• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time OC

kdt1970

imported post

I OC (S&W 457) for the first time last night at sconcutter. I went there with my wife and 10 year old daughter, it all went good. Only looks of :shock:,:shock:and that was about it. So all in all good.

scorpioajr

imported post

Keep up the good work!
I noticed that when I was new to OCing i would be very alert and aware of every face that was looking at me and their reactions. I finally realized that i was getting the reactions i was getting, because i was armed, standing in line, looking everywhere! Of course people were going to be look at me funny! Lol! When I OC now, I look as though the gun belongs there and i am not concerned with those who see it - it seems to solidify the perception that "Hey, this guy is alright, he's not nervous, so I won't be either."

I know its easier said than done, but once you relax and associate you wearing your gun the same was as a hat - the less attention you will attract towards yourself.

You will find that 99.8% of your OCing will go unnoticed and uneventful.
Sounds like you did great bud.

kdt1970

imported post

She has a HI-Point 9mm, and may be getting a Kel-Tec 9mm soon. The High-Point seems a bit wide for the way she carries it.

But she really wants a Springfield 1911 sub compact.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

A High-Point I used to use it as a training gun because it jammed up all the time.

It was a great learning tool on how to clear your firearm and to teach others. I personally would never use it as a carry gun.

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

When I OC and I make eye contact with a person, I smile, nod my head or say hello. :D So as to let them know I am a good guy. I love Utah only one older man asked me, "Got your hurt with you today?" I was at the yernal at the time, I almost said what ya looking at old man!

kirkaroberts

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
A High-Point I used to use it as a training gun because it jammed up all the time.

It was a great learning tool on how to clear your firearm and to teach others. I personally would never use it as a carry gun.
I would be very careful what firearm you or your wife are willing to bet your lives on. If the gun comes out and jams, you may become a statistic. High-Point's are cheap for a reason and you do get what you pay for. For just a little bit more money you can get a Taurus or something like that. Your wife should test the gun as if she is under attack. Have her pull the trigger until the magazine is empty as fast as she can possibly move her finger with the ammo she intends to carry. Repeat this for several hundred rounds without cleaning the gun. If the gun jams, I agree with the above comment, it is a good learning tool on how to clear a firearm. If it passes, make sure that it is immaculately cleaned before carrying it. For the record, I wouldn't carry it either.

She can also increase the caliber of the gun she carries by sending it to Magnaport International and having it ported. This reduces about 15% of the recoil and 50% of the muzzle jump, depending on the gun of course. They will port it for about $140.00 plus shipping. This would increase the likelihood of a 1 shot knockdown and the chance to get away. I saw a man on Methamphetamine get shot by SLC Police Officer Michael Irvine (If I remember his name correctly) with a Glock 9mm 3 times in the torso at a range of about 25 yards and although he stopped advancing, he stood there a wobbled a second before falling down and never lost consciousness. He was still talking a good 10 minutes after being shot as he was being loaded into the ambulance. I am glad no one had to lose their life that day but if his gun had jammed after the first or second shot I might not be writing this incredibly long post as the officer was standing between myself, the man's wife and infant child, and another man.

Impact Guns in Roy will let you rent some guns and try them for something like $10.00. Try some other guns. If your wife's gun turns out to be fine, if nothing else, you will have a good time.

kdt1970

imported post

We have put around 250 rounds through it. with 2 jams.

We liked it also because of the unlimited,any ownerwarrenty.

she will be getting somthing better soon, but for now its better than nothing.

we got this one to see if it was somthing she really wanted to do (carry a gun) and to get some practice on. She is accually a pretty good shot.

And because of us her parents and brother all have gotten there CC permit.

Myself though, I really like my 457.

Leelando

imported post

kdt1970 wrote:
I want to re-extend my offer to sell anyone here anything you plan to carry at dealer cost. Springfield has a good deal right now, and I've got basically one of each on order (if an XD, XDM, or 1911 might work). PM for a price if you are interested.

kirkaroberts

imported post

kdt1970 wrote:
We have put around 250 rounds through it. with 2 jams.

We liked it also because of the unlimited,any ownerwarrenty.

we got this one to see if it was somthing she really wanted to do (carry a gun) and to get some practice on. She is accually a pretty good shot.

And because of us her parents and brother all have gotten there CC permit.

Myself though, I really like my 457.
Taurus has the same lifetime, unlimited, any owner warranty and is an excellent manufacturer in my humble opinion, despite their pricing. I have a .40 Taurus and have never had a jam, ever. I just bought a Walther in November, also an excellent manufacturer in my humble opinion, and did have trouble with it jamming. I discovered that it was the ammunition I was using and have not had a jam since with that firearm. Their warranty was only for one year and the original owner.

Don't let the lifetime warranties suck you into buying a gun. Some guns have those warranties because the guns suck. Some of the best guns out there may not have a lifetime warranty. I would select her next firearm based on what you want her lifetime to be, not the gun's, unless it is just a gun for the range. This is a descent place to compare automatics: http://www.gundirectory.com/body.asp?gun=Pistol&pp=1&sort=-3&pop=1 There may be better/other places that other members can refer you to. This was just the first one off the top of my head.

If you carry a huge firearm it will either be difficult to conceal, or if you OC you will get harassed much more than if you carry a nice compact.

It's great to hear that your wife is a pretty good shot and that you got other family members involved. I like the idea of law abiding, well practiced citizens carrying, CC or OC. We may need to back each other up until the PD gets there some day. Put a lot of rounds through that gun!

Have fun.:celebrate

caverat

imported post

The Taurus 24/7 is a decent gun I shoot one and have a little over 2k rounds threw it and never a jamb even done a little test and after a 2 weeks of rip out and dry wall work it still worked flawlessly but I'm in the market for a XDM