• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If SHTF, what would you rather have?

YoZUpZ

imported post

So today I was just thinking about the price of good HPJs vs FMJ Range ammo The Golden Sabers I carry are about $1.25 each whereas range ammo is about $0.30 each, so my question is, Say if SHTF and the economy went downhill or some Gun/Ammo ban came out and you weren't able to get ahold of ammo easily or at all, what would you rather have, 300 rounds of your best defensive rounds or 50 of those rounds and 1000 rounds of cheap FMJ range rounds?

Thelukaskezik

imported post

my gun safe has 5000 rounds of 9mm and 2000 rounds of .40 in fmj:celebrate

plus 200 rounds of defensive for each.

i think i'm set. i like the fmj rounds for SHTF situations.... in my mind, it works. :)

Manlaan

imported post

Well, a year ago I probably would've said differently, but today, I think I'd go with quantity.

I was reading a post that pointed that that a fatal hit is a fatal hit, no matter the type of ammo used. They also went on to say that of the gun shots analyzed, non-fatal shot made with a non-expanding bullet would still not have been fatal if they used an expanding bullet.

So, the real question between the two comes down to penetration and possibly over penetration. When in a SHTF situation, I think I'd go with the more penetration just because you dont know if you're going to need to shoot through your car door, a windshield, other barriers, or even just heavy clothing/poormans armor. But for self defense, I'd stick with the less penetration because you are accountable for where every bullet ends up.

swillden

imported post

Manlaan wrote:
When in a SHTF situation, I think I'd go with the more penetration just because you dont know if you're going to need to shoot through your car door, a windshield, other barriers, or even just heavy clothing/poormans armor.
Or you may want the penetration so your bullet will go through the first zombie in the line and take out one or two more right behind it!

SAMI

imported post

This'd make a nice zombie defense rig...

xm-26-1.jpg

img125-5854-xm26shotgun7fv.jpg

As for the original question, i'd for quantity. You have no idea how long you might need to ration the ammo.