• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for Military personnel about OC

durellusmc

imported post

Ok, as you can guess by my screen name i'm in the service (USMC), I'm stationed here at Quantico, Va. Well after a buddy kept telling me that VA was an open carry state and after getting a nice little amount of info from him about the whole law, Oc and CC, I decided to purchase a .40 cal XD. At first I was real nervous about OCing so for about 2 weeks I kept the pistol at home, then I relaxed and started to OC.

Well one day I was standing in line at Starbucks and I was approaced by an older gentlemen and it went like this:

Guy: hey Marine, What are you doing?

Me: Sir?

Guy: Are you crazy?

Me: (Still confused) Sir?

Guy: what is that on your side? Why do you have it? What is you name?

Me: Durell. I have it for self defense, Sir, and because Va law give me the ability to carry like this, Sir.

Guy: Give me your Id card, I'm Lt.Col Xxxxx.

Me: No sir I'm not giving you my ID card. May I see your Id card?(We played this game about 5 times)

Guy: Yeah ,ok. I cant believe this. (As he flips through his wallet, he does not have his Id card). Well I dont have it, but I am Lt.Col Xxxx, that's all you need to know. How many times have you been to Iraq? How long have you been back?

Me: twice sir, I been back for about 1.5 yrs since my last tour sir.

Guy: Marine when you came back did always look for your rifle? Did you feel like you had to have a weapon by your side?

Me: No, sir

Guy: So why do you have one now? You can't do this, look around you are making everybody nervous, there are kids here. You have lost your mind.

Me: (As I looked around at all 5 people in the place, nobody even noticed what was going on, nor was paying any attention to us, nor was there any kids) I have it sir because it is my 2nd admendment right, self defense, and state laws states I can Sir. (All in respectful tone of course)

Guy: You know what Marine I am going to have a talk with you Commanding Officer. (And he leaves)

Me: Yes Sir. Have a good day sir.

Ok didnt mean to blab on but wanted to share that story. I've had another since that incident but it was more of the lines "Marine, why are carrying an open weapon?" and I replied "Sir, VA is an open carry state." and he replied "Really? Did not know that. Where can I find more info?" I handed him a card my buddy gave me that has all the VA OC info.

So I just wanted to see if there are any other Service members that have been confronted by higher ups. I try not to carry close to where alot of Marines are because Marines like to call each other out, which is good and bad. I always dress clean and nice when I OC, not always, slacks and dress shirts, but nice clean fitting jeans, nice shirt. not only because I am carrying a pistol but because of being a Marine. So again just wanted to see if any service members get confronted and how do you deal with it?

mpg9999

imported post

durellusmc wrote:
Ok, as you can guess by my screen name i'm in the service (USMC), I'm stationed here at Quantico, Va. Well after a buddy kept telling me that VA was an open carry state and after getting a nice little amount of info from him about the whole law, Oc and CC, I decided to purchase a .40 cal XD. At first I was real nervous about OCing so for about 2 weeks I kept the pistol at home, then I relaxed and started to OC.

Well one day I was standing in line at Starbucks and I was approaced by an older gentlemen and it went like this:

Me: Durell. I have it for self defense, Sir, and because Va law give me the ability to carry like this, Sir.

Me: No sir I'm not giving you my ID card. May I see your Id card?(We played this game about 5 times)

Guy: Yeah ,ok. I cant believe this. (As he flips through his wallet, he does not have his Id card). Well I dont have it, but I am Lt.Col Xxxx, that's all you need to know. How many times have you been to Iraq? How long have you been back?

Guy: Marine when you came back did always look for your rifle? Did you feel like you had to have a weapon by your side?

Guy: So why do you have one now? You can't do this, look around you are making everybody nervous, there are kids here. You have lost your mind.

Me: (As I looked around at all 5 people in the place, nobody even noticed what was going on, nor was paying any attention to us, nor was there any kids) I have it sir because it is my 2nd admendment right, self defense, and state laws states I can Sir. (All in respectful tone of course)

Guy: You know what Marine I am going to have a talk with you Commanding Officer. (And he leaves)

Ok didnt mean to blab on but wanted to share that story. I've had another since that incident but it was more of the lines "Marine, why are carrying an open weapon?" and I replied "Sir, VA is an open carry state." and he replied "Really? Did not know that. Where can I find more info?" I handed him a card my buddy gave me that has all the VA OC info.

So I just wanted to see if there are any other Service members that have been confronted by higher ups. I try not to carry close to where alot of Marines are because Marines like to call each other out, which is good and bad. I always dress clean and nice when I OC, not always, slacks and dress shirts, but nice clean fitting jeans, nice shirt. not only because I am carrying a pistol but because of being a Marine. So again just wanted to see if any service members get confronted and how do you deal with it?
Never, but us guard guys don't always look like military :). Do you know this Lt Col's name?

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm not military so take this with a grain of salt.

I recall people having experiences like this before. Mostly nothing comes of it.

Nothing in your post indicate how the LTC would know who your CO is or what unit you're in -- granted, you may have edited that out for the post. You may want to let you CO/ next person up the chain know about this. It might look better if your CO know about it should the LTC talk to your CO. It's like what my wife and I tell her kids, "it's much better if you tell me about a bad grade/speeding ticket/whatever, then I find about it on the report card/court summons/etc."

TFred

imported post

Yeah, I'm not military either... I was wondering were either or both of you in uniform?

If you were two ordinary citizens in a public (off base) business... wow I would have a problem with what he did.

Probably one more reason I could never have tolerated being in the military.

TFred

wylde007

imported post

Lt. Col. Dips**t was completely out of line and he should have been told to cram it.

Of course, you probably can't do that since he's a "superior" but fortunately us "civilians" haven't subjected ourselves to the military hierarchy where we recognize any one man as superior... so we can say things like that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Did you ever know a Lt Col before that did not have his ID on him? Hmmm - like as not. Suspect total BS on his part.

I believe that it is against the law to impersonate a military officer - if it isn't, it should be.

Yata hey

durellusmc

imported post

Yea I learned at my last unit from personal experience not to give up Unit info, so I never gave him my unit info. defintaly not in uniform, Marines are not allowed out in town in uniform (except for service uniforms). I told my Ssgt., who also Ocs, about it and he was like "F" him. During this time I wasnt scared nervous or anything because he had nothin on me, no last name, no unit info, only had my first name. even though this happened a while ago it just poped in my head and wanted to post it up and see if anybody had any similar experiences.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
told him to go pound salt in my most colorful Jersey way, but that's me.
You can't, you're a Virginian now! We're Po Lite!:p

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Did you ever know a Lt Col before that did not have his ID on him?
I've been retired for 4 years and I STILL carry my Lt. Col. military ID on me if I am carrying my wallet.

Sounds like a nut case - remember the Tony'7 incident? The 911 caller and antagonist of the Tony's 7 said he was a marine - I still have the 911 audio call and know his name and phone number (and no, I am not publishing it).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Proved difficult to make the transition from Po Lice to Po Lite and not stutter. :lol:

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Proved difficult to make the transition from Po Lice to Po Lite and not stutter. :lol:

Yata hey
Then Pro Active:uhoh:

durellusmc

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Isn't he as an LTC required to have his ID on him at all times?

All in all, you handled it well. I might have told him to go pound salt in my most colorful Jersey way, but that's me.

I know right. "go pound salt" lol I like that lol

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

durellusmc wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

All in all, you handled it well. I might have told him to go pound salt in my most colorful Jersey way, but that's me.

He's new at insulting people...It's pound sand.

How did he know you were a Marine?
You handled it well BTW.;)

Decoligny

imported post

durellusmc wrote:
Guy: Yeah ,ok. I cant believe this. (As he flips through his wallet, he does not have his Id card). Well I dont have it, but I am Lt.Col Xxxx, that's all you need to know.
Isn't there a regulation which reguires members of the Military to have their Military I.D. on their person?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Isn't there a regulation which reguires members of the Military to have their Military I.D. on their person?
Not that I could ever find, though generally that was the guidance on duty - and besides, you need it to get on base agains now that the gates are guarded again (were not in Army from early 90s thru 2001), and to use the commmisary/PX etc. or access medicalcare

durellusmc

imported post

peter nap wrote:
durellusmc wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

He's new at insulting people...It's pound sand.

How did he know you were a Marine?
You handled it well BTW.;)
It was a sunday afternoon fresh haircut, and one lucky guess lol, but yea like I said earlier Marines can spot other Marines miles away.

IDk i think i like pound salt lol

DocDaddy

imported post

durellusmc: I'm in the Navy, Seabees to be exact, and I have not had any issues with any other military types down here in the Hampton Roads area. I know of one Navy getleman on here that is a O-4 or O-5 and he OC's. Another buddy of mine personnally is a O-3 and OC's. Thereare alot of active and prior Military guys on here, so seek out help or ask questions.

Alot of people here at my command are into "Defensive Tools" and have come to me for info including our XO. Just be assertive and know what you are doing, study laws, situational awareness, practice, learn as much as you can because knowing is half the battle... G.I. Joe A Real American he... sorry, went off into LaLa Land there for a bit.

ChinChin

imported post

durellusmc wrote:

Unless this gentleman is infact a USMC Lite Colonel then he is guilty of violating 18 USC Sec. 912 (link: http://trac.syr.edu/laws/18/18USC00912.html)

That aside, you did the correct thing in letting your E5 know what happend. Even if this guy was legit there is the chance he isn't on your post and it's been my experiance brass can't tell the difference between NCOs to save their lives.