone else's handgun.
    • It permits you to carry during a declared state of emergency.
    • It permits you to carry in a vehicle (bus, train, car, whatever).
    "Carry" means loaded.

    Thank you very much for those clarifications. however its somewhat confusing in the first statement. Please clarify for those of us who are not as well versed.

    Are you stating the LTCF does NOT alllow me to conceal carry in pa or are you saying this allows me to conceal carry in pa inaddition to the other privaliges you mentioned. thanks

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155

    Post imported post

    A Pa. LTCF allows you to carry a concealed firearm throughout the Commonwealth in addition to all the other stuff. Since it has nothing to do with knives or other weapons, it is not a CCW.

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    Statkowski wrote:
    it is not a CCW.
    I really think we should stop using the term CCW as short hand for a permit to conceal - presumably it means Concealed Carry Weapon - that is not a eprmit.

    Gun rights organizers shold speak in clear English and not using some secret code ofa secret order - our target for communication is the general public which mildly supports gun rights in theory, but does not really get it in practice because tey do not understand what we are talking about.



  6. #6
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    Statkowski wrote:
    it is not a CCW.
    I really think we should stop using the term CCW as short hand for a permit to conceal - presumably it means Concealed Carry Weapon - that is not a eprmit.

    Gun rights organizers shold speak in clear English and not using some secret code ofa secret order - our target for communication is the general public which mildly supports gun rights in theory, but does not really get it in practice because tey do not understand what we are talking about.

    CCW is actually the opposite of what people think it is. Most assume that a CCW is a permit to allow them to carry concealed. CCW actuallystands for"Carrying a concealed weapon" - a crime.

    For example - "The suspect was charged with Armed Robbery and CCW and is in jail awaiting trial". CCW is a weapon violation, not a permission to carry or the permit/document itself.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    CCW is actually the opposite of what people think it is. Most assume that a CCW is a permit to allow them to carry concealed. CCW actuallystands for"Carrying a concealed weapon" - a crime.

    For example - "The suspect was charged with Armed Robbery and CCW and is in jail awaiting trial". CCW is a weapon violation, not a permission to carry or the permit/document itself.
    Hmm, good point!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •