Thread: Latest Contra Costa Times Article

Post imported post

Post imported post

I was hoping for a little more positive story.... seems a little downing on us open carry folks.

Post imported post

brad9point0 wrote:
    I was hoping for a little more positive story.... seems a little downing on us open carry folks.
    I feel the same way.

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar

Post imported post

This whole Bay Area Insider / Contra Costa Times / Oakland Tribune / Bay Area News Group thing is confusing. They are all the same company, but maybe have different staff? Because there was this article:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_14121268

which seems to be related to the video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whlci8a5qWU ) which was very balanced.

Post imported post

MudCamper wrote:
    This whole Bay Area Insider / Contra Costa Times / Oakland Tribune / Bay Area News Group thing is confusing. They are all the same company, but maybe have different staff? Because there was this article:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_14121268

which seems to be related to the video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whlci8a5qWU ) which was very balanced.
    MudCamper,

I attended both events. The article linked in your post covered a Livermore meetup at the beginning of the month. The video and the latest article covered a meetup in San Ramon:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/california/ci_14241180

Post imported post

I was a bit disappointed with this article. The video of interaction with residents inSan Ramon makes the viewerbelieve that the outing was positive. The article, on the other hand, makes it sound like people were running for their lives.

I too, was there and I have to say that it was a mixed reaction (as always) about 50% supportive, 20% disagree, and 30% fail to notice or don't care.

Post imported post

anyone have more on this?
    In Santa Clara County, 74-year-old Sherman "Tony" Fontano was charged with a misdemeanor for carrying an unloaded gun within 1,000 feet of a school in December, according to Nick Muyo of the District Attorney's Office.

The San Jose resident told Bay Area News Group that he did so after hearing about the Open Carry movement and getting assurance from police that he could legally carry an unloaded gun. Fontano, who is scheduled to be arraigned today, said police did not warn him about the school restriction.

Post imported post

Freedom_Is_Popular wrote:
    I was a bit disappointed with this article. The video of interaction with residents inSan Ramon makes the viewerbelieve that the outing was positive. The article, on the other hand, makes it sound like people were running for their lives.

I too, was there and I have to say that it was a mixed reaction (as always) about 50% supportive, 20% disagree, and 30% fail to notice or don't care.
    The liberal media is a perfect example of, don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see.

Post imported post

My take,

50% Negative points
    40% Positive points
    10% Incorrect points

Not really a "negative piece", but we should not expect a "puff-piece" either from any media outlet on the subject. I agree with other posts that the video seemed to be a good compilation of the events in San Ramon. The DA representative interviewed, in my opinion, should be removed from public service. Again, JUST my opinion - not a call to action.

Carefully read through again (after talking a needed deep breath). I think you might come up with a similar analysis.

Of course, the "Brady Bunch" can always be counted on for making regular Anti-Gun, Anti-Constitution, & Anti-Personal Freedom statements. I don't have a problem with the Brady's stating their opinions (as wrong as they are). However, when their opinions turn into actions that seek to remove MY RIGHTS, and the rights of my fellow Americans to protect ourselves, they go to a point beyond any and all reason.

You all take care out there. See you in Walnut Creek!

Carry On,

Livermoron

Post imported post

All anti comments on the San Jose Mercury news forums right now.

http://forums.mercurynews.com/topic/...source=article

Post imported post

Just read the srticle in my Contra Costa Times newspaper. I was hoping that they would have put information on how to contact you guys, but Google is my friend and I found the site. I am glad to see this! Looking forward to doing what I can do to help with OC.

Jason

Post imported post

Morning one and all!

After seeing the newspaper this morning I decided it was time to stop lurking and contribute. While I don't own a handgun (so no oc for me), I am a firm believer in the 2A. The work done here is refreshing to see. There is hope for the Constitution. This year I am working to be politically informed. My rights have been squashed, oppressed, whittled and outright violated. I say no more! I will be teaching my children the importance of voting. I will be standing up for the my rights like the rest of you good people have without even knowing me.

If any one doubts I am legit and not LE, pm me or send an email- amvfield@yahoo.com.

Thank you Adam

Post imported post

Homework assignment for new guys....

Read everything linked in this post: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/36464.html

Then come ask questions about anything that isn't clear.

Post imported post

Welcome SWDF 1934 and eastcoast!

And eastcoast, we welcome everyone. We have a few LEO members as well. The "us vs them" mentality between LEO and armed citizens is something we hope to correct.

Post imported post

I totally do not have a "us v them" view. Well maybe a little.

I just wanted to introduce myself properly and let you guys know where I come from. I have LE in the family and understand some of their concerns. BUT I care greatly about my freedom and rights.

Post imported post

eastcoast wrote:
    I totally do not have a "us v them" view. Well maybe a little.
    I didn't mean to imply that you did. My apologies. The fact of the matter is, that the attitude does exist, and it is quite prevalent, on both sides. But that is something we hope to correct.

Post imported post

No apologies necessary. Unlike some I can take what is dished out, just my Jersey upbringing.

Post imported post

Thanks for welcoming. I've tried going through and reading and downloading what I can to be more knowledgeable. I work at a hospital. My hospital is right around the corner from the 2nd Walgreens that was robbed Wednesday morning. This was after a CHP officer was shot at the 1st Walgreens that was robbed. I usually get off at 7a.m. (which is the approximate time it was robbed) and I will stop there after work. What if I had been, and had been there with my UOC, could I have helped deter that robbery? Just thunking out loud.

Jason

Post imported post

I was very interested to see what ADA Pitt had to say:

Although a law enforcement officer who sees someone openly carrying a gun may stop that person to make sure the weapon is unloaded, the officer's rights to investigate further become problematic, San Mateo County assistant district attorney Morley Pitt said.

"If the gun's not loaded, you can't make the person carrying it show you any ID, so there's no way of knowing if this person might be on probation or parole, or if they have warrants out on them. You can't check the serial number of the gun, so you don't know if it's been stolen," he said.

Banned

Post imported post

I think you guys are doing a great job. I thought the article was fair and balanced, maybe tipped alittle towards you guys. The on looker at the end said it best, I would want to be thier friend. I lived down there for 37 years. I love living up here in seattle, I open carry everywhere. Some people react different than others.

But I will tell you this, there poor people in the projects that want their gun rights too. I suggest you reach out to all people of color and get them in your group. The more that do it, the more it is accepted. Reach out to all people and persuade them to come to one of your meets. Maybe I can come to one of your meets in Mid March when I am down there.

Keep up the good work. Together we can beat the anti gunners even in the bay area.

Post imported post

Janis interviewed me for nearly an hour over the phone. She is on our side.

Post imported post

seattleric007 wrote:
    I think you guys are doing a great job. I thought the article was fair and balanced, maybe tipped alittle towards you guys. The on looker at the end said it best, I would want to be thier friend. I lived down there for 37 years. I love living up here in seattle, I open carry everywhere. Some people react different than others.

But I will tell you this, there poor people in the projects that want their gun rights too. I suggest you reach out to all people of color and get them in your group. The more that do it, the more it is accepted. Reach out to all people and persuade them to come to one of your meets. Maybe I can come to one of your meets in Mid March when I am down there.

Keep up the good work. Together we can beat the anti gunners even in the bay area.

I miss Whidbey Island soooo much I actually have a WA CCW but did not know about OC until I moved down here. 5 more years till we move back and have freedom again.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

Banned

Post imported post

we miss you chewy352, we have anti gunners from seattle starting **** up here. Big meeting in Olympia tuesday over new legislation on assault weapons, going to be a big fight maybe. I'll keep you guys posted. Check out our state board if you have time. I love washington, I love open carry of a loaded firearm and my ccw.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Great article overall... but lots of little errors (and a couple big ones).

For the sake of brevity I won't post a copy of my letter here. I'll just say that I tried to thank them profusely for their help bringing this civil right issue to light, and then gave them a 2-page critique to try to help them correct their mistakes.

I think I found 10 in all that I pointed out... If/when I get a response perhaps I'll post everything here.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.