• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Semi-Concealed

Panther 308

imported post

A colleague and I had a disagreement over what say he says may be illegal: If you are carrying concealed, being a CHP holder, and someone inadverdently spots your weapon, or your cover rides up and it becomes half-visible,can you be fined or worse? I say no, since Virginia is an open carry Gold Star state and OC is perfectly legal. I do have a CHP, but I also OC quite often. Any input would be helpful.:exclaim:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Panther 308 wrote:
A colleague and I had a disagreement over what say he says may be illegal: If you are carrying concealed, being a CHP holder, and someone inadverdently spots your weapon, or your cover rides up and it becomes half-visible,can you be fined or worse? I say no, since Virginia is an open carry Gold Star state and OC is perfectly legal. I do have a CHP, but I also OC quite often. Any input would be helpful.:exclaim:
Welcome to OCDO Panther.

A CHP in Virginia gives you permission to legally conceal your gun - not require that it be concealed.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Perhaps your friend has read of other states like Florida where concealed means concealed required, printing is even illegal.

Virginia has no law/statute making OC illegal; therefore, OC is legal, even without a CHP.

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Panther 308 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification! I am glad to be a part of this community! You can learn a lot information here! JC
There is a wealth of information on this site. I have learned more about the carrying of a defensive firearm, and the laws involved in its use, over the past (nearly) three years than I have the last forty years. In part because it has opened my eyes to other sources of information I had never considered, as well. A lot of really knowledgeable people call this site home.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Panther 308 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification! I am glad to be a part of this community! You can learn a lot information here! JC
There is a wealth of information on this site. I have learned more about the carrying of a defensive firearm, and the laws involved in its use, over the past (nearly) three years than I have the last forty years. In part because it has opened my eyes to other sources of information I had never considered, as well. A lot of really knowledgeable people call this site home.
There are the occasional few that try to be disagreeable - every site has them - but we either educate them, ignore them or move them out as warranted.

Yata hey

hightecrebel

imported post

Maine is an OC state as well, but some areas are more hostile to visible firearms than other. Oklahoma is a no-show state though

Sjames

imported post

hightecrebel wrote:
Maine is an OC state as well, but some areas are more hostile to visible firearms than other. Oklahoma is a no-show state though

Just watch the laws of the state. I work in OK but live in MO. So no printing in OK. If your state is an OC state it shouldnt be a problem.

Dreamer

imported post

Panther,

The state to your south--NC--is also an OC "Gold Star" state, so if your concealed firearm should inadvertently print or become exposed, it's OK. We have no "requirement" for concealment in our CC statutes, and "printing" isn't even addressed in the law.

The only problem with inadvertent exposure is that it may result in a "Man With A Gun" phone call to the local police, who are then obligated to investigate.

The best thing to do, if you're going to CC, is to dress appropriately, and get an appropriate holster, so you don't have an inadvertent exposure, and printing is minimal. This time of year, this is pretty simple--heavy coats, bulky sweaters, and flannel shirts make CC much easier.

In the summer months, when multiple layers and bulky or long shirts/jackets aren't practical, CC requires a LOT more planning. You need a good "deep cover" holster, and maybe a smaller firearm.

Although, all that said, I've CC'd a full-size Para Ordnance double-stack 1911 in the summer with minimal printing, and never had any issues...

I've started frequenting the local Goodwill stores and consignment shops to augment my wardrobe with CC-specific clothing. I'v got a few pair of slacks that are 2" bigger in the waist (for my IWB holster) and a few extra shirts (loud "Hawaiian" shirts and some heavy-weave, but breathable cotton ones) for covering up when I carry IWB concealed. I figure, why pay full price for clothes I'm not going to use very often? Especially when I'm OCing most of the time when the weather is warm, anyway...

But I'll re-state what several other members have already said--State laws vary, so know the law in any particular state where you may be travelling. For instance, FL and SC do NOT allow OC, but DO allow CC, so you need to be more careful there than in states like VA, NC, WV, or PA.

And of course, MD and DC are an entirely different matter--they don't allow carry at all, unless you are one of the "anointed few"...

VA, NC, PA, WV--Shall Issue.
NJ, NY, CT--May Issue.
MD, DC--Have Issues... ;)

Good luck!