• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NPS CCW laws...

murf26

imported post

Just to let anyone know who is a National Park Service employee/CCW holder:

I posed a question to the NPS yesterday about NPS employees carrying while out of the office but still on NPS grounds. I have a CCW in N.C. and wanted to know if I could carry if I am on a trail while on duty. I work in an office all the time. Here is their answer. And I quote:

Under 43 C.F.R. § 20.511, Departmental employees in the course of their
official duties (except those specifically designated to perform law
enforcement, police or other duties requiring the use of firearms) are
prohibited from possessing firearms on property under control of the
Department.

Please refer to the Firearms Implementation website for further
information: Firearms Law Implementation & Information.

Guess I'll have to carry while I'm off duty........................

chiefjason

imported post

murf26 wrote:
You're okay in N.C.  Just can't carry in an office building or visitor center.

Is the official date still Feb 22? I know different dates were kicked around.

Add a question.
Are they dealing with OC? Any official position? I know it should be OK, but wondering what the official word was.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

topcat wrote:
Are you sure you're OK to carry in National Parks in NC? NC doesn't allow carry in state parks
Yes, unless NClaw makes it illegal in a national Forest to carry a gun (openly or concealed) - the Congressional action was better than the Bush Administrative complex Rube Goldberg regulation change that is notw moot.

topcat

imported post

I guess we'll find out for sure next month when the individual parks 'educate the public' on their new carry rights within the parks. keep posted.

chiefjason

imported post

The new fed rule will cover the Nat Parks.

State law still says no in state parks.

And believe it or not, it's a dicey situation to carry in Nat Forests and gamelands. Out of certain hunting seasons you are restricted to .22 pistol with a barrel no longer than 7.5". Nearly all Nat Forests in NC are gamelands and fall under the NCWRC regulations. The weapons clause in on page 55 of the regulation digest. Just stupid. First page, on the right side here.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/2009_10/2009_10_Gamelands.pdf

chiefjason

imported post

Thanks Glock. The deadline is over, but don't let that stop you. FWIW, all I got was an email saying they received my suggestion.

chiefjason

imported post

topcat wrote:
The NPS/GSMNP has posted the new info for gun carry in the park for both TN and NC sections. Looking forward to Feb.22

So they either skipped over the OC issue or are totally ignorant of it. My understanding is that the law just makes the state's firearms laws the "law of the land" in the park. Raise your hand if you want to be the test case. :shock:

topcat

imported post

The state laws of GA, NC & TN allow open carry, so I for one will carry openly. My first outing will be here in GA at the Chattahoochie NRA.

Dreamer

imported post

So I'm wondering if National Seashore parks (like Hatteras, and Cape Lookout) are included in this new law?

We go down to the outer banks every summer, and it would be nice to be able to carry down there, like when we are camping...

I know that the OBX are also littered with State Park areas too, so I need to get it all straight as to where it IS and IS NOT cool to carry. Man, this is going to be confusing for a while...

Here is a link to a page that lists ALL the National Parks in NC:

http://usparks.about.com/blpknc.htm

I looked at that PDF someone posted earlier, and it made no mention of Hatteras, so I'm thinking it's OK to carry there.

I REALLY wish NC allowed carry in State parks. I LOVE to fly kites on Jockey Ridge, and it would be nice to not have to leave my firearm in the car (or in the hotel room) when we go out kiting. And we also go camping at Carolina Beach once or twice every summer, but that's a "no carry zone" too. I guess the State Park ban is ONE MORE bad law we need to work towards getting repealed here in NC...

And to make things even more complicated, the only way to get to Ocracoke is on one of the two ferries--both of which are STATE-run. I rode on those ferries last summer several times, but I can't seem to remember if they were posted...

Dreamer

imported post

OK, it just took some minor "Google-Fu" to find the answer about Hatteras:

http://www.nps.gov/caha/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Although it doesn't appear to be listed in the NC hunting guide, Hattaras DOES have areas that are designated for waterfoul hunting, and the NPS page for this says they are administered by NPS, US F&WS, and NC... No clear answer then...

http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/waterfowl-hunting.htm

Cape Lookout might be a different thing though. There are parts of Lookout that are set aside for waterfoul hunting, and so it may fall under the NC Gamelands ban. I need to look some more though. Here is the NPS page on firearms laws for Cape Lookout:

http://www.nps.gov/calo/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Dig, dig, dig... Man, this is gonna be a tough one to get sussed out for us here in NC.

I get the feeling that this one is going to take a LOT of phone calls to get straight. :banghead:

ocgso

imported post

You know it would be really easy to know where you could and could not carry if more state were like Vermont and Alaska and Utah.....

Those are states that pretty much understand a simple four word phrase....

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED