• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GA's Militia, Police & Public Safety Committee

paramedic70002

imported post

What "Militia" issues are covered by the Militia, Police and Public Safety Committee?

Does the General Assembly support the notion of a Citizen's Militia or is this a term used to mean National Guard?

Curiosity is getting the better of me!

coondog22554

imported post

Virginia like many states have state militia's also called State Defense Forces who are under the control of the govenor. Unlike state National Guard units, SDF units are not subject to Federal call up. They support the VA National Guard and "backfill" the Guard units when needed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

coondog22554 wrote:
Virginia like many states have state militia's also called State Defense Forces who are under the control of the govenor. Unlike state National Guard units, SDF units are not subject to Federal call up. They support the VA National Guard and "backfill" the Guard units when needed.
vadef.jpg

GQflyboy

imported post

peter nap wrote:
coondog22554 wrote:
Virginia like many states have state militia's also called State Defense Forces who are under the control of the govenor.  Unlike state National Guard units, SDF units are not subject to Federal call up.  They support the VA National Guard and "backfill" the Guard units when needed.

vadef.jpg

One question...

ARE THEY HIRING????

Armed

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
What "Militia" issues are covered by the Militia, Police and Public Safety Committee?

The committees are named according to what legislative issues they are intended to deal with. So in this case, any proposed legislation that would impact military, law-enforcement, or public safety in general will be heard and considered in this committee first.

A bill has to pass it's assigned committee before it can be considered on the floor for a vote.

wylde007

imported post

coondog22554 wrote:
Virginia, like many states, has a state militia also called State Defense Forces who are under the control of the govenor. Unlike state National Guard units, SDF units are not subject to Federal call up. They support the VA National Guard and "backfill" the Guard units when needed.
They are also generally unarmed and exercises, unless in emergency response, are unpaid.

The SDF is a militia-esque force from an organizational standpoint, but they are not trained or versed in combat or squad tactics.

The "National Guard" is not a militia unit. It is a reserve training organization for the federal standing army. It was nationalized by the Militia act of 1903.

Yes, the SDF serves only the interests of the state under the governor. That's how the Guard should operate, but the feds needed more men to send on imperial expeditions all over the world and the best way to do that was to pillage state resources.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
coondog22554 wrote:
Virginia, like many states, has a state militia also called State Defense Forces who are under the control of the govenor. Unlike state National Guard units, SDF units are not subject to Federal call up. They support the VA National Guard and "backfill" the Guard units when needed.
They are also generally unarmed and exercises, unless in emergency response, are unpaid.

The SDF is a militia-esque force from an organizational standpoint, but they are not trained or versed in combat or squad tactics.

The "National Guard" is not a militia unit. It is a reserve training organization for the federal standing army. It was nationalized by the Militia act of 1903.

Yes, the SDF serves only the interests of the state under the governor. That's how the Guard should operate, but the feds needed more men to send on imperial expeditions all over the world and the best way to do that was to pillage state resources.
It seems a lot like the Civil Air Patrol was when I was in it.

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Which would have had you involved mostly in Search & Rescue, supply logistics and emergency transportation, right?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Which would have had you involved mostly in Search & Rescue, supply logistics and emergency transportation, right?
Mostly.
We had to do a lot of gopher work at air shows also. I was interested in the S&R more than anything else. I grew up in the mountains and that seemed to be where most of the missing aircraft ended up.

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I grew up in the mountains and that seemed to be where most of the missing aircraft ended up.
I can imagine.

Either crashed into a mountainside or splashed into the ocean.

Better chance of finding it on the mountain, I guess. Small consolation.:(