• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If SHTF, what would you rather have?

YoZUpZ

imported post

So today I was just thinking about the price of good HPJs vs FMJ Range ammo The Golden Sabers I carry are about $1.25 each whereas range ammo is about $0.30 each, so my question is, Say if SHTF and the economy went downhill or some Gun/Ammo ban came out and you weren't able to get ahold of ammo easily or at all, what would you rather have, 300 rounds of your best defensive rounds or 50 of those rounds and 1000 rounds of cheap FMJ range rounds?

45acpForMe

imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
So today I was just thinking about the price of good HPJs vs FMJ Range ammo The Golden Sabers I carry are about $1.25 each whereas range ammo is about $0.30 each, so my question is, Say if SHTF and the economy went downhill or some Gun/Ammo ban came out and you weren't able to get ahold of ammo easily or at all, what would you rather have, 300 rounds of your best defensive rounds or 50 of those rounds and 1000 rounds of cheap FMJ range rounds?
I would rather have the 1000 rounds. My gun doesn't work that well when I run out of ammo!

If the shit hits the fan, HP will be used in my pistols for upclose and personal defenseand ball ammo in my carbines. I figure longer distance shooting will be easier to miss so I will need more rounds. Of course 1000 rounds of both would be better.

One other thing to think about is ammo may be one of the new currencies so having "more" to trade for things like food will help survival. There is an old saying, which would you rather have to pull your wagon over the mountains, 1000 chickens or 2 oxen? The oxen may work better if there are no problems but you can always eat one of the chickens if you have to. If you eat one of the oxen you ain't going no where. So planning to have an excess is a good thing.

donsk

imported post

In my opinion, if it is a real SHTF scenario, having quantity is the better idea for two reasons:
1. Quantity of rounds in a true SHTF scenario will be important
2. FMJ rounds are still plenty deadly- some carry only FMJ rounds (although, not cheap range rounds) - sometimes people act like only those super specialty rounds will kill a person - thats simply NOT true.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
50 rounds of the defensive and 1000 rounds of cheap FMJ. I wouldn't really call them range rounds. They're great for that, but they'll kill just fine. Even if the option was only for 1000 rounds, I'll still take it. When SHTF, I am not so concerned about over-penetration.

scorpio_vette

imported post

think of it this way

1) they didn't always have HPJ's, but plenty people still got killed.

2) a FMJ is EQUALLY as fatal if placed in the right spot. so improve your aim. LOL

3) 1,000 rounds would be better. because even if you only hit every 2nd round, that's still 500hits. but if you only had 500rounds and only hit every 2nd, then that's only 250hits.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
...Say if SHTF and the economy went downhill or some Gun/Ammo ban came out and you weren't able to get ahold of ammo easily or at all, what would you rather have, 300 rounds of your best defensive rounds or 50 of those rounds and 1000 rounds of cheap FMJ range rounds?
Interesting question, Yo.

Depends if I would be stayingput in one place or if I'm on the move.

If staying put, I'll take the 1,050 rounds (and my carbine).

If on the move, I'd take the 300 JHP (and my handgun and my carbine).

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
YoZUpZ wrote:
...Say if SHTF and the economy went downhill or some Gun/Ammo ban came out and you weren't able to get ahold of ammo easily or at all, what would you rather have, 300 rounds of your best defensive rounds or 50 of those rounds and 1000 rounds of cheap FMJ range rounds?
Interesting question, Yo.

Depends if I would be stayingput in one place or if I'm on the move.

If staying put, I'll take the 1,050 rounds (and my carbine).

If on the move, I'd take the 300 JHP (and my handgun and my carbine).
I would want the higher number of rounds for any situation.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
It's really easy to file the ends offFMJ andmake your own "hollow points".

Improvise, adapt, and overcome.

Problem is if the bullet expands you may foul the barrel with lead deposits. Thats why they use metal jackets. Lead is soft and when the heat of the expanding gas hits from firing it will melt the lead and can get in and on the barrel surface.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Well something causes the chit to melt. That is the key point.

Lead melts at 621 degrees F, a bullet gets awfully hot coming out of that barrel. I may not be a physicist but I would think that friction alone isnt going to cause that temp in a short pistol barrel.

A fmj bullet will still do plenty of damage from MOST guns. Maybe a little .25 or such may not be enough to do serious damage but I still wouldn't want to be shot with one.

YoZUpZ

imported post

They have to, The Hague Convention of 1899 banned the use of expanding and flattening bullets (hollow points) by NATO members