• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1604 Suppressor Legalization

kschmadeka

imported post

HB 1604 would legalize use of suppressorsfor everyone, not just law enforcement. It has one little bug with the language, as it requires thatthe suppressor be federally registered, which would conflict with the Firearms Freedom Act, which nullifies registration requirements for suppressors made in-state. Thesponsor Cary Condotta has told me though that he's open to fixing that, and it could be amended after a hearing. The sponsors are:

condotta.cary@leg.wa.gov, kretz.joel@leg.wa.gov, crouse.larry@leg.wa.gov, ross.charles@leg.wa.gov, armstrong.mike@leg.wa.gov, upthegrove.dave@leg.wa.gov,

It currently sits in House Judiciary, where Condotta tells me that chair Jamie Pedersen is not planning to hear it. So, we should contact him and the rest of thejudiciary about that now. The judiciary emails are:

"House Judiciary":pedersen.jamie@leg.wa.gov, goodman.roger@leg.wa.gov, rodne.jay@leg.wa.gov, shea.matt@leg.wa.gov, flannigan.dennis@leg.wa.gov, kelley.troy@leg.wa.gov, kirby.steve@leg.wa.gov, ormsby.timm@leg.wa.gov, roberts.maryhelen@leg.wa.gov, ross.charles@leg.wa.gov, warnick.judy@leg.wa.gov

NOTE: This is OC relevant because if enacted, you could open carry your suppressed pistol, which would be way cool. Or alternatively, you could carry your suppressor in your hip pocket, and when confronted with criminal attack, draw your weapon and dramatically thread on the suppressor with a slowly-widening sadistic grin. :cool:

When writing though, I suggest using arguments more along the line of protecting hearing and reducing noise complaints...

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/BillInfo/summary.aspx?bill=1604&year=2009

dj_fatstyles

imported post

i sent a letter to all 144 reps last week about this. ive gotten a couple of replies but those were from the sponsors of the bill. i plan to "bug" them every two weeks about this until it gets noticed.

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

Best of my knowledge you can already own a Suppressor in WA.

We can have them we just cannot shoot a firearm with one. That does not make sense but whatever.

So as long as I do not shoot the firearm with the suppressor on then I see no reason why I cannot have it on the firearm, Aside from common sense. Having a legally owned loaded gun that I can not legally shoot sucks.

Batousaii

imported post

Glocked and Loaded wrote:
Best of my knowledge you can already own a Suppressor in WA.

We can have them we just cannot shoot a firearm with one. That does not make sense but whatever.

So as long as I do not shoot the firearm with the suppressor on then I see no reason why I cannot have it on the firearm, Aside from common sense. Having a legally owned loaded gun that I can not legally shoot sucks.

Correct - However, this new phrase in the R.C.W. would allow us to use them if we have legally purchased or own one.

[align=left](c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm, unless the suppressor is legally registered and possessed in accordance with federal law, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
[/align]
[align=left]:celebrateI hope it passes.

[/align]
[align=left]~ Bat[/align]
[align=left]P.S. As to our "freedom Act" - i support it, but it is weak and needs to be a lil-tougher on the language... Re: Select fire weapons and suppressors.[/align]

kschmadeka

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
How much time do we to pester them?
First cut-off is Feb.5th, which means a hearing would have to be scheduled duringthis comingweek, forduring the firstweek of Februaryat the latest. Jamie Pedersen is the one who needs to hear from us the most, but I also write to the whole committee so they can bugthe chair about ittoo. You can also call and leave Rep. Pedersen a message at 360 786-7826.