• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lakewood Wal-Mart hassle

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I was in Lakewood Wal-Mart yesterday with my youth pastor. I was CC with a bladetech IWB holster and decided to take my sweatshirt off once inside since it was stuffy. Went all around the electronics department and got a wired xbox 360 controller for use on my PC with various console emulators, and even did some grocery shopping.

While at the self checkout the guy who supervises it came up to me and said that Wal-Mart's policy prohibits weapons in stores. I asked for a copy of the policy and he said he couldn't get one, but he just knows they're not allowed because of the shooting and because it's a bad area. I told him that's the exact reason I even carry in the first place, and requested to speak with a manager about the issue, citing that there have been several emails from people on this board and the response has always been that Wal-Mart's policy is to follow state law. He said I was wrong, citing that he works there, and even he's not allowed to carry. I told him that's because he's an employee, and it's the same with employees at my place of work, but it doesn't apply to customers.

Eventually a manager came up and asked what was going on, I told him that the guy claims that firearms are prohibited in Wal-Mart, but I happen to know that their policy is to follow state law. So he asked me if I had a carry permit, to which I replied that I only need one for concealed carry, and to have a loaded pistol in a vehicle, and I do have one so I can carry in my car. I also pointed out that open carry is legal in this state (and ironically, illegal in Texas) since it's not prohibited by law. He basically shrugged, gave a "hmm, well, I don't know what the laws are but I'll look into it." I told him about opencarry.org and told him it would be a great place to start his research.

I'm currently writing an email to them asking them to let the Lakewood store know what corporate policy actually is. I'm using my Blackhawk Serpa next time I go in.:lol:

Anyone willing to link me to other emails from Wally World? I'm coming down with a bad case of laziness.

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

Sounds like they have no clue what they where talking about.

But if you happen to already have an Xbox with wireless controllers you would save alot of money by buying a xbox wireless receiver for $20 and using your wireless controllers with that on your pc. Thats what I did. Far better then a wire and you can use pretty much all wireless xbox 360 stuff with it.

dlnwoody

imported post

G22. It must be a new employee. I carry there all the time and no one ever says anything. As far as the no guns because of the shooting. I was in there 3 days after the shooting. Not a word was said.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I have an MP3 file that is from Joe McQueens office that I like to play back. Joe is head of the Walmart marketing Office. 757-471-1651

Don Roseborough - Walmart Regional manager: 360-657-1192 (Washington)

Walmart Security Chief: 253-7704399 (Puyallup)

Walmart Regional marketing Office - Corey Confer or Robert Reck 570-821-6180

Mainsail

imported post

Here's my thread/incident from 2007.

Here’s the contact number I have for Wal-Mart in case anyone runs into difficulty with a rogue manager:

Regional Manager (this is in Puyallup) Maty Havener 253.770.4399 (I don’t know the exact spelling of her name)

As mentioned, Jason Schmitt is in charge of their security.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Received a response to my email and a phone call. Their policy is to follow state law, but they pointed out that they could ask I leave for whatever reason since they're private property owners. But the person on the phone said if I were hassled, to ask that they check with the front end for anything regarding carry of firearms, and they should have something printed out and available for anyone wanting to know about the policy. I had quoted laws and as I quoted the title, chapter and section they said they were familiar with the laws.

Lakewood Wal-Mart OC seems to be good to go. I never had any looks or comments until I got to the front end.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
I have an MP3 file that is from Joe McQueens office that I like to play back. Joe is head of the Walmart marketing Office. 757-471-1651

Here is a transcript of the call from McQueen's office:

This is Susan [garbled], I'm Joe McQueen's assistant with the Wal-Mart's Market office. Uh, we are in receipt of a letter, uh, dated 10-2, or call, I would say,uh, concerning a manager in a Chesapeake store. Uh, leading a charge to ban in store carrying of firearms [garbled]district [garbled].

Number 1, you are absolutely 100% correct. You are, especially in the state of Virginia and every other state that I know of, legally entitled to carry a firearm.

Uh, as long as you are within the law, that's your business. We have no right to stop you, we might be able to stop and ask about it, because they would like to know who's got one and who doesn't, especially if they see one. But, uh, as far as telling you cannot enter the store, you would have to leave, uh, won't happen. If police were called, the police will tell you, we have, they have no car...no way can they remove someone just because they carry a firearm. This is not, you talk about a ban, uh, this is nothing that we are aware of at the Market office nor at the home office.

Uh, we will certainly, I'd love to talk to you about it. Uh, if you'd like to call the Market office, 471-1651, area code 757. Uh, but, this is, this is a new one we've heard.
Uh, so, if you don't mind I'll try to call you tomorrow or if you want to give me a call back.

Thank you and have a wonderful, wonderful day.

[reflects aural emphasis from telecon]

The transcript isfrom an old (May 2007) thread titled:

The Wal-Mart Problem

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=2780

Note: Whatever you do, do NOT read the old thread....

jarhead1911A

imported post

I am totally suprised by the walmart issues as i OC there all the time ok well the one in Federal way but none the less most people who work there can be easly corrected if you have a pamplet on you.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Get em off of the phone and into an email so you have documents showing where they stand.
I did this, got a personal call back from the manager saying it was corporate policy to follow state law. It seems Wal-mart doesn't like to share their corporate policy publicly.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

The gal on the phone told me they'd email the Lakewood store and have them print up the email in case anyone needed to refer to it. I'll OC again, but with my Blackhawk Serpa holster rather than my IWB holster. Probably would look a bit more "professional" not having it stuffed down my pants.