• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handcuffed, disarmed for obeying the law

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

This is completely uncalled for and I would hope this officer gets her ass chewed out for this clearly illegal action on her part. I say illegal because IT WAS THE OWNER'S PROPERTY!!! Where in the hell does law enforcement get off believing they can disarm and handcuff someone ON THEIR OWN PROPERTY who is abiding by the law and NOT the subject of intent?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Well, if you need a whole lot of money but just can't win the lottery, maybe this happening to you is the next best thing...at least you should get SOME money out of it. ;-)

Sounds like a pending lawsuit...or will be settled out of court.

-- John D.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

snip:

If these arrogant, uniformed employees of ours really want to treat us as the enemy, they may eventually get their wish, at which point they will discover they're vastly outnumbered -- and "backup" is never quite close enough to solve the problem they've created for themselves.
This is the line that all civil servants (inluding politicians) need to keep in mind at all times.

suntzu

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
snip:

If these arrogant, uniformed employees of ours really want to treat us as the enemy, they may eventually get their wish, at which point they will discover they're vastly outnumbered -- and "backup" is never quite close enough to solve the problem they've created for themselves.
This is the line that all civil servants (inluding politicians) need to keep in mind at all times.
they forgot that long ago--they think they can say and do anything they please.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reminds me of a recent discussion we had in Washingtong forum, where the 911 operator and the LEO feel that you shouldn't be armed if the police arrive, when you are the one who called them.

I of course disagree.

And then to leave the guy cuffed for a long time!!!!

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

suntzu wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
snip:

they forgot that long ago--they think they can say and do anything they please.

Just what part of Tennessee do you live in, anyway?

Where I live, LEO are pretty cool about LAC being armed. I've yet to be checked for my HCP; the deputies here are more interested inwhat model and calI'm carrying.

Back in October I figured up the ratio of HCP holders in my county, and came up with 1 in 14 residents over the age of 21 with HCP's.There were 483 HCP holders in Perry County, then. Last figures for Jan 1, 10, we have 506 HCP holders.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The responding officer was a lady cop, officer J. Rogers, badge number 13525.

"Upon presentation of my (firearms permit), the officer asked if I had the weapon on me to which I replied yes. She then said to spread my legs and put my hands behind my back. I complied and she then handcuffed me. While doing so, she said that she wanted to make certain 'that we were all safe.' "
Safe from who? The law-abiding citizen who called the police? Or from the idiot cop who violated his civil rights and grossly inflated the situation?

If she's really interested in making sure "that we were all safe," her best bet is to turn in her badge and gun, and find another job.

I usually had pretty good interaction with the cops in Vegas. Hell, I lived next door to two from Metro, both female. Neither one was the officer in question, though.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
snip:

In so many words, this is exactly what Thomas Jefferson, among other of the Founders, inferred in some of their writings.

Thundar

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
snip:

This is the whole reason for the 2nd A. To give the people the ability to fight tyranny.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"This calls for immediate discussion."

immediat.jpg

SouthernBoy

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
snip:

This is the whole reason for the 2nd A. To give the people the ability to fight tyranny.
Of course it is.

What so many people seem to forget is this. At the time of the creation of the Bill of Rights, men carried arms for several reasons. No one in their right mind would have given a thought to someone hunting food for his family. The same would be true for a man protecting himself or his family. It was a given and as natural as breathing. Neither of these things were a consideration for the Second Amendment. Someone would have been seen as crazy to suggest that people shouldn't hunt or that self-defense was perhaps somehow wrong.

That leaves only one other reason for the Second Amendment and we all know what that is. To serve as a guarantee that a free people shall remain free and in order for them to do so required they maintain their own arms as a check against government's power.

Very simple.

opusd2

imported post

Just proves the Police Mentality that anyone but them are criminals. Of course not all LEO are like that, but it seems like a rampant disease to allow them to treat civilians like criminals that they just need to find the law they broke.

And if a police officer with special training feels threatened by someone who hasn't the training, then they need a different job. Maybe listening for the alarm that alerts you to the fries being done.

FMCDH

imported post

The major problem here, as I see it, is a matter of presumption and expectation. We as a society are allowing our LEAs and other government agencies to develop the expectation that anyone they deal with on a day to day basis will NOT be armed, so therefor, the logical presumption on the part of any LEO is that they need not worry about a firearm unless one is presented, and policy need not take into serious account the armed citizen variable.

This presumption creates a dangerous, false sense of security on an officers part that they need not consider a firearm unless seen or informed about it, so naturally, they are socked and unsure how to appropriately act/react about an individual who is carrying a firearm. Over-reaction than places the LAC at risk at the hands of the LEO.

The old adage begs to be stated here...."When all you do, all day long, is pound nails, everything starts to look like a nail."

There are few professions that this adage applies more aptly to than law enforcement.

This mindset however is quickly becoming a dangerous liability for LEAs in today's America, where more and more LAC are choosing to carry on a daily basis, and laws country wide are swinging from the cherry pick and potholed laws of places allowed, to the short list of places not.

LEAs need to sit up and take notice of these facts and start training our public servants to expect the LACs they interact with every day to be carrying. The days of the safe presumptuous equation, that gun equals criminal, are long over, and are becoming serious legal and public relations liabilities.

An LEO knowing for a fact that a given individual is carrying a gun may be safe knowledge, but going into every encounter with the expectation that everyone and anyone may be armed is a much safer practice.

When the predominant mindset swings from that of a reaction to the presence of a firearm, to that of assumption of the presence of a firearm, the policies and procedures will shift in both the LEOs, and the public's favor.