Thread: Semi-Concealed

Post imported post

A colleague and I had a disagreement over what say he says may be illegal: If you are carrying concealed, being a CHP holder, and someone inadverdently spots your weapon, or your cover rides up and it becomes half-visible,can you be fined or worse? I say no, since Virginia is an open carry Gold Star state and OC is perfectly legal. I do have a CHP, but I also OC quite often. Any input would be helpful.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Panther 308 wrote:
    A colleague and I had a disagreement over what say he says may be illegal: If you are carrying concealed, being a CHP holder, and someone inadverdently spots your weapon, or your cover rides up and it becomes half-visible,can you be fined or worse? I say no, since Virginia is an open carry Gold Star state and OC is perfectly legal. I do have a CHP, but I also OC quite often. Any input would be helpful.
    Welcome to OCDO Panther.

A CHP in Virginia gives you permission to legally conceal your gun - not require that it be concealed.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

Perhaps your friend has read of other states like Florida where concealed means concealed required, printing is even illegal.

Virginia has no law/statute making OC illegal; therefore, OC is legal, even without a CHP.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Thanks for the clarification! I am glad to be a part of this community! You can learn a lot information here! JC

Post imported post

Same in Kentucky. With permit, don't worry if you print or expose. Gold star state.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Panther 308 wrote:
    Thanks for the clarification! I am glad to be a part of this community! You can learn a lot information here! JC
    There is a wealth of information on this site. I have learned more about the carrying of a defensive firearm, and the laws involved in its use, over the past (nearly) three years than I have the last forty years. In part because it has opened my eyes to other sources of information I had never considered, as well. A lot of really knowledgeable people call this site home.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Panther 308 wrote:
    There is a wealth of information on this site. I have learned more about the carrying of a defensive firearm, and the laws involved in its use, over the past (nearly) three years than I have the last forty years. In part because it has opened my eyes to other sources of information I had never considered, as well. A lot of really knowledgeable people call this site home.
    There are the occasional few that try to be disagreeable - every site has them - but we either educate them, ignore them or move them out as warranted.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned

Post imported post

dont forget to add your location to your profile

Welcome

Post imported post

Will do! Thanks!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Same goes for Tennessee, if you happen to venture our way. Permit required to CC and OC here. Carry either way.

Post imported post

Maine is an OC state as well, but some areas are more hostile to visible firearms than other. Oklahoma is a no-show state though

Post imported post

hightecrebel wrote:
    Maine is an OC state as well, but some areas are more hostile to visible firearms than other. Oklahoma is a no-show state though
    Just watch the laws of the state. I work in OK but live in MO. So no printing in OK. If your state is an OC state it shouldnt be a problem.

Post imported post

Panther,

The state to your south--NC--is also an OC "Gold Star" state, so if your concealed firearm should inadvertently print or become exposed, it's OK. We have no "requirement" for concealment in our CC statutes, and "printing" isn't even addressed in the law.

The only problem with inadvertent exposure is that it may result in a "Man With A Gun" phone call to the local police, who are then obligated to investigate.

The best thing to do, if you're going to CC, is to dress appropriately, and get an appropriate holster, so you don't have an inadvertent exposure, and printing is minimal. This time of year, this is pretty simple--heavy coats, bulky sweaters, and flannel shirts make CC much easier.

In the summer months, when multiple layers and bulky or long shirts/jackets aren't practical, CC requires a LOT more planning. You need a good "deep cover" holster, and maybe a smaller firearm.

Although, all that said, I've CC'd a full-size Para Ordnance double-stack 1911 in the summer with minimal printing, and never had any issues...

I've started frequenting the local Goodwill stores and consignment shops to augment my wardrobe with CC-specific clothing. I'v got a few pair of slacks that are 2" bigger in the waist (for my IWB holster) and a few extra shirts (loud "Hawaiian" shirts and some heavy-weave, but breathable cotton ones) for covering up when I carry IWB concealed. I figure, why pay full price for clothes I'm not going to use very often? Especially when I'm OCing most of the time when the weather is warm, anyway...

But I'll re-state what several other members have already said--State laws vary, so know the law in any particular state where you may be travelling. For instance, FL and SC do NOT allow OC, but DO allow CC, so you need to be more careful there than in states like VA, NC, WV, or PA.

And of course, MD and DC are an entirely different matter--they don't allow carry at all, unless you are one of the "anointed few"...

VA, NC, PA, WV--Shall Issue.
    NJ, NY, CT--May Issue.
    MD, DC--Have Issues...

Good luck!

It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964