• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ohioopencarry.org

theqbn

imported post

I am going to be launching an Ohio-specific open carry website and would like to hear from everybody what features they would like to see.

One of the bigger questions being, would you like to see yet another forum, specifically for Ohio open carry, or do you feel that between here (OCDO) and the OFCC Open Carry forum that we have enough/too much? My concern obviously is that traffic may be far too slow on a new forum to maintain interest, plus lack of active moderators etc could become a problem.

Here are some things I am hoping to provide:
* Email addresses to those who are active for the cause
* Sharing of downloadables (printable materials, digital audio recordings)
* Facilitate setup of face to face meetings & carry events, by collecting member locations & availability

Another possible idea is a "(Wo)Man With a Gun" database where we can report where we carried and what the response, if any was.

IxionDeece

imported post

I think that is a great idea, Lthrnck and I both were talking a little while back about setting such a thing up but we kept having the problem of someone with a spare computer to use as a server. That is the only thing that has stopped me from doing so is that I don't have and extra one. But if you wanna make it I personally would be more than happy to help you in any way possible. I am really good with computers too so there is a wide range of things I can do...whatever I could not I would inform you of. Plus Lthrnck and I both have all the copies of the files such as fliers and such that we could make available for download. If you would be interested in my help send me a pm and I will give you my personal e-mail so that we can get started. (by the way I am one of the core members of our meetings, I have just had some absences due to car problems and work schedule complications, but I can do alot from my laptop)

theqbn

imported post

Absolutely man, I was setting up a server anyway for some other sites I'm running and there's no additional cost to run another site off it.

At this point I'm thinking of running the site on Drupal (drupal.org) which will allow multiple contributors and can be customized to do damn near anything if you spend enough time on it.

Brian D.

imported post

RT48 wrote:
This one never really took off.

http://ocohio.myfreeforum.org/

In fairness, part of the trouble with that site was the guy who set it up. He was an avid advocateof open carry--for about two months, then he disappeared. That left a forum board without its administrator, any moderators, etc.

{Warning: painting with a broad brush ahead:} Also, though, the Open Carry movement here in Ohio these last few years hasgathered the forward momentum of a dying Yugo, as opposed to the locomotive on a straightaway that we doubtless had hoped for.

Maybe a better organized and maintained website would make things better however, I'm certainly not about to stand in the way of a motivated person or group.

theqbn

imported post

One of my goals is to have others involved so that even if I need to give it a break, others will be able to continue.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

If you are looking for a dictator, I'm your guy.

Brian D. Stated:
I'm certainly not about to stand in the way of a motivated person or group.
Fix:

I'm certainly not about to stand in the way of a motivated person or group that supports my agenda.