• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wichita Eagle: Contact Tim Potter Initiative

Damiansar-15

imported post

All,

In late 2009, Tim Potter of the Wichita Eagle wrote a very positive CCL article promoting the good that the CCL has had on Kansas. I contacted him late last year and urged him to write an Open Carry article related to the changes to Wichita's unconstitutional ordinances which banned open carry in city limits. These oppressive ordinances where changed for CCL holders; thus the language appears to allow CCL holders to OC in Wichita. There seems to be controversy around intent/interpretation of the changes, including WPD and city officals. See string below (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum24/33288.html).

I wanted to encourage our open carry supporters to contact Tim and enforce my plea for promoting an awareness of the issue and to publish an article pertaining to the city's position on this ordinance change. Once an article is published, it will provide leverage to add heat on any changes passed by statist, anti-freedom city counsel members. It will also, provide public and law enforcement awareness, to enable OC in Wichita. With the increase of conservative points of view, I believe elected officials will shy awayfrom implementing policy, which impacts free citizens' freedoms. So, I don't believe promoting clarity on the issue, will cause a change back to restrictive ordinances on OC. See Tim's contact information below and please contact him...

Metro Crime and safety reporter:

Tim Potter, 316-268-6684

tpotter@wichitaeagle.com

Fax: 316-268-6627

markbet

imported post

I am not a person that has a good way of putting things into words. Some on here are great at it. If I was to write Tim Potter, what would be an effective way of wording it for open carry support?

Damiansar-15

imported post

First of all, I believe it is important to act quickly, because I have heard through a local city contact that the ordinance change might be on the Feb. city council agenda. I'll let you know what I hear, but it appears they are amending the ordinance to make it clear that Open Carry is banned in Wichita if you are a free citizen and CCL holder. So, the adjustments they made to allow CCL to Open Carryare getting amended away very soon.

Key Points to write to the Wichita Eagle:

• Per your article about CCL, can you investigate the ordinance changes that appear to allow CCL holders to open carry pistols?
  • No official explanation of the changes have been publicly presented on the issue, e.g. city website, local news, etc...
  • Other Kansas cities are allowing open carry, e.g. Topeka, why does Wichita have an unconstitutional ban on Open Carry?
  • Previous ordinance against open carry of firearms is arguably unconstitutional, because the State allows cities toregulate the carrying firearms, not ban the ability to Open Carry
  • Pending changes to the ordinances, which currently allows CCL to open carry, should be explained publicly through investigative reporting, e.g. why does the city want to remove freedom from free citizens?
  • CCL and the ability to open carry in Wichita will enable a positive gun culture for free citizens to leverage in order to increase security, reduce crime and complete constitutional freedom regarding theright to bear arms.
  • There are many States with positive Open Carry results and even California allows Open Carry, but just heavily regulates, e.g. unloaded pistols...
There are many other points to be made including some of the slogans on this site, e.g. right unexercised is a right lost, etc... Feel free to take these points and weave them into your own story/thoughts for the Eagle. Perhaps a letter to the Editor is more appropriate...

markbet

imported post

Damiansar-15 wrote:
First of all, I believe it is important to act quickly, because I have heard through a local city contact that the ordinance change might be on the Feb. city council agenda.  I'll let you know what I hear, but it appears they are amending the ordinance to make it clear that Open Carry is banned in Wichita if you are a free citizen and CCL holder.  So, the adjustments they made to allow CCL to Open Carry are getting amended away very soon.

Key Points to write to the Wichita Eagle:

• Per your article about CCL, can you investigate the ordinance changes that appear to allow CCL holders to open carry pistols?
  • No official explanation of the changes have been publicly presented on the issue, e.g. city website, local news, etc...
  • Other Kansas cities are allowing open carry, e.g. Topeka, why does Wichita have an unconstitutional ban on Open Carry?
  • Previous ordinance against open carry of firearms is arguably unconstitutional, because the State allows cities to regulate the carrying firearms, not ban the ability to Open Carry
  • Pending changes to the ordinances, which currently allows CCL to open carry, should be explained publicly through investigative reporting, e.g. why does the city want to remove freedom from free citizens?
  • CCL and the ability to open carry in Wichita will enable a positive gun culture for free citizens to leverage in order to increase security, reduce crime and complete constitutional freedom regarding the right to bear arms.
  • There are many States with positive Open Carry results and even California allows Open Carry, but just heavily regulates, e.g. unloaded pistols...
There are many other points to be made including some of the slogans on this site, e.g. right unexercised is a right lost, etc... Feel free to take these points and weave them into your own story/thoughts for the Eagle.  Perhaps a letter to the Editor is more appropriate...

Thank you for your help. I did send a letter to Tim Potter and the editor.

We need to keep one thing in mind when it comes to the City Of Wichita, they do not do ANYTHING on purpose to help or support the citizens here, especially when it comes to our rights. They suck.

Damiansar-15

imported post

Per my Wichita city contact, apparently, the ordinance was voted to be changed in Dec. Looks like it will be publicly posted soon... Thank you for all who bothered to write and do something about it...

Second Reading Ordinances for December 22, 2009 (first read on December 15, 2009)

Ordinance amending Section 5.88.010 of the Code of the City of Wichita, Kansas, pertaining to thecrime of Unlawful Use of Weapons.

ORDINANCE NO. 48-580

An ordinance amending section 5.88.010 of the code of the city of Wichita, Kansas, pertaining to the crime of unlawful use of weapons and repeal of the original section 5.88.010