• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handcuffed, disarmed for obeying the law

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

"The responding officer was a lady cop, officer J. Rogers, badge number 13525."

Officer Rogershandled the interactionquite incompetently, based on the details in OP's link. I wouldn't fire her, I don't think. But she needs to understand the extent of her illogic and bad judgment and the severity of her offenses.

When LEO's do a great job, they get praised. When they do a piss-poor job they should get criticism. And consequences.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

This is one of the problems with female police officers. They are not as strong as their male counterparts and therefore, believe they must resort to containment methods in order to control people and maintain the upper hand. Years ago, when women first began appearing on the streets as LEO's acting as would the men on the force, the incidences of police shootings increased because females were found to be more apt to pull their guns and use them then were males.

And don't give me any of this sexist crap - I don't swim in that pool. Facts are facts and they speak for themselves. The femi-nazis have done more harm to women than they will ever admit to or even know.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
This is one of the problems with female police officers. They are not as strong as their male counterparts and therefore, believe they must resort to containment methods in order to control people and maintain the upper hand. Years ago, when women first began appearing on the streets as LEO's acting as would the men on the force, the incidences of police shootings increased because females were found to be more apt to pull their guns and use them then were males.

.... Facts are facts and they speak for themselves.

This sounds plausible. Maybe. Do you have a cite?

SouthernBoy wrote:
And don't give me any of this sexist crap - I don't swim in that pool...The femi-nazis have done more harm to women than they will ever admit to or even know.
There's something very, very tortured about the logic in this statement.

Actually, SB, I do believe thatit invertedly proves you're wrong about where you swim...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

HankT wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

.... Facts are facts and they speak for themselves.

This sounds plausible. Maybe. Do you have a cite?

SouthernBoy wrote:
And don't give me any of this sexist crap - I don't swim in that pool...The femi-nazis have done more harm to women than they will ever admit to or even know.
There's something very, very tortured about the logic in this statement.

Actually, SB, I do believe thatit invertedly proves you're wrong about where you swim...
Very good question about my comment regarding more shootings by female officers than males. Yes, there was documented evidence which I saw, but of course, I am not able to pull it from my pocket.

As for the "tortured" thing, listen. I have a wife and two daughters, Do you think for one moment that I would want them to earn less than a man for the same (must be the same) amount of work or any similar arguments that the femi-nazis like to present? Hell no. What does concern me is putting women in positions were they could get themselves or others injured or killed due to their lack of strength or other factors. I'm a realist and accept and know that there are differences between the sexes for good reason. God didn't make any mistakes. That's all - it's that simple.

The "pool" to which I refer is that which so many people have seemed to adopt via PC and other venues, that says that women and men are the same - i.e., identical. Nonsense.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Nobody hated Andy Griffith.

I know this isnt mayberry, but the as government leads, so shall the people follow. If people perceive the police as thugs and theives as they are now, then the people will act as such. If the people perceive the police as someone to rely on, to trust, and count on, andif they can be trusted from everything from a conversation to the constitution, then the people will begin to see the police with a sense of admiration again.

As it is now, when I see a cop who has someone pulled over, I wonder if the person had actually done anything wrong, or if the cop is just out robbing people again. If I see them, Im automatically nervous, and I dont even trust them in a casual conversation.

bigdaddy1

imported post

From the follow up in the forum it seems like the "lady officer" is not being re-assigned, re-educated or refuted in any way.

Quote from a post in their Vegas forum;

Metro officers may exercise their own discretion when determining whether to disarm an individual or not.

No indicationas to any corrective action taken by her superiors, at least in that forum.

I am fully disgusted.

chiefjason

imported post

theschultz wrote:
My question is, "Is the order to 'Get up against the wall' AND 'Cuff up' legal orders?"  Terry stop requirements are 'armed AND dangerous'.

Dave

You missed the memo? In some parts of this country armed IS dangerous. Which is exactly how this situation was dealt with, even though all the info pointed to him being a stand up guy. It's not all like that yet. Hopefully we can regain the areas we lost. I bet they have to loose a lot of money to change the SOP there though.

AZkopper

imported post

This is sad, wrong, and illegal.

I could see this happening in CA or some places, that don't have any Right or even permit to carry, but this was Nevada--where open carry's legality is supposed to be recognized, and CC is legislatively permitted.

To 'detain' (handcuff) a person for conducting a legal activity, and be open about it no less, is unjustified. This 'detention' borders on 'arrest', also.

There are many factors that contribute to what happened, and continues to happen (anyone remember New Mexico at the end of last year?):

-Large Urban city PD's(LA, LV, etc) have an 'us vs. them' mentality that is ingrained from the academy on. This focus on 'safety at the expense of everyone else's rights', leads to such illegal detentions and illegal siezures.

-Most large urban cities have a strong anti-individual, anti-personal responsibility, anti-firearm (which is the core of individuality and responsibility) streak. Urban areas tend to be more 'statist'than rural areas (just look at 'red state vs. blue stat' charts, based on counties).

-Las Vegas, in particular, thinks it is 'above' the Nevada constitution and law. Clark County gets special gun registration "rights", and there have been numerous reports on this site of LVMPD detaining people for excercising their rights to carry firearms in public.

It is a systemic problem in this country. I do believe, however, that perceptions of firearm ownership and bearing arms have been changing for the better over the last two decades. From CCW permits being issued to almost no one in the mid 80's, to now most states have such programs. The Open Carry movement, while always strong in some states (AZ being one), has grown across the country, gaining national attention and strength.

I have hopes that as bearing arms once again becomes mainstream, that LE and gov't will have to adapt.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

-Las Vegas, in particular, thinks it is 'above' the Nevada constitution and law. Clark County gets special gun registration "rights", and there have been numerous reports on this site of LVMPD detaining people for excercising their rights to carry firearms in public. -- AZkopper

That's wherethe governor (if he has a spine that is) to take names and kick some a$$ -- tell the mayor of Las Vegas to get with the program or arrestthe SOB. And the police chief, too, if necessary. Set an example VERY publicly: Obey the law or go to jail...the law isnot just for the unwashed masses.

Whether it's firearms carry issues in Las Vegas, thatlimp-wrist mayor of San Francisco mocking immigration law, or that fool in New Orleans mishandling just about everything, governors should be the in-charge type, and not be afraid to be aggressive when necessary. After all, the whole state should be on the same page, whateverthe issue/law is.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any governors who have it in them to stand tall, but that doesn't mean we can't demand that they do...until someone with guts gets elected (yeah, I know that is unlikely to happen).

-- John D.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

People who take action to right a wrong will never be elected by a population of people who never take action to right a wrong. They will only ever elect their own kind, intentionally or not.