Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Danbus' sentencing

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    Does anyone have any information on how Danbus' sentencing went today in the Circuit Court? I was following the other thread until it was locked. I believe that there were some forum members that were going to attend. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    Dan got 15 days to serve (on weekends) with the remaining 11 1/2 months suspended for good behavior for a year. Not sure how weekend jail works in Newport News, hopefully they keep them in a separate part of the jail or just release them at night and make them pick up trash on a work crew during the day. He also has to pay $700 in restitution to the victim. Considering that the Judge said he thought the assault and battery were egregious and that he had no sympathy for Dan, I'd say he got off pretty easy. Hopefully the Army or Navy will still take him and I wish him the best.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    ChickenLover wrote:
    Dan got 15 days to serve (on weekends) with the remaining 11 1/2 months suspended for good behavior for a year. Not sure how weekend jail works in Newport News, hopefully they keep them in a separate part of the jail or just release them at night and make them pick up trash on a work crew during the day. He also has to pay $700 in restitution to the victim. Considering that the Judge said he thought the assault and battery were egregious and that he had no sympathy for Dan, I'd say he got off pretty easy. Hopefully the Army or Navy will still take him and I wish him the best.
    Beats hell out of sitting in the Hoosgow for a year.
    I wish him the best in the future.

  4. #4
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    Maybe it will color his actions with a little more wisdom or objectivity in the future.

    I, too, hope that this does not jeopardize his other aspirations. He has now lived. Logic dictates he should have learned. Time will tell, but he's a smart lad (maybe too smart for his own good sometimes) and I think he'll come through it all just fine.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623

    Post imported post

    ChickenLover wrote:
    Dan got 15 days to serve (on weekends) with the remaining 11 1/2 months suspended for good behavior for a year. Not sure how weekend jail works in Newport News, hopefully they keep them in a separate part of the jail or just release them at night and make them pick up trash on a work crew during the day. He also has to pay $700 in restitution to the victim. Considering that the Judge said he thought the assault and battery were egregious and that he had no sympathy for Dan, I'd say he got off pretty easy. Hopefully the Army or Navy will still take him and I wish him the best.
    Not happy, but not displeased either - better than I hoped for actually.

    Has there been conversation regarding Dan joining one of the services? He could do worse.

    How will this effect his RKBA ?

    Open letter to Dan - when the time is right, would like very much to sit down and have dinner with you. Always a friend.

    Yata hey


    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803

    Post imported post

    Was his conviction a felony and if so does that mean he can't own guns?!!!

    I know a person or two that did weekend time and got through it ok.

  7. #7
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    I think he got off very easy - although I bet writing that check sure hurt.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  8. #8
    Activist Member nuc65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,121

    Post imported post

    It seems like it was a misdemeanor because of the 1 year. If it was a year and a day then it would have been a felony.

    I'm only guessing but I hope it wasn't, although it is going to make it hard to get a CHP again if he had one before. If it was a felony then firearms are out.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

    excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623

    Post imported post

    nuc65 wrote:
    It seems like it was a misdemeanor because of the 1 year. If it was a year and a day then it would have been a felony.

    I'm only guessing but I hope it wasn't, although it is going to make it hard to get a CHP again if he had one before. If it was a felony then firearms are out.
    Misdemeanor terms of incarceration are given in months; felonies in years.

    12 months does not equal one year.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    nuc65 wrote:
    It seems like it was a misdemeanor because of the 1 year. If it was a year and a day then it would have been a felony.

    I'm only guessing but I hope it wasn't, although it is going to make it hard to get a CHP again if he had one before. If it was a felony then firearms are out.
    Misdemeanor terms of incarceration are given in months; felonies in years.

    12 months does not equal one year.

    Yata hey

    100 % correct

    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    SNIP 12 months does not equal one year.
    Aha!! At last we have iron-clad proof that Grapeshot is not from this planet.

    Juuuuust as many of us suspected.

    :P
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    SNIP 12 months does not equal one year.
    Aha!! At last we have iron-clad proof that Grapeshot is not from this planet.

    Juuuuust as many others are suspect.

    :P
    Now there is something on which we can agree, Citi-zen.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Open letter to Dan - when the time is right, would like very much to sit down and have dinner with you. Always a friend.
    Perhaps he can attend one of our dinners.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    I spoke for Dan in court as a character witness (therefore, I wasn't in any position to talk about "findings of fact" which the court had already determined). In fact, the judge did use the word "egregious" to characterize Dan's actions, though he described the event in the terms of a man just going into a store to get a gallon of milk, only to be beat on the head for no clear reason. He didn't accept the testimony that the man had been banned and therefore was trespassing. He was also factually wrong, in that Dan did not hit the man on the head.

    ANYWAY, we've beaten that dead horse enough! My testimony attempted to describe the Dan Moore that I have known for three years, and to the Judge's credit, he did seem interested in what I had to say. Its hard for me to be objective about my testimony's effect on the issue, but afterward, Dan's lawyer said she thought my comments had a major impact on the outcome, as she had expected him to get some real jail time, the way things had been headed.

    As mentioned above, Dan got 11 1/2 months suspended and 14 days to be served on 7 consecutive weekends at the City Farm (ironically, just down the street from our yearly VCDL picnics). The lawyer said "the clientele is much better than the gen pop at the City Jail, and the food is pretty good"! He reports on the 29th.

    As you might expect, Dan is still the stoic, generally optimistic person he has always been, and simply plans to take his lumps and move on with his life. The hardest thing for him throughout all this was being in limbo for so long, and being unable to get any decent job. He's hoping for that to change now, and does want to look into the military.

    The charge being a misdemeanor, his right to keep and bear arms is unaffected, as is his CCW. :celebrate

    I'm sure when he gets a chance to catch his breath, he will post his own comments!


  15. #15
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    So no more appeals?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623

    Post imported post

    paramedic70002 wrote:
    So no more appeals?
    Dan has said not - think he wants to get on with his life.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Activist Member nuc65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,121

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    The charge being a misdemeanor, his right to keep and bear arms is unaffected, as is his CCW.
    I'm just curious as to the actual conviction because I thought it was assault or assault and battery and it would affect a CHP?

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/34418-1.html

    § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

    E. The following persons shall be deemed disqualified from obtaining a permit:

    14. An individual who has been convicted of any assault, assault and battery, sexual battery, discharging of a firearm in violation of § 18.2-280 or 18.2-286.1 or brandishing of a firearm in violation of § 18.2-282 within the three-year period immediately preceding the application.

    J. Any person convicted of an offense that would disqualify that person from obtaining a permit under subsection E or who violates subsection F shall forfeit his permit for a concealed handgun and surrender it to the court. Upon receipt by the Central Criminal Records Exchange of a record of the arrest, conviction or occurrence of any other event that would disqualify a person from obtaining a concealed handgun permit under subsection E, the Central Criminal Records Exchange shall notify the court having issued the permit of such disqualifying arrest, conviction or other event. Upon receipt of such notice of a conviction, the court shall revoke the permit of a person disqualified pursuant to this subsection, and shall promptly notify the State Police and the person whose permit was revoked of the revocation.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

    excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    nuc65 wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    The charge being a misdemeanor, his right to keep and bear arms is unaffected, as is his CCW.
    I'm just curious as to the actual conviction because I thought it was assault or assault and battery and it would affect a CHP?

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/34418-1.html

    § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

    E. The following persons shall be deemed disqualified from obtaining a permit:

    14. An individual who has been convicted of any assault, assault and battery, sexual battery, discharging of a firearm in violation of § 18.2-280 or 18.2-286.1 or brandishing of a firearm in violation of § 18.2-282 within the three-year period immediately preceding the application.

    J. Any person convicted of an offense that would disqualify that person from obtaining a permit under subsection E or who violates subsection F shall forfeit his permit for a concealed handgun and surrender it to the court. Upon receipt by the Central Criminal Records Exchange of a record of the arrest, conviction or occurrence of any other event that would disqualify a person from obtaining a concealed handgun permit under subsection E, the Central Criminal Records Exchange shall notify the court having issued the permit of such disqualifying arrest, conviction or other event. Upon receipt of such notice of a conviction, the court shall revoke the permit of a person disqualified pursuant to this subsection, and shall promptly notify the State Police and the person whose permit was revoked of the revocation.
    On reading all the relevant sections of the VA code, it DOES appear that anyone with a CCW who is convicted of any of the disqualifying circumstances mentioned in number 14 above will have his CCW forfeited. I know a person can re-apply after a certain period, probably the 3 years mentioned in the statute.

  19. #19
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    ANYWAY, we've beaten that dead horse enough! My testimony attempted to describe the Dan Moore that I have known for three years, and to the Judge's credit, he did seem interested in what I had to say. Its hard for me to be objective about my testimony's effect on the issue, but afterward, Dan's lawyer said she thought my comments had a major impact on the outcome, as she had expected him to get some real jail time, the way things had been headed.
    I sure hope your personal advocacy for danbus turns out to be a good thing. Time will tell.

    In the past, he has used the adulation and energetic support from many (not all) here that he garnered for some egregious deprivations of his rights (e.g., Norfolk bank) to somehow justify verybad judgment in other situations (e.g. Suffolk case).

    Hopefully, the continuing saga of danbus as the illustrious OC patriot/icon, afteranother conviction, is now over.

    I wish him luck and wisdom going forward.Hischeckered past willfade away with several years of no further incidents with the law.



  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    ANYWAY, we've beaten that dead horse enough! My testimony attempted to describe the Dan Moore that I have known for three years, and to the Judge's credit, he did seem interested in what I had to say. Its hard for me to be objective about my testimony's effect on the issue, but afterward, Dan's lawyer said she thought my comments had a major impact on the outcome, as she had expected him to get some real jail time, the way things had been headed.
    I sure hope your personal advocacy for danbus turns out to be a good thing. Time will tell.

    In the past, he has used the adulation and energetic support from many (not all) here that he garnered for some egregious deprivations of his rights (e.g., Norfolk bank) to somehow justify verybad judgment in other situations (e.g. Suffolk case).

    Hopefully, the continuing saga of danbus as the illustrious OC patriot/icon, afteranother conviction, is now over.

    I wish him luck and wisdom going forward.Hischeckered past willfade away with several years of no further incidents with the law.
    Let the first one without sin caste the first stone.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  21. #21
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    I sure hope your personal advocacy for danbus turns out to be a good thing. Time will tell.

    In the past, he has used the adulation and energetic support from many (not all) here that he garnered for some egregious deprivations of his rights (e.g., Norfolk bank) to somehow justify verybad judgment in other situations (e.g. Suffolk case).

    Hopefully, the continuing saga of danbus as the illustrious OC patriot/icon, afteranother conviction, is now over.

    I wish him luck and wisdom going forward.Hischeckered past willfade away with several years of no further incidents with the law.

    Hank, for someone that doesn't OC or live in Virginia, you spend a lot of time fretting about our business.
    This should help you find your way home
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum38/

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    ANYWAY, we've beaten that dead horse enough! My testimony attempted to describe the Dan Moore that I have known for three years, and to the Judge's credit, he did seem interested in what I had to say. Its hard for me to be objective about my testimony's effect on the issue, but afterward, Dan's lawyer said she thought my comments had a major impact on the outcome, as she had expected him to get some real jail time, the way things had been headed.
    I sure hope your personal advocacy for danbus turns out to be a good thing. Time will tell.

    In the past, he has used the adulation and energetic support from many (not all) here that he garnered for some egregious deprivations of his rights (e.g., Norfolk bank) to somehow justify verybad judgment in other situations (e.g. Suffolk case).

    Hopefully, the continuing saga of danbus as the illustrious OC patriot/icon, afteranother conviction, is now over.

    I wish him luck and wisdom going forward.Hischeckered past willfade away with several years of no further incidents with the law.

    I had made a promise to myself to just ignore you, and kept that promise far a long time. But sometimes people just cross the line too often and raise being an A-hole to the leve of becoming a religion. In this case you have become the high priest of A-holiness.

    Your posts have always been mean spirited, sarcastic and cowardly but this one is intentionally offensive and demeaning to a long time member of this forum who has NEVER said a bad word about you or your drivel. Moreover, since you have NO idea what conditions exist for open carry in southern Virginia you cannot possible have a clue about what has motivated the police in that area to act against Dan. I frankly do not care what state you are from, but I know it is not Virginia, so go annoy people in your own state forum. You are not now, nor have you ever been welcome here.

    Your statements here clearly show you for the internet coward and racist your are. It is interesting that you should wait until a person is no longer in a position to defend against your comments to post this crap. You are a coward and you have no honor or sense of justice or objectivity.

    You were not at ANY of the incidents you mentioned and you have no clue what happened. This last incident has been discussed to death and it is now time for Dan to move on. Idiots like you are the reason it is impossible for people to who make a mistake to simply pay their debt to society and get on with their lives. I can only hope that you get to experience the violation of your rights at the hands of a few LEOs acting outside the law on their own agenda so you might see the world the way it is, and then BEGIN to understand what has actually happened to this man.

    Do the letters FO mean anything to you. (Its a rhetorical question so just go away)
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  23. #23
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    ANYWAY, we've beaten that dead horse enough! My testimony attempted to describe the Dan Moore that I have known for three years, and to the Judge's credit, he did seem interested in what I had to say. Its hard for me to be objective about my testimony's effect on the issue, but afterward, Dan's lawyer said she thought my comments had a major impact on the outcome, as she had expected him to get some real jail time, the way things had been headed.
    I sure hope your personal advocacy for danbus turns out to be a good thing. Time will tell.

    In the past, he has used the adulation and energetic support from many (not all) here that he garnered for some egregious deprivations of his rights (e.g., Norfolk bank) to somehow justify verybad judgment in other situations (e.g. Suffolk case).

    Hopefully, the continuing saga of danbus as the illustrious OC patriot/icon, afteranother conviction, is now over.

    I wish him luck and wisdom going forward.Hischeckered past willfade away with several years of no further incidents with the law.

    I had made a promise to myself to just ignore you, and kept that promise far a long time. But sometimes people just cross the line too often and raise being an A-hole to the leve of becoming a religion. In this case you have become the high priest of A-holiness.

    Your posts have always been mean spirited, sarcastic and cowardly but this one is intentionally offensive and demeaning to a long time member of this forum who has NEVER said a bad word about you or your drivel. Moreover, since you have NO idea what conditions exist for open carry in southern Virginia you cannot possible have a clue about what has motivated the police in that area to act against Dan. I frankly do not care what state you are from, but I know it is not Virginia, so go annoy people in your own state forum. You are not now, nor have you ever been welcome here.

    Your statements here clearly show you for the internet coward and racist your are. It is interesting that you should wait until a person is no longer in a position to defend against your comments to post this crap. You are a coward and you have no honor or sense of justice or objectivity.

    You were not at ANY of the incidents you mentioned and you have no clue what happened. This last incident has been discussed to death and it is now time for Dan to move on. Idiots like you are the reason it is impossible for people to who make a mistake to simply pay their debt to society and get on with their lives. I can only hope that you get to experience the violation of your rights at the hands of a few LEOs acting outside the law on their own agenda so you might see the world the way it is, and then BEGIN to understand what has actually happened to this man.

    Do the letters FO mean anything to you. (Its a rhetorical question so just go away)
    +1 well said Hawk
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  24. #24
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    HankT wrote: Let the first one without sin caste the first stone.
    That's not stones he's throwing; it's his own filth.

    Until the monkey exhibit gets closed down, I suggest we back away from the cage.





  25. #25
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    DrMark wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    HankT wrote: Let the first one without sin caste the first stone.
    That's not stones he's throwing; it's his own filth.

    Until the monkey exhibit gets closed down, I suggest we back away from the cage.



    +1
    The door is closing on that part of Dan's life. Let it close. He has a lot of future ahead!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •