• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms

glock culture

imported post

Greetings All,
This week i have received in the mail. A PLCF from the state of PA. The process was very easy and a cost of 26 bucks and two stamps. It can be done. good luck

Correction. This is not a CCW as mentioned!

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

A point of order - it's a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms, not a Pennsylvania CCW.

CCW means the Carrying of Concealed Weapons; the Pa. LTCF only addresses the carrying of a "firearm" (which is either a handgun, a short-barreled rifle, or a short-barreled shotgun (the last two of which also require an ATF tax stamp), but that's a separate issue). Other "weapons" such as knives, swords, etc. are not addressed by a Pa. LTCF.

A Pa. LTCF permits one to do several things, only one of which is carrying a firearm concealed:
  • It permits you to carry concealed statewide.
  • It permits you to open carry in Philadelphia (in the rest of the Commonwealth no LTCF is needed to open carry).
  • It permits you to borrow someone else's handgun.
  • It permits you to carry during a declared state of emergency.
  • It permits you to carry in a vehicle (bus, train, car, whatever).
"Carry" means loaded.

glock culture

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
A point of order - it's a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms, not a Pennsylvania CCW.

CCW means the Carrying of Concealed Weapons; the Pa. LTCF only addresses the carrying of a "firearm" (which is either a handgun, a short-barreled rifle, or a short-barreled shotgun (the last two of which also require an ATF tax stamp), but that's a separate issue). Other "weapons" such as knives, swords, etc. are not addressed by a Pa. LTCF.

A Pa. LTCF permits one to do several things, only one of which is carrying a firearm concealed:
  • It permits you to carry concealed statewide.
  • It permits you to open carry in Philadelphia (in the rest of the Commonwealth no LTCF is needed to open carry).
  • It permits you to borrow someone else's handgun.
  • It permits you to carry during a declared state of emergency.
  • It permits you to carry in a vehicle (bus, train, car, whatever).
"Carry" means loaded.

Thank you very much for those clarifications. however its somewhat confusing in the first statement. Please clarify for those of us who are not as well versed.

Are you stating the LTCF does NOT alllow me to conceal carry in pa or are you saying this allows me to conceal carry in pa inaddition to the other privaliges you mentioned. thanks

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
it is not a CCW.
I really think we should stop using the term CCW as short hand for a permit to conceal - presumably it means Concealed Carry Weapon - that is not a eprmit.

Gun rights organizers shold speak in clear English and not using some secret code ofa secret order - our target for communication is the general public which mildly supports gun rights in theory, but does not really get it in practice because tey do not understand what we are talking about.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Mike wrote:
Statkowski wrote:
it is not a CCW.
I really think we should stop using the term CCW as short hand for a permit to conceal - presumably it means Concealed Carry Weapon - that is not a eprmit.

Gun rights organizers shold speak in clear English and not using some secret code ofa secret order - our target for communication is the general public which mildly supports gun rights in theory, but does not really get it in practice because tey do not understand what we are talking about.

CCW is actually the opposite of what people think it is. Most assume that a CCW is a permit to allow them to carry concealed. CCW actuallystands for"Carrying a concealed weapon" - a crime.

For example - "The suspect was charged with Armed Robbery and CCW and is in jail awaiting trial". CCW is a weapon violation, not a permission to carry or the permit/document itself.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
CCW is actually the opposite of what people think it is. Most assume that a CCW is a permit to allow them to carry concealed. CCW actuallystands for"Carrying a concealed weapon" - a crime.

For example - "The suspect was charged with Armed Robbery and CCW and is in jail awaiting trial". CCW is a weapon violation, not a permission to carry or the permit/document itself.
Hmm, good point!